Board won't stay powered on

Jvape78

Hey gurus, I just put a dna 200 chip into a boxer style case I got off shape ways. Other than being a monumental pain in the butt to get it built in that tiny space, I have an issue when I went to fire it up. I should note that this is a dual 18650 build, and I updated the software and set it to run 2 cell as well as inputted my battery info. So like I said, after I did all final wiring and installed 2 freshly charged batteries, pushed the power button and all I get is the initial power on screen and then it shut down. Every time I push the power I get that screen and then after doing it 2 or 3 times I get no screen message at all, just dead. . I looked everything over and nothing seems wrong. I did several power on cycles before I did final install and never had an issue. I tried to connect to escribe again after this and it wouldn't connect. Any suggestions? I'm new to modding but I followed all instructions and wiring diagrams properly I think. Thanks. Sorry it's so long

This sounds like the behavior seen when a cell is too low to power the board on fully, or the board cannot see the voltage of the cells due to wiring, etc.

At the 4 pin balance pinouts, did you bridge/short pins 2 and 3, and run pin 1 and GND?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just built a DNA200 dual 18650 MOD as well. The first time I tried to fire it up it up before I had it in the box the screen would say DNA200 and shut off. Did that a couple times then nothing. I went in to escribe to restore factory settings. When I did this it said I had to upgrade software to do the restore. I did that. Since I did that it doesn't do anything. When I have it plugged in to escribe monitoring/diagnostics/button simulation it says locked click 5 times no matter what I push. Last time I did it It was letting me change the voltage and said check atomizer when I hit fire. I wonder if the fire switch is bad? I tried on board and a separate fire switch. Any help would be appreciated. This is so frustrating. So close to finishing this MOD and then ran into this road block Edit. If I click fire 5 times in diagnostics mode in escrow it unlocks and appears to be working. Could it be a bad onboard fire button?

scottkoblitz said:

I just built a DNA200 dual 18650 MOD as well. The first time I tried to fire it up it up before I had it in the box the screen would say DNA200 and shut off. Did that a couple times then nothing. I went in to escribe to restore factory settings. When I did this it said I had to upgrade software to do the restore. I did that. Since I did that it doesn't do anything. When I have it plugged in to escribe monitoring/diagnostics/button simulation it says locked click 5 times no matter what I push. Last time I did it It was letting me change the voltage and said check atomizer when I hit fire. I wonder if the fire switch is bad? I tried on board and a separate fire switch. Any help would be appreciated. This is so frustrating. So close to finishing this MOD and then ran into this road block Edit. If I click fire 5 times in diagnostics mode in escrow it unlocks and appears to be working. Could it be a bad onboard fire button?

since you're running the dna in dual 18650 mode, do you have "2 cell" selected in escribe under "manufacturer settings" and uploaded into your mod? are you 100% certain you have the battery wiring correct? specifically the balance balance taps. try re-flashing the firmware. make sure it's a recommended FW version.
Capture.PNGbaf.png 

ChunkyButt200 said:

since you're running the dna in dual 18650 mode, do you have "2 cell" selected in escribe under "manufacturer settings" and uploaded into your mod? are you 100% certain you have the battery wiring correct? specifically the balance balance taps.

Yes, I changed it to 2 cell and configured it just like the noname boxmods tutorial video did with escribe. I have the tabs on the groves in the Whit connector pointing down. I have grey to - on battery 2, the blue to the + side of battery 2 which is bridged to - on battery 1. Then I have white and purple to the + on battery 1. Then I have b+ going to + on battery 1 and b- going to - on battery 2. The fire switch on the actual board doesn't work when it's plugged into escribe but in and down work. If I go into troubleshoot and use the onscreen buttons everything seems to work perfect. I'm wondering if the fire button on the board is bad? My soldering iron was acting up so I may have got the board a little warmer then I would have liked but I'm a decent solderer normally and all my connections look good to me. Been soldering building rc trucks boats and hell's for years.

ChunkyButt200 said:

since you're running the dna in dual 18650 mode, do you have "2 cell" selected in escribe under "manufacturer settings" and uploaded into your mod? are you 100% certain you have the battery wiring correct? specifically the balance balance taps. try re-flashing the firmware. make sure it's a recommended FW version.
Capture.PNGbaf.png 

Got it set to 2 cell lipo cap 16.8wh soft cutoff 3.2v. Left everything else alone I think. Accept changed kanthol limit to 130.

scottkoblitz said:

Got it set to 2 cell lipo cap 16.8wh soft cutoff 3.2v. Left everything else alone I think. Accept changed kanthol limit to 130.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm banging my head with this after spending a day and a half building it and now I can't get it to work no matter what I do?

ChunkyButt200 said:

Capture.PNGbaf.png 

Just noticed the flashing part. How do I do that just upgrade software? How do I choose the version or know if it's a "FW?" Version?

scottkoblitz said:

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm banging my head with this after spending a day and a half building it and now I can't get it to work no matter what I do?

does it connect to escribe? if you unplug the battery completely (balance tap and mains) from the board and connect to escribe can you reflash the firmware, then reconnect your battery and see if it stays connected to escribe. just make sure you press 'upload settings' after changing any values or fields in escribe. here's the correct wiring for 2S. as for the fire button not working if the just the fire button is truly bad, the pads for an external fire button should still work. you could always open a help ticket with evolv from their website for an RMA. 
[jHA5aqr]

scottkoblitz said:

Just noticed the flashing part. How do I do that just upgrade software? How do I choose the version or know if it's a "FW?" Version?

in escribe under 'tools' 'update firmware'

[RECOMMENDED]
*** 2015-10-21 EScribe 1.0.35.2 ***
https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/SetupES_2015-10-21.exe (51MB standalone installer)

ChunkyButt200 said:

does it connect to escribe? if you unplug the battery completely (balance tap and mains) from the board and connect to escribe can you reflash the firmware, then reconnect your battery and see if it stays connected to escribe. just make sure you press 'upload settings' after changing any values or fields in escribe. here's the correct wiring for 2S. as for the fire button not working if the just the fire button is truly bad, the pads for an external fire button should still work. you could always open a help ticket with evolv from their website for an RMA. 
[jHA5aqr]

Yes it connects to escribe and seems to work fine if I use the buttons on my computer in monitor button simulation mode but I have to unlock it everytime with 5 clicks? Is that typical for the DNA? I thought it just said to press the fire button once to turn on?

VapingBad said:

When connected to EScribe in Device Monitor does it show any buttons as pressed (at the bottom of the window), just thinking it could be something on the board shorting the button though that would also unlock it.

I remember the first time I put it in monitor mode I think the fire button stayed on when I pressed the virtual button. I will check when I get a chance though. Do you mean just see if the button is lit up? Thanks by the way for reading this and trying to help. Both of you. This is so frustrating

VapingBad said:

At the bottom it has a text label "Buttons:" and it will have "fire" after that if it is getting the fire button signal.  It is a long shot, but worth checking.

Probably won't be till after work tonight but I will look. The thing that's really strange to me is that before flashing it when I pressed the fire button DNA200 showed up on the screen for a second but after flashing it nothing.

When that happened to me it was 2 things. First I didn't have a great connection on my sled. My first time soldering and the work was rough. Once I redid that it was still doing the flash so I tore it down and inspected every single connection. Come to find out one of the pins on the balance tap that solders to the board had broken connection at the board joint. Once that was re soldered it worked great. Good luck.

Jvape78 said:

When that happened to me it was 2 things. First I didn't have a great connection on my sled. My first time soldering and the work was rough. Once I redid that it was still doing the flash so I tore it down and inspected every single connection. Come to find out one of the pins on the balance tap that solders to the board had broken connection at the board joint. Once that was re soldered it worked great. Good luck.

All my pins are there and I "think" all my connections are good and correct. I've done lots of soldering although my iron tip was a mess at first so I had to hold it on some of the connections longer then I would have liked. Mine doesn't flash anymore after updating the software. Everything works fine accept the fire button when it's plugged in. Everytime I plug it in the screen is locked at first though. If I use the button simulator on my computer I can unlock it by pressing fire 5 times and then it seems to work "with onscreen buttons" but fire on the board still does nothing. I don't have it in a box or the 510 put together so I can't actually fire an atty with the onscreen buttons if that's even possible. Thanks for your reply though. I appreciate any suggestions at this point. I opened a ticket with evolv early this morning but haven't heard back yet.