Please help me-meant to cheer me up, but not even working with new battery.

Conanthewarrior

Hi people. 

As I may of mentioned, I sustained brain damage on the 23rd April 2014. 

Due to this I have been affected in various ways and am on multiple medications. 

I collect mods, and they make me happy. 

I got a hotcig DNA200 that was DOA, saved the battery but it died within 5 days. 

Today, I received a turnigy battery, that I installed, and guess what? It will NOT turn on, unless connected to escribe-and even then it will not fire, it just says 'OHMS TOO HIGH" when in device monitor they are not, and in atomizer anylyzer they are at 0.092 for single coil NI200 and around 0.157 ohms for a dual coil 26 gauge titanium build. 

I really regret this purchase-what I regret even more is ordering the hotcig battery for $45 dollars to get it working-this battery was going to be a kind of 'bridge' to use until I received the Actual hotcig battery. 

It has been soldered correctly and is perfectly charged and balanced, Escribe shows this. 

I am annoyed as now I have spent more than £120 on something that will not work, even with a new battery. 

Please, I am begging anyone who can help me to get it working, get it working. 

If I try to charge on the wall with a USB adapter, it just says "DNA200-Warranty issue" and won't charge. 

I am wondering if there is the slightest possibility it will work with the hotcig-as it failed completely after I removed the battery to try another in it. 

Maybe the solder I am using is causing an issue? 

There is no way it has been polarity reversed, so I can't see it being the fuse, I just pray it will work with the hotcig battery, then I can leave it well alone inside the battery and hopefully vape, but I doubt it as Escribe is showing the battery voltage and charging it fine. 

Due to the damage I sustained it has affected my thinking and emotions-right now I am literally crying over a mod, I understand this is stupid but I genuinely can not help it. I have 9 other perfectly working regulated mods, 3 mech mods, but I want THIS mod to work. 

So, anyone that can help me, please do. I bought this to cheer me up, and it is doing the entire opposite.

What would cause it to say ohms too high when they really are not? 

I have spoken to my family and in a fortnight I am going to get a DNA200 from the UK as they understand me. It will cost me a lot of money I can't really afford but it is the only way I can stop thinking of a mod not working that cost so much. 

But-if I can get this working, that is perfect!

Please anyone, help me. I am begging you. Conan.

OK-Productions actions succeeded-so it seems nothing is wrong with the chip. It MUST be my soldering not allowing enough power-hopefully the hotcig battery sorts this. I can not wait to get it. 

I changed the power to 4W for a test fire, as it said not within 4.04W, so tried that. It test fired and succeeded, escribe turned green. 

So surely it IS just the battery and my soldering skills have diminished since my injury, or the solder is the wrong type. Multicore solder, noticed it wouldn't really stick easily to the lugs from the battery housing-hopefuly it is this that is the issue. 

It will also fire at 4 watts- it must be my soldering! Any higher it will not fire, but it DOES fire at 4, above that I get an ohms too high error. 

So, I am going to wait the real battery until I get another device, as this one is likely to be fine-although I do not want to jinx myself. 

Hurry up 13-25 days! Then I will truly be happy as if the mod works, I have lost NOTHING as gearbest have agreed with paypals help to refund the 45 dollar cost of a new battery. I am actually happy! 

If anyone thinks something is wrong though, please let me know. The full issue did not actually start untill I unsoldered the semi faulty battery for another-then it will now only fire at 4 watts, but all tests in Escribe show the actual chip to be fine. 

I would stop messing with the old battery housing if you think your soldering skills are rusty. It will take some willpower but wait until the new battery section arrives. The risk is if you do something that damages the board then you have a real problem. From what you've said it seems like it could be the fuse but you say you've tested the fuse? Let us know how it works or what it does when the replacement battery section arrives.

Mad Scientist said:

I would stop messing with the old battery housing if you think your soldering skills are rusty. It will take some willpower but wait until the new battery section arrives. The risk is if you do something that damages the board then you have a real problem. From what you've said it seems like it could be the fuse but you say you've tested the fuse? Let us know how it works or what it does when the replacement battery section arrives.

I haven't TESTED the fuse as such, but visually inspected it and it looks fine. Plus I have never reversed polarity or caused reason for the fuse to go-but I agree, seeing as my soldering skills are not what they used to be, I will just have to wait out for the battery.

I have run tests in Escribe, and it DOES fire, albeit at 4.5 watts max-any higher I get a battery or ohm error. I believe this is due to my soldering-as the battery completely failed when I removed it to test another battery, and re attached it, so I am sure that it was my soldering that is causing not enough power to be able to be drawn. It shows up in escribe as charged and such-like there is a connection, but I believe it to be a very weak connection.

I hope its not the fuse anyway-I used (I forget due to my memory) part of escribe, where you install firmware, name the device, and it test fires to make sure everything is OK. That passed as normal-which I why I believe the fuse to be OK-surely it would not fire if there was a fuse problem?

Anyway, 2-3 1/2 weeks and I will know for sure if it will work, or is garbage.

If it is the fuse-what can I do?

If it is that I will probably just get another DNA200 from the UK, but I will ensure I test the hotcig with the correct battery, as I believe it MAY work, as its odd it stopped the exact moment I took the battery out, and soldered it back in. Surely that has to be the answer?

Conanthewarrior said:

I would like to add-how do I test the fuse? I have a multimeter and other gadgets, could any of them be used to test it?

EDIT-OK, Multimeter at each end, lowest ohm setting. Should see some resistance-if there is none, the fuse is blown? Am I correct and I can test the fuse this way yes?

There should be zero (or very near zero depending on the resistance of the meter leads) resistance across the fuse. But like I said, maybe don't mess with it at this point. The new battery might resolve everything and futzing around with it might cause another issue somewhere else.

Mad Scientist said:

[QUOTE=Conanthewarrior]I would like to add-how do I test the fuse? I have a multimeter and other gadgets, could any of them be used to test it?

EDIT-OK, Multimeter at each end, lowest ohm setting. Should see some resistance-if there is none, the fuse is blown? Am I correct and I can test the fuse this way yes?

There should be zero (or very near zero depending on the resistance of the meter leads) resistance across the fuse. But like I said, maybe don't mess with it at this point. The new battery might resolve everything and futzing around with it might cause another issue somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

I do get where you are coming from , but I should be OK testing a fuse lol (I'm not THAT damaged, just my thoughts and actions have been affected mainly).

It IS THE FUSE. I got NO resistance reading across the fuse-I would expect a very low reading if it was still functioning wouldn't I?

At least this has saved me waiting up to a month for a new device. I can just order one in 2 weeks.

On another note-what to do with this one? Who repairs DNA mods? At this point-I just want rid of it really.

Conanthewarrior said:

[I do get where you are coming from , but I should be OK testing a fuse lol (I'm not THAT damaged, just my thoughts and actions have been affected mainly).

It IS THE FUSE. I got NO resistance reading across the fuse-I would expect a very low reading if it was still functioning wouldn't I?

At least this has saved me waiting up to a month for a new device. I can just order one in 2 weeks.

On another note-what to do with this one? Who repairs DNA mods? At this point-I just want rid of it really.

Here is my recommendation but it will take some patience. You indicated that the new battery is already on its way so might as well wait for the new battery section to arrive. Test its operation with the new battery. If the fuse is indeed blown, of course it won't operate. Contact the vendor, explain that even with the new battery it's not functional and ask to return the unit and battery for exchange for a functional unit. If they won't help you out, open a ticket with evolv. Replacing a tiny surface mount fuse is not a task for the uninitiated lol.

Mad Scientist said:

[QUOTE=Conanthewarrior][I do get where you are coming from , but I should be OK testing a fuse lol (I'm not THAT damaged, just my thoughts and actions have been affected mainly).

Here is my recommendation but it will take some patience. You indicated that the new battery is already on its way so might as well wait for the new battery section to arrive. Test its operation with the new battery. If the fuse is indeed blown, of course it won't operate. Contact the vendor, explain that even with the new battery it's not functional and ask to return the unit and battery for exchange for a functional unit. If they won't help you out, open a ticket with evolv. Replacing a tiny surface mount fuse is not a task for the uninitiated lol.[/QUOTE]

I am going to await the battery as suggested. Maybe the fuse is a very low resistance fuse-so low my multimeter wont show any resistance across it indicating it is functioning. On closer inspection with a magnifying glass, it seems it IS intact, with the surface running one side to the other.

I remain optimistic aswell-I hope my battery arrives fast though, as I am going to order another DNA 200, the VT200 Hcigar next saturday from the UK.

i agree I could no way replace that tiny fuse myself lol.

If it turns out that the hotcig does work, bonus, I have two DNA200 devices.

Legros said:

If the fuse is blow the screen will only light up when powered by USB On battery only board will do nothing

That is what is happening-but it will vape on USB with my home made job-Albeit only at 4.5W maximum-which leads me to think it is the battery/my solder skills. Surely it would not fire at all with a blown fuse?

I am going to order the Hcigar vt200 next saturday from the UK, as the shop covers warranty issues and I just feel better doing that.

But-it DOES only power on on USB. I have contacted Evolv to tell them the issues I have been having and suspect it to be the fuse-I have also added that I have a new battery on the way as well, so it is quite important to me to get it working.

I have gave a very in depth explanation to them-as hotcig is not replying to me, and gearbest is just lying, I doubt I will even get the refund until paypal sort it-I have raised a claim, it's been 4 days I think and gearbest have not contacted paypal-surely if they don't contact them in the 10 days it goes in my favour?

Hopefully, the new battery just sorts things, but if it only powers on with USB with a blown fuse-that is exactly what is happening.

Conanthewarrior said:

[QUOTE=Mad Scientist]I would stop messing with the old battery housing if you think your soldering skills are rusty. It will take some willpower but wait until the new battery section arrives. The risk is if you do something that damages the board then you have a real problem. From what you've said it seems like it could be the fuse but you say you've tested the fuse? Let us know how it works or what it does when the replacement battery section arrives.

I haven't TESTED the fuse as such, but visually inspected it and it looks fine. Plus I have never reversed polarity or caused reason for the fuse to go-but I agree, seeing as my soldering skills are not what they used to be, I will just have to wait out for the battery.

I have run tests in Escribe, and it DOES fire, albeit at 4.5 watts max-any higher I get a battery or ohm error. I believe this is due to my soldering-as the battery completely failed when I removed it to test another battery, and re attached it, so I am sure that it was my soldering that is causing not enough power to be able to be drawn. It shows up in escribe as charged and such-like there is a connection, but I believe it to be a very weak connection.

I hope its not the fuse anyway-I used (I forget due to my memory) part of escribe, where you install firmware, name the device, and it test fires to make sure everything is OK. That passed as normal-which I why I believe the fuse to be OK-surely it would not fire if there was a fuse problem?

Anyway, 2-3 1/2 weeks and I will know for sure if it will work, or is garbage.

If it is the fuse-what can I do?

If it is that I will probably just get another DNA200 from the UK, but I will ensure I test the hotcig with the correct battery, as I believe it MAY work, as its odd it stopped the exact moment I took the battery out, and soldered it back in. Surely that has to be the answer?[/QUOTE]

Less is good .....adding alot of solder will not make it better.... I would desolder it and tin the wire and just melt it to the pad .... too much heat on the pad will cause it to detach from the board

I tried again today-cleaned all the contacts correctly, used the correct flux, and got it connected.

In escribe it is charging normally, cells are balanced, but it wont fire over 4.5 watts, above that it states 'Ohms too high' when they are most definitely not-I used atomozer anylyzer and it was at around 0.09 for NI200, and 0.155 for dual coil Titanium.

If the fuse was blown-would it even fire, even at such low watttage?

I am hoping when the real battery arrives in a few weeks, it will work, but I have doubts it will.

If I try to charge not using escribe, using a standard USB wall charger it just stays on warranty issue and does nothing.

Next saturday I am ordering the Hcigar VT200 from the UK. It is the only DNA200 device I can afford and I wont be happy untill I have a working device.

If a week later the battery turns up for the hotcig, and it works, that a bonus, two DNA200 devices.

If it doesn't, I know never to use gearbest again or buy a hotcig product, as their customer service is lacking extremely, it took 3 emails for a reply, and hotcig gave me basic information which I already understood.

He asked for the model number and then would start the warranty process, so I obliged-4 days later and 2 more messages, no contact.

I think Evolv really need to get onto these Chinese manufacturers who are causing problems, such as hotcig. My friend in the US is having the exact same issues as me-mine is model 0539, his is also the pre facelift version-I wonder if there was more than just a change of buttons as the early batch had so many issues? Gearbest have removed it from their site and no longer stock it due to the issues.

What would cause my mod to display 'Ohms too high' when they are not, not allowing me to fire above 4.5W? If it was the fuse, it would not fire at all would it?

It only powers on in escribe. I was tempted to bridge the fuse but knew not too-if the fuse did blow, it blew for a reason, and I would be putting myself in danger, so I am not doing that.

Anyone that can answer the ohms too high question would be a legend, and as it is still firing up to 4.5W, it can not be the fuse can it? It must be the battery. It only turns on when connected to escribe.

I have just been messed about so much by gearbest and the company, I just want another device even if it means paying as much as I can afford to get a device. A different mod is out of my price range-it will have to be the Hcigar Vt200. My US friend has two, one still boxed as he got them at a steal, and after correctly doing battery anylyzer his battery was indeed 1300MAH, worked out by the W/h's.