SS316L problem?

PepeSilvia

Hello everyone!

I have a Therion 166. I'm using UD 24AWG 316L SS wire from Fasttech. 2.5mm diameter single coil, 5-6 wraps coming out to be around 0.25ohm. The numbers add up on Steam Engine.

I tried using stock 316 material, and the 316L Elite profile from Steam Engine. 

Firing at 20 watts with no preheat, temp limit at 420F. On both profiles the temp limit hits after a second or so I get very little vapor. After the second or third puff in a succession the temp limit hits almost instantly and I get no vapor.

It wasn't as bad when the coil was freshly made last night, it keeps getting worse. This is my second time making a similar coil with the same wire, and same results. 

SS430 works beautifully, and I experience none of these issues under similar settings. 

Using Escribe 1.2 SP5.2

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Can I provide any additional information to help you understand it better?

Edited by PepeSilvia

Temp limit @ 420F @ 20W seems far to low for me. I also use 316L @ 2.5 mm though mainly Clapton (26AWG + 32 AWG) @ 0,55 Ohms and 30 watts and have set my temp limit to 482F (250C) without getting any too warm vapor or dry hits with an empty tank. The built-in 316 curve from eScribe/Lost Vape  is as good as identical with the wire wizard curve from steamengine for 316L Elite btw. So you don't necessarly have to use it on the mod instead of the 316-profile.

I guess you just have to ramp up your temp a bit.

Edited by embe71
  • Like 1

The thing is the exact same setup on SS430 works perfectly for me. I put a new build on today with 28AWG SS430. 2.5mm, ~8 wraps, 0.8 ohm. Temperature constantly hovers around 375-400 degrees. and only after chain vaping for a bit does it hit the temp limit. 

I get plenty of cool, almost cold vapor, and fantastic taste. 

I'm just switching over from Kanthal, when I used either 27awg or 24awg wires with the same amount of wraps and had a similar experience to SS430 at similar watts. I switched to TC to avoid dry hits when I forget to top up my Origen V2.

Edited by PepeSilvia

Obviously your temp-setting doesn't work with 316(L) and the setup you used (24 AWG, 5-6 wraps @ 2.5 mm): You won't get any dry hits @ 480 F. Dry cotton starts to begin signs of beeing burnt @ 428 F. Wet cotton as in your atomizer takes much, much higher temperatures without producing dry hits. Just go up with the temp bit by bit untill you are satisfied with the vape. It should't get to warm also untill you go much higher. Just give it a try: You can't compare temp-settings for different materials (or even coil-setups) anyway as the same temp-setting not necessarily produces the same result..

Edited by embe71

The example you posted with SS430 had more wraps compared to the SS316L, so more wire to heat up which kind of counters the thinner wire and also more surface to produce vapor.

I can't predict coil-behaviour with the two materials, all I wanted to say is better adjust the temp according to your taste and likings per coil than going with an absolute number for all materials/coils.

With my Therion 166 I use 250C as my sweetspot for the same built (316L) that I vaped on my Yihi-chipset-MOD with 220 C and the result is the same.

Edited by embe71

On 6/6/2017 at 3:51 AM, PepeSilvia said:

Are you saying I should be expecting a big difference between SS430 and SS316L using the same sized coil, same temp limit, firing at the same watts?

You're going to experience a difference between the 2 grades yes because 430 has a higher TCR value than 316l.  Going to be more accurate with 430 as well.  I'd like to find some SS 410 wire.  Has the highest TCR out of all the grades of stainless. 

This has been mentioned before on the forum, but I and others have had very inconsistent results from SS316L. I've bought from many different vendors and the alloy varies greatly. Some wire labelled as SS316L I would go so far as to say is something else entirely. SS430 is good but difficult to work with due to the springiness of the steel. Frankly, my favourite is SS304 - it's easy to work with, the coils tend to last longer and the TC control is more consistent.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dl12345 said:

This has been mentioned before on the forum, but I and others have had very inconsistent results from SS316L. I've bought from many different vendors and the alloy varies greatly. Some wire labelled as SS316L I would go so far as to say is something else entirely. SS430 is good but difficult to work with due to the springiness of the steel. Frankly, my favourite is SS304 - it's easy to work with, the coils tend to last longer and the TC control is more consistent.

Yah I was just reading that huge thread about SS316L. Bummer, I thought the DNA chips were the best there is for TC.

I ordered the vareity pack of coils (Clapton, Alien, Fused Clapton etc.) from FT. I really wanted to switch to premade coils as I don't have the time anymore, but looks like it won't happen with TC.

My roll of SS430 is the Unkaman 28awg one. There's a shop near me that sells SS430 in 24awg. Would that be considerably more springy than SS316 in 24awg?

Just turn up the TC limit on your 316L build, its not a big deal, i use both 317L and 316L in my builds, since Evolv changed to SP's in Escribe, all my builds now need to be set to 240C instead of 200C for the temp limit, to get the same vape i used to get, but i dont get any dry hits and ive vaped my tanks dry on occasion.

• Like 1