dna 200 fried

hdeman19

Got my lavabox dna 200 in the mail at about 4oclock on wendsay. After putting my mutation xv4 on it. It worked for about an hour and a half before it died. It wont turn back on, even putting it on the charger does nothing. I took it down to my local vape shop to try and see if they knew anything. First thing they did was remove the back panel and the battery to get a look at the board. There was no moister or juice on the board so they put it back together. THey then connected it to the computer, and nothing came up. The computer didnt read it. THey told me it could be a bad dna 200 board I got in contact with volcano ecigs and they are having me send it back on there charge, to see if it is under warrenty. It should be under the 90 day warrenty since i was using it for an hour and a half. If the board did go out. Did i just get a dud? Do the dna 200's go out that fast?

Most die due to the makers error.. I'm pretty sure if it was the fuse the screen will work when plugged in.. The only problem I know that evolv are having is the warranty message due to the board going out of calibration. I'd say it's something volcano have done

It's not impossible for some of the failures to be created by the makers it's also not impossible there were / are problems with the board itself.  There have been many reports of devices failing after a period of time has passed which would in general indicate the device was built appropriately.   Some of these makers that have experienced the Dead Bug, Vaporshark, Opus, VapeCige have reported that there's known problems with some of the boards that cause them to just die and that Evolv is aware this.  

While some of these makers clearly point the finger at the Evolv board I've not read any statements from Evolv as to why in some cases consumers having multiple dead units.  One mod maker on this forum reported 6 out of 58 boards failed, sure some of those could have been due to the maker but that's a bit over 10% failure rate which is very high for a production release.

So to attribute most the failures to "makers error" IMO is a bit like turning a blind eye, if you read the forums.  Several of these makers have been making devices for years and are well capable of building electronic devices.

I'm not saying that there aren't some issues Evolv are getting with the board but I'll still stand by what I said as I still think most are the makers error even if it's something as simple as not trying to charge the battery before connecting it to the board. As I said though most of the boards that have gone wrong are due to warranty service message (going out of calibration) or a fuse going.. You could be right in your case and it may be a fault with the board but I haven't seen many boards go without warranty service, a faulty battery or a fuse going and the only one which is evolvs issue out of them is the warranty service but they have still replaced boards no matter what the cause.. If you ask that mod maker how many of those 6 was replaced, I would bet they'd say all of them.. Evolv are always doing their best to put customers first and want all faulty boards too examine as without this feedback they can't make any improvements. From previous fails the only problem I can remember with symptoms like yours is a faulty battery.. Put in a ticket rather than send it too volcano and ask evolv what was wrong and see if they let you know is all I can suggest, that's upto you as the shop should have replaced on the spot and dealt with the issue themselves.

My VT200 board dried after a month of use, not smcgasing not hook up to Escripe I tried forcing the firmware over and over. With no luck my dealer told me I had no warranty witch was BS so I just replaced the DNA200 my self and it's working fine. So I'll RMA the board bad to Evolvv

Gm111 said:

hdeman19 said:

Evolv will eventually get it back from volcano. Once volcano rounds up 20-50 returns with bad boards, whatever the reason for then not working, they'll send them back to Evolv. Sending it back to volcano is the best bet for a quick turnaround. (Which I see you've already done.) Then you're guaranteed a new device rather than having Evolv take it apart, then volcano not wanting to accept the return since it had been disassembled. That way Evolv will still receive it back for evaluation.

I used my first Lavabox for about a week before it died with warranty service screen. I used the second for all of 2 days before it died in the same way. Quite honestly the only reason I investigated this forum and made an account was due to these failures. The first one wouldn't even recognize when plugged into USB after it failed and eScribe could not load it up. The second one could be monitored in eScribe but all it told me was each cell & pack was reading 0.00V and the screen would not operate in any way without direct usb power. The only two settings I modified were adding 9.99 watt hours so it would recognize the full battery and adding the SSV Ti TCR Curve CSV file to a profile for the Ti build. I left the early voltage cutoff and everything else standard.

I was running 0.15 ohm 9 wrap 0.5mm SSV Ti dual coil build on an Aqua V2 clone with these two failed units. I never saw the resistance swing like crazy but figured hey, if I am going to stick with this device maybe I should try a different atty next time just to be sure it wasn't problematic.

When I got my 3rd replacement unit I also paired it with a Tobeco Velocity clone using the same build. I added all of their recommended settings and uploaded their battery profile CSV file, all of this information was not posted or available when I had my first two units. I have been using it solid this entire week and have experienced no problems other than it sometimes overshooting the temp setting by about 10 degrees which is not a big deal to me as I stay around 440-460F.

Something that I noticed on the 2 failed units was that after leaving it cold for a while, say overnight, even though the atomizer resistance was not jumping around, quite often the first hit would obviously be not appropriately temp controlled and in fact it was scorching hot and uncomfortably warm. The first failure they told me it was a standard defective unit and the second time they told me it was a problem with the chip calibration from Evolve. I have not experienced this behavior with the third unit, thankfully. For what it's worth I have left the preheat setting at the default high end but I might bring it back down a bit based on what I have read here, even though it should technically not be a problem.

I must also say the Volcano warranty service department does their best to process these requests and get their customers back in working order. Sure, I had to use my old mech mod & kanthal build as a backup for a while when this was getting sorted out and it was mildly disappointing, but that's really not that big of a deal to me because they obviously tried their best and had very good turnaround times from receiving each failed unit, generally within 48 hours. Not that it makes the situation "better" by negative comparison, but a big part of the reason I went with this mod outside of the form factor and fit and finish was the Volcano track record, I never read anything bad about them, unlike some other companies which will not be mentioned.

I hope you reach a peaceful and satisfying resolution and based on my experiences I am confident they will do their best to take care of you.