SS316L Again

aabbas

aabbas said:

Finally got what was wrong, it seems that locking the ohm is essential for TC. Thanks to Joel Al last enjoying my DNA200

Locking the resistance is normally the worst thing to do, if you have to lock the ohms to get it to work that is a sign of too much resistance in you atty or mod, or poor connections.  I think the locking res advice has come from people using less advanced mods, DNAs have always had refinement mode to get the most accurate cold res possible.  Sometimes you do need it, but it should be seen as a last resort, in 2 years of temp mode vaping it has only happened to me once because the tank had a connection issue that I couldn't fix.

I'm using a DNA200 on a Triade. Looking around this seems to be a must practice to lock the OHMS in cold when using Temp Control. All the vids I have seen from Rip Tripper, VapnFagan, Mike Vapes, indoor smokers, etc... they all lock the resistance when vaping in temperature control. Anyway, it does not work when not locked. Technically, not sure why it must be done, but it must be done.

Thanks,
Joel.

You do not need to lock res with DNAs.

I have also seen that advice in youtube it does not apply to DNAs only some of the less advanced temp limiting mods.  DNAs will be more accurate leaving it to analyses the resistance over a range of temperatures.  It has been so since the DNA 40 was introduced 2 years ago, some of the later players in the temp control market did not manage to, or bother to include the refinement feature and I think this confused some of the reviewers into thinking locking the res was desirable, it is not. 
  • Like 1

I have been vaping DNA stuff for years and have only locked the ohm's once and that was just to test that function.  As VB said most who lock ohm's are locking resistance as they have come from using less advanced mods, DNAs with TC have always had refinement mode to get the most accurate cold resistance possible. Locking of ohm's feature was added later in development because some folks asked for that feature because their "other mod" had that feature.  

Ok. I have unlocked my serpent mini with a SS316L at 0.52 and she's vaping great!!! I usually get issues when vaping on a 0.2 ohm Heracles sense NI200 coil. Usually reading at .32 when new and moving towards 0.23 as it gets used. I will give it a shot later tonight and report back.

For an unknown reason, when I attach the tank ( Heracles sense NI200) to my mod,'0.27 ohms is detected. After several vapes, ten or so, the ohm drops to 0.23 (mod seems to turn on) and then there is no way to get a satisfactory vapor, exactly what brought me to advise aabbas to lock the resistance.

Did some quick research and it seems that the DNA200 may have some issues in TC mode with builds under .05 ohms in TC mode especially(perhaps only) in NI200. Hence, the vape is waaaaayyyy smoother and on par when you lock ohms. My SS316L is 0.53 ohms and I get excellent vape locked or not. On the .23 ohms NI200 hrakles, it needs to be locked around .28 for a good vape - so I ageee with arby.

joel said:

Did some quick research and it seems that the DNA200 may have some issues in TC mode with builds under .05 ohms in TC mode especially(perhaps only) in NI200. Hence, the vape is waaaaayyyy smoother and on par when you lock ohms. My SS316L is 0.53 ohms and I get excellent vape locked or not. On the .23 ohms NI200 hrakles, it needs to be locked around .28 for a good vape - so I ageee with arby.

I vape using LightningVapes 24ga 316L wire and with all my builds I have to lock a higher ohm to get a good vape than the default cold ohm reading on my builds. Same goes for SweetSpot wire.

joel said:

A quick google and they should be 0.2 ohm coils, all you are doing by setting the cold res to 0.28 is tricking your devices to give you a higher temp than you set by increasing the cold resistance.  Using a TCR of 0.006 a 0.23 ohm Ni coil would be 0.523 ohm at 450 F, a 0.28 ohm Ni coil would be 0.636 ohm at 450 F, but for a 0.23 ohm coil to be 0.636 it would have to be at 598 F.  To me that just says that's the way you like those coils, some tanks an coils like to be at different power or temperature levels than everything else and I guess this must be one of those.  As long as you are enjoying your vape, but IMO it is not an issue with the DNA rather an issue with that one type of coil and would be so on most devices.

I have used Ni200 down to 0.03 ohm dual coils and like all Ni builds in a decent rebuildable it is a rock solid performer, I always have a triple twisted dual coil Ni build on the go.  0.04 ohm is the lower limit to get the full 200 W, but you do need the mod res set properly for accuracy at these ultra low resistances.