Reuleaux Battery Charging Temperature and also Battery Dischrge

Vaportron

Hey so in escribe (while the mod is charging via usb inside escribe) i notice when my reu is sitting on the table as it should the temp was ever increasing to 98*F when i couldnt take it anymore and flipped it upside down and immediately the temperature began to drop (finally resting at about 73*F). I recommend charging the batteries in this device with no atoizers connected and sitting upside down with the 510 connection flat on the table, exposing all air holes better.

1.)Did you notice when connected to escribe when you reach a ful 4.2v charge instead of remaining charged the batteries begin to discharge?

2.)Also when i input usb amp i set it to 1.0A why does it only charge at ~0.5A on escribe, does it do this at the wall also? (with a 1.oA wall charger does it only receive ~0.5A?)

When the mod is connected to a 1A charger at the wall (not on escribe but through usb wall charger) it will charge to 4.2v and remain 4.2v

It's the air inlets on the bottom they are blocked when it is on a flat surface, but when you pick it up chances are your hand blocks most of the air outlets.  Maybe charging on a uneven surface or putting a pencil or something under it will allow more airflow through the vent holes.

Think your :5A escribe charge is to do with the computer usb outlet. There are a few fast charge computer apps depending on the computers caperbilitys, ive heard one story of a friends neighbour charging an ecig pen thing, through a fast charge app... it went off like a pipe bomb, .. they say ..

Well ive re read it and your grammer is as bad as my spelling, and i havnt noticed anything when connected to escribe when charging because i havent, all my 200s run on lipos as designed to, by the manufacture, quoting evolv, all responsible mod manufactures use lipo.. the only dealings i have with charging 18650 batteries besides my dna 40s is through a 4 sled nitecore for a sigelei 100 and a twin mech box and i sit that on a block paver to keep it cool, i havnt got ten twelve hours or whatever to sit and watch three 18650s charging at :50 amp. Even when using them as a twin paralal on a dna 40 the lag and the sink between them is awful, twin 26650 is even worse god knows what its like with three, i'll stick to me lipos thanx P.S it may be discharging after full charge because its upside down and the sparks and currents are falling out.. have you looked on the floor??? you havnt realy fully charged it, just one cell is probly fully charged then its sinking into and stabalising between the other two, making it look like a discharge..if you leave it on long enough it will fully charge if your batterys are ok, but like i said long time :50AMP long time..

My reply was cut short by the kebab delivery man, I would like to say sorry, but I am not (joke)

So the 0.5 A is likely a limit set in windows, in earlier versions you could set the current limit in control panel but since 8, maybe 7 you can't and 0.5 A is all you will get.

The batteries discharging after reaching 4.2 could just be the cells settling, balance discharging on the highest cell(s) or just the power running the screen. 

For me the whole point of this mod is that I can charge my 18650 separately and at 2 A, 4 VTC4s in 70 mins, 25Rs about 90 mins.

2 x Xtar SP2, I am not a Nitecore fan just because they are slow there is nothing wring with them I just like to only charge batteries while I am in the room and awake.  But if you have 2 or more sets most people will have enough time to charge, but unitl you get your charger I suggest you top up charge more often Li are not like NiCad and NiMh they don't have a memory effect.

From post 9::: I brought my nitecore charger when i first started, it is slow, and does get almost worryingly warm when its charging four batteries, it is sat on a concreat block to help heat sink, but having said that the batteries dont get warm and i like the idear of charging nice and slow nice and cool, hopefully prolonging the battery life..

black lace said:

I brought my nitecore charger when i first started, it is slow, and does get almost worryingly warm whenits charging four, it is sat on a concreat block to help heat sink, but having said that the batteries dont get warm and i like the idear of charging nice and slow nice and cool, hopefully prolonging the battery life..

Most of the heat comes from the charger, when I did my first DNA200 I got a LiPo Hobby charger (Turnigy B6), then got a temp sensor for it of eBay for a couple of quid. When I charge VTC4s or 25Rs from that at 2 A they don't get that hot < 40 C, but in 1 & 2 A 18650 chargers they get much warmer.  One day I will break the XTars and wire them to seperat battery cradles and maybe add a heat sink as heat is not great for batteries.

Vaportron said:

They werent on the floor. I looked everywhere. I think i would have seen them. it only takes ~5 hours. who doesnt have 5 hours to sit and watch a battery charge? It upside down to cool the most efficient way while charging.

Seriously for a minut our mate, five hours to charge three 18650s with only a half amp usb charger, two must be dead or badly fitted regarding a contact and the one is piggybacking the others to give a reading.

black lace said:

I"ll have to look up xtars and turnigy b6, youve lost me. Lol

The bottom battery in this pic doesn't get hot because it is not soaking up the heat from the charger, it stayed at 23 C while the 2 in the XTar charger get much warmer from the heat generated inside the charger, they are all charging at 2 A for the same length of time 60 mins in the pic when the temp was at it's highest.  
[20160103_170913] 

arh OK I see what your on about, I hooked something up on a similar line for a DNA 40 with a broken charger .50amp on board charger, broke down, but probably got beer in it,, a temp fix while I order a new board to fit but this sled puts out 1amp. I don't think there would be room for the new evolve 1 amp charger, I think the 1590 a boxes are a cracking little home build but a pain in the neck as far as maintenance goes, I've already had to convert failed push type fireing buttons on four of these to the newer mi tech tactile, but as it goes, one gets one they all want one..lol..

sled_charger.jpg

OK thanks, I have used a similar .750 version, they have a bright blue light full charge, but for the above little mod it will need the evolve .50 board because  its tiny compared to those,
i'm not that conversant with electronics, don't mind fitting it, to anything, anywhere on the planet for that matter,  but don't ask me how it works.

hi there dont know it this helps 

I have changed my screen layouts on mod as i not using temp control at this time to show battery % and charging etc

while charging via computer usb my REU shows charging at .4 to.5   amps
while charging at  wall outlet usb  "    "        "           "     at .7 to .95 amps

so the max .5 on a pc ucb is prob a windows thing as someone already mentioned 

the wall outlet usb i am using at this time is only 1 amp max will try and find a 2 amp later this week and see if it will draw more current and charge any faster 

just my 2cents  I have noticed a difference between wall and pc usb charging

Yes like a default .50 amp standard, but am absolutly certain some new computers have an app controled fast charge usb port, so you can select whatever.. not about to buy one just for that though, lol .. looking at chargers including the turnigy b6 that VB put up, there are some realy versatile tools definatly worth the extra bit..

Black lace for 18650 I prefer the Xtar SP2s sometimes you can find them quite cheap for some reason 2 A charges are out of fashion. The Tunrigy is more for LiPo (almost any type), you can charge 18650 but it is just one channel so you would have to make up a multi-battery cradle with balance wires and balance charge or just charge one at a time.

Yes thanx, i was looking at somthing on flebay the other night,it had got ports on it to fit leads for allsorts of aplications, the nitecore charger ive got still a good domestic charger realy, from mech & mod batteries torches,tablet speakers ect, have also got a b3 that has done virtualy no milage, only to tonic up lipo batteries before ive fitted them to my 200 builds, it came with a vicious ant 200 clone, that was moor of a clown, it was a toss up wether to do a utube short smashing it with a hammer or sell it on, sold the empty box in the end because the board was to dangerous to have on ones conciounce..unless you know someone who likes a tazer like hit. Lol..