Reuleaux DNA 200 Screen Ribbon Fix Yes/No

Teehippster57

Just looking for some more information about the screen ribbon placement on the Reuleaux. It is being posted in a FB group that the ribbon is doomed to fail because of the fire button putting slight pressure on it when pressed and the fix is to open it up and place the ribbon under the screen. Any thoughts about the validity of the problem/fix with DNA 200 experience. Thanks for the input.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the ribbon shouldn't be user the fire button.it should slightly folded into kinda s shape and tucked under board. Search screen placemnet here and a few posts with pics will come up. Plenty of wismecs have failed and I'm sure plenty more will. Constantly flexing the ribbon cable will ruin it.

I thought I'd do mine here at work but don't have a small enough Philips screw driver. I did look at the tutorial and suggest putting tape across the up and down buttons and face plate prior to removing the face plate to hold them in place.
Here is the link to the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1057199624324956/

EDIT:
I do have a precision straight edge screw driver set here at work so I used it with no problem but I did need some assistance getting the screws started back in, that was accomplished using the same round tooth pick that I used to fold the screen back as a screw starter. Done, easy job.

take your batts out. take out the four bottom most screws, that will release your face plate. usb IS TIGHT inside of face plate so wiggle the face plate to detatch. place screws and buttons in a safe place as not to lose them. gently pry screen up from board. it's held on with sticky foam tape. make sure your zif sockect locking flap did not come unlocked when prying up screen(foam tape sometimes pulls this open when lifting up on screen do to the adhesive side of foam). get a toothpick or similar sized tool and put a gentle s bend in ribbon, no sharp abrupt bends. reseat the screen making sure your bend has retained it's shape. test fit face plate to make  sure everything lines up. re install face plate with buttons and replace screws followed by batts. done.  ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE TAKING APART YOUR $160 DEVICE, THEN DO NOT DO IT! THAT IS WHAT YOUR WARRANTY IS FOR.

IF DONE INCORRECTLY YOU WILL SEND YOUR SCREEN STRAIGHT TO HELL. KEEP IN MIND, WITH THE CHINESE OLED FACTORY EXPLOSION/SHORTAGE, THESE SPECIFIC OLED SCREENS ARE AN ENDANGERED SPECIES.

^^^I hear ya. i felt like MacGyver defusing a bomb. sweat rolling off my brow, trying to steady my hands as I wonder whether to cut the blue wire or the red one. thank god i cut the blue one. it disarmed the reuleaux bomb and only then was I able to safely tuck my ribbon without blowing my self up. lol i was just as clueless and worried as most people who own this mod. If i can help with something I try my best. thankfully those pics were available from the reuleaux FB group. i wasn't sure if it would let me copy and paste em.

Thanks so much for posting this modification.  I did the modification.  I had to put a set of magnifiers on to see the actual button hitting the screen.   I never like taking things apart but after seeing this first hand it would only be a matter of time before the button wore out the ribbon and cause a shorting condition so yea best to just move the ribbon.    One has to wonder how many other mods are out having the same issue. 

Bugger it! Busted my screen trying this because I repeatedly folded the ribbon trying to get it underneath with a plastic stick that was probably (it was) too large for the job.
Had only the top half of the screen working after my first attempt and now its totally blank after fiddling around more, I didn't realize how fragile the ribbon is.
Looks like im vaping super stealth mode until more screens come in stock.