Preheat in Kanthal - It Works!

yoseff

I own several non-DNA devices & was tired of the constant pulsing when in TC mode. Some more than others. I now own several DNA devices & use SS 316L almost exclusively. Absolutely enjoy the vape experience. Non-DNA devices are more a one size fits all kind of thing & the DNA devices have to be fined tuned to ones own personal preferences. What works for one person will probably not work for another. There is a learning curve to using the DNA. There is a lot of great info here on the forum that will answer a lot of your question & help to point you in the right direction!!

giz_60 said:

I own several non-DNA devices & was tired of the constant pulsing when in TC mode. Some more than others. I now own several DNA devices & use SS 316L almost exclusively. Absolutely enjoy the vape experience. Non-DNA devices are more a one size fits all kind of thing & the DNA devices have to be fined tuned to ones own personal preferences. What works for one person will probably not work for another. There is a learning curve to using the DNA. There is a lot of great info here on the forum that will answer a lot of your question & help to point you in the right direction!!

Exactly. Well said. It took me about 1-2 weeks to get it right for all my atomizers. Would not go back to a generic device anymore. Thanks.

joel said:

You can use à SS wire that can be used in both watt and TC. Kanthal is not a TC wire. You can setup preheat as explained further below in another thread I just answered. There is a philosophy behind a DNA chip which explains why there is not a preheat functionality in the chip. If you search through the forum there is a thread talking about this. The DNA is a great chip, surely the best on the market that renders great flavour better than any other chip I have used (subjective statement based on my personal taste). Mind you, yihi chip I have not tried but only tested the TC on it from a friend and I do not like the "pulsing" it created while firing in TC mode. HTH, Joel.

I have read all of it and disabling preheat is not a precaution I can still set a 2 ohm kanthal wire to 167 watt and burn my throat or some crazy stuff like that to harm my self.. But I can not give 15watts for 0.4 secs to a 1.2 ohm wire which I use on 10W. there is no logical explanation behind this silly limitation. On developer manufacturer mode you can make more dangerous adjustments but restricting preheat on kanthal??? I am sorry but that is just a poor excuse..

SS wire has a too low resistance for me. I am a MTL person and I need resistances around 1.25 ohm. Also even limit SS temperature on TC mode I really do not want to have Ni in my coil :(

giz_60 said:

Clearly not for Kanthal users.....

Ok..you are going to have to tweak your cold ohms until it works...this is what I meant by playing with it...open the Atomizer Analyzer...note what your coil is reading...click on 'Override Ohms'...enter a value either slightly higher or lower...then click on 'Lock Ohms'...your cold ohms are at 1.27, so try 1.28...if not working, try 1.29...then 1.3...if after a few tries raising the ohms & no luck, then try lower them...be sure to lock the ohms each time so the chip doesn't pick the actually cold ohms again....it may take you awhile to figure whether you need to raise or lower your ohms...but eventually you should feel the preheat...also, turn the temperature in the preheat settings up to about 500 or so. If it is to low, the chip will think your coil is already at temp.

giz_60 said:

Ok..you are going to have to tweak your cold ohms until it works...this is what I meant by playing with it...open the Atomizer Analyzer...note what your coil is reading...click on 'Override Ohms'...enter a value either slightly higher or lower...then click on 'Lock Ohms'...your cold ohms are at 1.27, so try 1.28...if not working, try 1.29...then 1.3...if after a few tries raising the ohms & no luck, then try lower them...be sure to lock the ohms each time so the chip doesn't pick the actually cold ohms again....it may take you awhile to figure whether you need to raise or lower your ohms...but eventually you should feel the preheat...also, turn the temperature in the preheat settings up to about 500 or so. If it is to low, the chip will think your coil is already at temp.

After manually adjusting resistance and locking it do I need to upload settings to device? And then Do I need to lock resistance on device? If I see that the graph shows real temperature this means that I have finally achieved it right? :D

giz_60 said:

Yes...you always have to upload to device to get the new settings onto the device....if you are seeing the temp on the graph...then you should have it..locking the ohms in Escribe & then uploading to the device should lock it

I have started to try that no luck so far but I have realized that after the first fire ressistance returns to its actual value instead of the value I have overwritten locked and uploaded, So this means even if I have found the right value I only works once. Also this is a very painful process to go over after each coil change.. Is there really no easy way to use preheat on Kanthal????

The you may have to lock the ohms on the device as well...I have never locked my ohms because I use TC...If you read the previous post in this thread, you would have seen that others had that 1 time issue, but after a couple of times it started working fine. The preheat in the DNA device is designed for TC & this is just a way around that...are you building coils or using OEM coils?

giz_60 said:

The you may have to lock the ohms on the device as well...I have never locked my ohms because I use TC...If you read the previous post in this thread, you would have seen that others had that 1 time issue, but after a couple of times it started working fine. The preheat in the DNA device is designed for TC & this is just a way around that...are you building coils or using OEM coils?

Yeah that is an easy problem. But I am building my own coils which means I need to repeat this procedure everytime I change the coil :(

Keep working on it and you will figure it out.  You are trying to trick the DNA to do something it is not, and was not designed to do.  I am a mouth-to-lung guy also and use SS316L pre-made coils almost always but use Kanthal occasionally but I don't need pre-heat thus I don't need the work around.  

This is a suggestion to evolv. I understand that you don't want to add preheat feature so users with no experience cannot overheat the coil in power mode. So why don't you include instead a '' cool down' feature in power mode.
Is this feature you would create a ''cool down curve'' where the curve has a max of the selected power on the mod.
For exemple

• 0.5s -20w
  • 1.0s -10w
  • 1.5s  -0w
  • 2.0s  -10w
  • 2.5s  -20w
  • 3.0s  -30w
  • 3.5  -30w
So someone that does not understand the preheat mode will selected a wattage that he would have selected anyway and get a curve below the selected watt.
But the experience vaper, that obviously did create that curve will be able to select on the device a wattage above the watt that he want in order to get the preheat. The wattage selected will be the peak.
In this case. If I want to vape at 70w, I would select 100w. so the curve will be this:
  • 0.5s 80w
  • 1.0s 90w
  • 1.5s  100w
  • 2.0s  90w
  • 2.5s  80w
  • 3.0s  70w
  • 3.5   70w
  • 4.0    70w ....

There you go.... waiting for the firmware update.