2 amp charging circuit, how's it done.

Spector NS5 RD

There is no big secret here or anything we are trying to keep under wraps. ;) VaporShark's version of the DNA200 has a number of differences, but the one noticed the most and mentioned is the 2amp charging. They also have a slightly longer PCB, and different onboard buttons, for example. The long and short of it is VaporShark was willing to commit to a certain (large) quantity of boards, and we were willing to provide custom features.

Nick said:

There is no big secret here or anything we are trying to keep under wraps. ;) VaporShark's version of the DNA200 has a number of differences, but the one noticed the most and mentioned is the 2amp charging. They also have a slightly longer PCB, and different onboard buttons, for example. The long and short of it is VaporShark was willing to commit to a certain (large) quantity of boards, and we were willing to provide custom features.

Thanks Nick, that explains it. People are under the impression VS still use a daughter board. I figured evolv was doing something special for VS.

scoopy said:

@Nick is there a fairly easy way to add zip charging to the boards us regular consumers have

Good question. I'm guessing no, or at the very least some serious modding to the board. You'd have to modify evolv's charging circuit or bypass it, all the while keeping in mind escribe is communicated through the USB port. Probably easier to ask evolv for the 2 amp version of the DNA 200. Ask super nicely and you might get lucky. Evolv has helped me out replacing a few DNA 40's. Some of em my fault, some faulty from the get go. Either way awesome CS.

Unfortunately there is no way to add this to the current DNA200. Simply "adding" it isn't simple. The circuitry and components required to do so will not even fit on the current DNA200 PCB design.

We are often hesitant to answer questions like this, making it seems like it is some big secret. The real reason is we know if we answer it the next question is going to be if people can buy them, and we hate telling people no. We simply cannot sell DNA200 boards with this technology so far into the release. 

Personally? This is something I myself want, and will keep that in mind for future products if at all possible.

Also, Scoopy, I personally like to charge my devices with my lipo charger when I want them charged asap. How you choose to design them for your personal use I will leave up to you. For one of my personal mods I simply put the female plugs in the bottom of the box.

So basically the reason you didnt add 2amp charging to the dna200 board and went with 1amp charging for them was to keep the board size down. I guess I understand that but I think it would of made more sense with 2 amp charging since its built around lipos. They can charge alot quicker than that. 2 amp isnt too high too were its going to effect cycle count that much if really at all. The 1amp charging for lipos is slow enough that i got a good lipo balance charger so i can swap lipos and charge at 2-3amps and only takes 15-20 mins.

dsidab81 said:

So Nick you mention putting a female charging port in the bottom of one of your personal mods.    would you anticipate any issues with have a parallel JST connection, one from battery to DNA board and the other to an external port - to use an external lipo charger?

I do not, however there a few things to keep in mind. If you are going to use just the JST plug, you will need to make a custom harness externally between the box and balance charger as most lipo chargers also require a Battery +/- plug as well. Also, internally on the box you will want to use a higher gauge wire than normal if you plan for the whole charge current to travel on the JST wires.

The one thing I have always been wary of having a female JST externally on a mod is a the chance for something to short the pins, either by contacting it, stuff in your pocket, etc. While this has never happened for me, it is the reason I am extremely careful with my mods I charge externally, and would not ever make them like that for DogMods customers.

• 8 months later...

Good thread,

I am researching heavily to build my first DNA 200. One thing i don't fully understand yet is what the specs are for charging from the board to the battery. The Lipo packs i'm looking at suggest charging at higher amps and i'm finding mixed reviews on the safety of on board charging at lower amps. Can anyone clear this up for me. I was planning to have a box that i did not have to charge externally but if it is an issue of safety then i will have to reconsider what goes in it.

Charging at lower rates is considered to be fine, just takes longer. It will draw 5v @ 1A if the USB source can supply it. Otherwise it will only use what it can supply. Usually connected to a computer, it will draw more like 500ma.

At the battery end, drawing 5v @ 1A will give you about 12.6v @ 300ma. So it will take about 3 hours to charge up one 11.1v @ 900mah lipo. And yes, the DNA200 is perfectly safe to charge with.

The only negative I have read about charging at lower rates was one research paper that found in some batteries it shortened their life a little, the theory being that it was because they spent longer in a charging state.  Most safety issues with Li batteries are related to heat build up.

VapingBad said:

The only negative I have read about charging at lower rates was one research paper that found in some batteries it shortened their life a little, the theory being that it was because they spent longer in a charging state.  Most safety issues with Li batteries are related to heat build up.

You must have read the same article that I did.

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/09/19/recharging-lithium-ion-batteries-rapidly-harmful/

Also Professor Jeff Dahn (Dalhousie University) also mentions this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxP0Cu00sZs