vaporshark dna 200 dead already

c6freddy

retird said:

Each of us could "guess" what your issue is.  We can't evaluate your device however, so the cause is a mystery to all of us.  It is like me calling my Honda dealer and saying my car quit running and you must tell me over the phone what the problem is.  I'm not Evolv but many things can be the cause.  See what Vapor Shark says and does as they are pretty good at standing behind their stuff I'm told. The Evolv board has a warranty if that is determined to be the issue.

Not knowing anything about your device I will offer a few guesses:

Bad Battery
Poor connections
Bad daughter board
Device dropped and internals were damaged
Bad fire button
Display broken thus won't light up
Poorly connected display ribbon
Bad usb cable thus not recognized by EScribe
ETC
ETC

don't take this post the wrong way. no ones asking for a guess. it would be a mystery to you because you don't work at evolv. evolv gets all the bad boards from VS. i don't know if you read my above post but i said i'd like know about the cause of the 'majority' of Vaporshark board failures. obviously they're not all going to have the same problem. however, i'm willing to venture a guess that out of XXXX bad boards XX boards had a common issue/issues. so far i found three cases that match my problem. VShas great CS. at least this has been my experience. evolv, IMO has just as good, if not better CS than VS.

edit....there is no daughter board in the VS DNA 200. usb cable used works with my 4 other dna 200 devices, as in connects to escribe. bad battery, fire button, broken oled, loose ribbon cable would not prevent escribe from making connection with the mod. the device was babied and never dropped or handled roughly.

My point was that there can be many causes... that's all...Vapor Shark should know what common issues they have with their device.  A good place to start I think...  and no I did not read your post before I posted as I was typing as you posted.  You are right in asking for more details.  I'm sure that Dilligaf will get it sorted...

retird said:

My point was that there can be many causes... that's all...Vapor Shark should know what common issues they have with their device.  A good place to start I think...  and no I did not read your post before I posted as I was typing as you posted.  You are right in asking for more details.  I'm sure that Dilligaf will get it sorted...

thanks retird. i just like as much info as i can get. i hope that post didn't come off as me being a sh#tty person. i just want my shark back. i really loved that 200. i'm just bummed and kinda disgruntled my time with it was cut so short. i will post the nitty gritty from VS when i hear back from them or when i get my device back. maybe the info could help someone else in my shoes.    

ChunkyButt200 said:

if you're asking if i had it plugged into a 2 amp wall wart, yes i did. i was using a usb cable capable of supporting two amps. device was charging at a rate of 1.90-1.98 amps (varies during charge). why? what are your thoughts? i'm interested if someone has a definitive reason for this type of failure. 

Well my thoughts are just that at 2A, the VS gets quite warm and I had some concerns about that.

ChunkyButt200 said:

if you don't mind me asking, what were you doing when yours quit? i like details. they're very important.

i can understand what you mean tho. maybe evolv could chime in on - out of all the VS dna 200 board failures, what was the number one cause of failure for the majority of them. evolv would probably have a better explanation than VS.

I was walking from my back door, to my front door, and puffing all at the same time..LOL.  I am sorry, but now I need to go out and get another mod so that I can use the sub tanks I own, and vape.   I just bought a new subtank and well I have gotten to use it for 2 days before "the last mod you will ever buy" quit on me.

Wing said:

My Project Sub-Ohm S200 lasted less than a month...
The other day, the screen went blank and won't fire.
It connects to escribe and the screen comes on when connected to the PC but still doesn't fire.
Taking to VaporDNA about it... we'll see...

Update. I got my replacement within a couple days and it's been working great since. No other issues.

retird said:

No daughter board? I'm curious how do they light the fire button and show charging lights at the button?  

evolv sends out the led's already soldered to the proprietary VS dna 200 boards before VS gets them. here's a pic of a VS dna 200 disassembled . different buttons and a side mounted ZIF socket than the reg 1 amp dna 200. if you look closely around the fire button area you'll notice three SMD led's. two blue (mounted diagonally from each other and one red SMD led (underneath fire button). disregard the red circle i made with MS Paint, that was for something else.

edit.....you know if you wanted to you could add the same led's evolv puts on for VS. evolv left the solder pads on the reg dna 200 there just in case you wanted to add that functionality to any dna 200 board.
A7BCE043-C73C-444B-8867-C4D66513679B_zpsjhhuky1m.jpg

retird said:

THX.. I looked for a picture or video of a VS dna 200 disassembled and didn't run across any.   VS must move a ton of the DNA200's to get a special board.  

ya, you figure VS and Hana Modz are probably two of the biggest US based, mainstream board buyers from evolv, i think. not counting smaller mod makers. i know VS devices are assembled in China. not sure about Hana. I'm not even sure what happened to Hana. seems like they fell off. I haven't heard any new devices coming from Hana lately. their once $200 priced V200 is now selling for $149.
but ya, you figure VS exclusively uses evolv boards. so evolv hooked them up.

edit.....hana is offering the "one mod" large screen dna 40 for $29

ChunkyButt200 said:

i myself recently purchased a new VS DNA 200 last week. got the device saturday the 26th and it died yesterday wednesday the 30th. device was on a usb charger. device finished charging so i unplugged it and proceeded to take a vape. mid vape the device died. here's the story :

i was vaping on a griffin RTA with dual Ti coils ohming out to .11, at 50 watts with a 100 watt preheat. i'm thinking fuse, but even with a blown fuse it should still connect to escribe. funny thing is it died mid puff. it wouldn't fire, screen blacked out, but blue led's lit up every time i pressed the fire button. i then booted up escribe, escribe recognized the VS DNA 200 and the mod's screen said, "error press up to continue". i pressed up. the screen then said, "warranty service." i hit the fire button, with my atomizer still attached, then heard a soft pop. after that, escribe lost connection and the device does nothing, not even the blue led's anymore. tried all the usual tricks and tips : jst connector and main pos and neg secure, hard and soft reboot, reflash firmware etc.........usb recovery also will not work since escribe does not see the device. 

rather than take the device apart and diagnose it myself, since this device has a full 120 day warranty, i just sent the device to back to VS. they paid for the return shipping label. so their customer service has been great so far. i was told i would receive an email as to what caused the device to fail when one of VS's techs got their hands on it. also i should expect the mod back some time next week. should be interesting to see if VS fixes or just replaces the faulty mod. 

will report back with what happens (cause of failure, fixed or new device, customer service) during this time of mourning. 

this is the first dna 200 to die on me.:(

EDIT........   vaporshark emailed me a tracking number for my new or repaired VS DNA 200 today (4-5-16). 5 days total from shipping it to them on thursday, to receiving a tracking # today, pretty good in my book. no mention in that email what caused the failure. i replied back asking if they could share any info with me as to what happened. will report back when device is in hand and will also update if i get a response to my question.   

EDIT........i received my repaired VS dna 200 in the mail today. here's the repair ticket VS included with my repaired unit. however, i would like hear some intelligent thoughts/answers as to what kind of USB fault would draw over 25 amps blowing the fuse. the outer part of the USB socket is grounded, as is the aluminum VS body. so what would cause a hard short? shoddy soldering on VS part? maybe the balance tap or main wires were soldered with excess solder or a stray wire finding it's way to the USB area? even with a blown fuse the device should connect to escribe. i would understand if the USB is severely shorted, then escribe would not be able to make a connection. like i said, if anybody has some in depth, intelligent thoughts, i'd like to hear them. 

IMG_20160407_163826-1.jpg 

• 4 months later...

hey Chunkybutt200 how much did it cost you to have vaporshark replace your board?
mine died few days ago but mine is strange, it works with the battery but wont charge it, and does not recognize the usb cable, and yes all are for data and charging. ive check the board and nothing seems off or damaged.   ive removed the battery and tried plugging it to escribe but does not come on. to be honest cant tell if the fuse is blown. it was charging in my car for ten minutes when i wwent to check the battery wasnt charging at all and mod was warm to touch.