build help for tc for therion 133 and avoc 24 using ss 316l 26g

juan gee

Like ohm which wire metal is not important choosing what size coil to make with VW mods, make a coil the same construction that you like, wire thickness, ID and wraps.  Of course you have to stay within the min and max ohms of the device, but other than that ohms are not helping anyone IMO. If you find you make a coil same warps etc as Kanthal and it hits temp limit too soon add another wrap or 2, get some more surface area, airflow or wicking.  A little over simplification, but the difference between metals are tiny compared to differences in coil size IMO.

Don't worry, start with what has worked for you before and experiment a little or a lot.

(Power is the most important variable when choosing how to wrap your coil and you didn't say what you vape at.)

VapingBad said:

Like ohm which wire metal is not important choosing what size coil to make with VW mods, make a coil the same construction that you like, wire thickness, ID and wraps.  Of course you have to stay within the min and max ohms of the device, but other than that ohms are not helping anyone IMO. If you find you make a coil same warps etc as Kanthal and it hits temp limit too soon add another wrap or 2, get some more surface area, airflow or wicking.  A little over simplification, but the difference between metals are tiny compared to differences in coil size IMO.

Don't worry, start with what has worked for you before and experiment a little or a lot.

(Power is the most important variable when choosing how to wrap your coil and you didn't say what you vape at.)

Tnx sir.. I usually vape at .20 to .23ohms at 60 to 75watts..

Sos to undermine vb,,lol,, you can also have a look and a fiddle with the steam engin program,, i have to do it through the firefox browser if i wish to save any csv files, because my dated internet explorer wont read them, but keeping things simple to start with and single strand coiling may save time and materials. Lamo """"invitably in laymans terms i think its an invaluble essential"":" lamo

Not undermining me at all BL, I was just saying that if you like say a 8 wrap 2.5 mm 26 AWG Ti coil, then start with that when trying ss rather than shooting for res.  I only shoot for res with Ni and then only to stay above 0.04, other than those upper and lower mod limits to me it is just detail and not a target since I stopped using mechs.

I know exactly what you mean, i keep well within parameters with nife30, 28awg ,7 wraps on a 2.5mm mandrel usualy works out at .21ohms rarther than about .10 ohms if using ni200, why change after getting a decent vape sussed, jaun gee still didnt say what metal coil he was using but i would guess ni200 in factory built coils,,, as much as i love my wooden mech mod and the brass monkey dripper,, being restricted with hair fine 36awg kenthal twin coil 5 wraps around a 2mm mandrell to get instant heat and a fast cool down is extreamly fragile and fiddly to fit. No wonder they where so short lived.

black lace said:

I know exactly what you mean, i keep well within parameters with nife30, 28awg ,7 wraps on a 2.5mm mandrel usualy works out at .21ohms rarther than about .10 ohms if using ni200, why change after getting a decent vape sussed, jaun gee still didnt say what metal coil he was using but i would guess ni200 in factory built coils,,, as much as i love my wooden mech mod and the brass monkey dripper,, being restricted with hair fine 36awg kenthal twin coil 5 wraps around a 2mm mandrell to get instant heat and a fast cool down is extreamly fragile and fiddly to fit. No wonder they where so short lived.

Tnx for the inputs sir black.. Btw its ss wire 316l

Let us know if you get to gripps with it, its not my thing, i found it very tempermental and used both the 316 and i think 430, but was twin coiling, i swear by what i use, not just because ive got miles of it, i have miles of stainless aswell, i think my problem was, i would build a ss coil load a csv file and after first use and cool down it would have changed its charictaristics and would need a further csv file, being so low in ohms, fine tuning would be critical because its initial heat up would fly through the roof,, i think one tip is to turn your pre-heat boost off or down to ''nothingness'' lol, if vb can say ''simplification'' i"m saying ''nothingness"" lamo.. all the best..

For Avocado24, I usually build a single (spaced) coil: SS-316L, 28 AWG, 7 wraps, coil's diameter: 3.5 mm. This gives me about 0.8 ohms. My profile for Avocado24: 20W, medium preheat at 35W/0.5 s, 210C  - that is 400-something F, I guess ;). That would be a MTL setup. If I wanted to chase some clouds with this wire/RTA, I would probably build 2 coils, 6-7 wraps, and open the air holes. But as a former pipe smoker I hardly ever inhale, not even MTL, and DL is totally out of question for me.

Here are two setups I like, both using fused Clapton SS316L.

The dual coil on the left is 3mm inner diameter and comes out at around 0.12 ohms
The single coil on the right is 3.5mm inner diameter and comes out at about 0.38 ohms.

IMG_5631.jpg 
I dry burn it in wattage mode to adjust for any hotspots, then allow it to cool down, wick it and swap to temp control.

I like the csv on steam-engine.org for SS316L - its labelled there as "SS316L / Elite", but I've also attached it here for convenience. You should use the same csv even though your coil is likely to be different - the csv relates to the material.

Beyond that, you'll need to experiment to see what works for you. Just start low with your wattage and punch and increase as required. I posted some more details of what works for me in this discussion: https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66214-topic/

I find this works well - but you'll just have to experiment to find what works for you.
Good luck :)

steamengine_SS_316L_-_elite.csv