temp control not working

JTree

Loaded a custom TCR for titanium from steam engine. The data shows properly on the graph.  I have the Temp bubble selected in the general tab in escribe, I have the temp set point and real time temp checked in device monitor but....

When I go to device monitor, I can plainly see that the device isn't reading the coil temp in real time.  The power delivored to coil jumps to the set point and stays in a steady line. Just looking at the device while firing, I can see that the temp display is blanked out during a puff reading  "F ---".

Any ideas?

great....just great.....so i tried this work around i found on this thread: https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65803-topic/

the standard method did not work at all, so i tried setting it to 1W instead....hit the button for a quarter second and it displayed temp protected. Went to take an actual puff and heard a click from inside the enclosure like a fuse popping sound.....dead. dead, dead, dead, dead, dead.

JTree said:

great....just great.....so i tried this work around i found on this thread: https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65803-topic/

the standard method did not work at all, so i tried setting it to 1W instead....hit the button for a quarter second and it displayed temp protected. Went to take an actual puff and heard a click from inside the enclosure like a fuse popping sound.....dead. dead, dead, dead, dead, dead.

Ouch sounds like you had a short somewhere, if this a custom mod or have you bought it somewhere? do you by any chance have the mod resistance set as this could be the reason it's not going into tc?

What model mod was it? And have you looked inside to confirm the fuse has gone? I would have my money on the bottom of the 510 breaking off with a click sound, never heard a fuse do it, heard a circuit breacker but not fuse. Sorry mate i cant help but laugh, you gotta see the funny side, you took some advice and murderd it..classic. should have soaked it in a bucket of water overnight, epic..

Model? Home grown. Built it to my spec. Everything is solid. I say it sounded like a fuse popping, and honestly i'm pretty confident the fuse did blow as I can't get continuity across the solder joints at the fuse.....but even if I replaced the on board fuse, that doesn't answer the question of why. I went back over all the connections, checked resistance in each lead, ect, ect.....again, everything is good. Did you read the work around? It's just playing around with the power/temp levels. Nothing it wasn't designed to do. In other words, it's not like I soaked it in a bucket of water over night.

On the plus side, the next build with go quicker, look better, and be more water resistant....in case someone decides to soak it in a bucket of water :P It took far more work to get the real estate inside the enclosure to work for me than it should have, lol

Evolv does seem to really back their products so I'm betting they'll repair/replace.  Heck, they fix defective mods from manufacturers even if it wasn't the fault of the board itself.  I've been lucky, I guess, and have three hand built 200s going with absolutely no problems at all.

JTree said:

Model? Home grown. Built it to my spec. Everything is solid. I say it sounded like a fuse popping, and honestly i'm pretty confident the fuse did blow as I can't get continuity across the solder joints at the fuse.....but even if I replaced the on board fuse, that doesn't answer the question of why. I went back over all the connections, checked resistance in each lead, ect, ect.....again, everything is good. Did you read the work around? It's just playing around with the power/temp levels. Nothing it wasn't designed to do. In other words, it's not like I soaked it in a bucket of water over night.

you got my sympathy mate, I have read the mentioned above and the following threads and believe its moor a mess with it until it works, and the issue mentioned where probbl;y the coil, the bucket of water thing was just a second example taken from the great book of crap, that's all,

I also build my own and know theres nothing worse than it going tits up after all the work, like I said in my first reply, the only thing I have witnessed going click was when I had the back off a new build, screwing in the atty for the first time, the bottom popped off the 510 connector, had I have fiered that it would have shorted against the side of the enclosure, it probbly took two hours to put it right,
one thing i'm very fussy about is cleanliness, these factories that produce mods, and the same as most electricals are operating theater clean, I air blast the inner of the mod to be sure there are no bits of swarf, filings or strands of wire,

can you put a few pics of the board up.. 

Sure. It'll be tomorrow, maybe, but i'll post some. I too am pretty hardcore about everything being clean. I take the solvent approach (sprayed it all down with starting aid after I got done). You'll see a little white crusty on one of the corners when I post, but that was super glue (lose magnet) and didn't get anywhere near the sensitive components.