Preheat in Kanthal - It Works!

yoseff

I saw an answer in other topic that i tried and it works!
It deserves to be seen by more people, so i took the liberty to create a new topic with it. It will be in quote, so the person who shared it, get full credit for it:

gorman said:

You can actually "cheat". You load the curve for Kanthal from Steam Engine. You'll see it's perfectly flat, with all the data points sitting at 1.0 coefficient.
You leave most of them alone but start raising them by 0.1 after 392F°, 0.1 for every following point.
You then select the new material for the VW profile, you instead opt for temperature control, set up preheat to your liking and vape. The circuit will respect the preheat values (I set the punch at 11, so it just erogates the preheat power for the preheat time duration), then, measuring the resistance and seeing it doesn't get higher, it will simply keep on outputting the max power you have set up.

And that's preheat for non temperature sensing coils in variwatt. :)

My friends: This actually is a solution, at least until implemented in firmware!
To make things easier, i share here my already modded kanthal csv file.
(Edit - Also added the ecigprofile i am using on my DNA. I think you can use it and modify to the preheat watts you want)

Thanks gorman :thumb:

kanthal_Preheat.ecigpr

Kanthal_A1_preheat.csv

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anybody done this with a Clapton Kanthal coil?

dwcraig1..... can you add Temperature to the graph so we can see what the temp is doing relative to the Temperature Set of 550F?

Gonna try this with Clapton set @ 425F and 27 watts to see how it deals with lower temp and wattage....

retird said:

Anybody done this with a Clapton Kanthal coil?

dwcraig1..... can you add Temperature to the graph so we can see what the temp is doing relative to the Temperature Set of 550F?

Gonna try this with Clapton set @ 425F and 27 watts to see how it deals with lower temp and wattage....

Temp is surely not right
I imagine that what this exactly does to DNA "brain" is:
"Hum, a TC wire. This guy wants preheat of 110w. Let's Give him. WAAAIT! There's some error! The csv must be wrong to this wire - pass to watt mode. Hum, a TC wire. This guy wants preheat of 110w. Let's Give him. WAAAIT! There's some error! The csv must be wrong to this wire - pass to watt mode. Hum, a TC wire. This guy wants preheat of 110w. Let's Give him. WAAAIT! There's some error! The csv must be wrong to this wire - pass to watt mode."

And so on...

Sometime my DNA gets clever and can remind what happened before, so he will give up of preheat. "You are so dumb! The csv is wrong. Let me pass to watt mode straight."

In this case i will take out the tank, fire, and put it again. "New coil?" - Yes (if asked - some times doesn't). And i can fool him for some more time :)

Please Evolv - do not make us fool our beloved DNA's. Put preheat available to watt mode on next firmware
  • Like 1

dwcraig1 said:

Gee I thought I did this on my 75, I couldn't get it to work earlier today on my 75. I see I posted a live view of it a few posts back. Hmm

Sometimes it doesn't work on the 75's. Seems that they are getting smarter :D

dwcraig1... thx for the graph....  surely the preheat is effecting the coil temp even tho the graph is not showing a temp rise during preheat.... and ohm's reading in the graph is showing cold ohms?  Wonder if having the temp set to 450F is effecting the vape as it is within the "flat part" of the "curve" and the 0.1 rise starts at 482F in the "curve"....

Gonna have to play with it a bit.....  THX again dwcraig1....

randall said:

I'm running the a Clapton build but no TC and there's a noticeable difference...

Randall, this "cheat" is very good for high mass coils, as Claptons. Try it and if it works, you will feel a huge difference: High watts to fast ramp, and desired watts to maintain the flavour 

retird said:

dwcraig1... thx for the graph....  surely the preheat is effecting the coil temp even tho the graph is not showing a temp rise during preheat.... and ohm's reading in the graph is showing cold ohms?  Wonder if having the temp set to 450F is effecting the vape as it is within the "flat part" of the "curve" and the 0.1 rise starts at 482F in the "curve"....

Gonna have to play with it a bit.....  THX again dwcraig1....

Usually i put at 600F, as temp is not that important for this matter. (at least i think that way, but always learning)

yoseff said:

Usually i put at 600F, as temp is not that important for this matter. (at least i think that way, but always learning)

I'm just pondering the graph results as opposed to the preheat being shown in the graph.....  no doubt the preheat has to raise the coil temp during preheat.  Gonna play with temp set above and below 482F and see how it effects the graph results.  But that's for tomorrow as it's late here.....

• 2 weeks later...
Mdelaere said:

This might be a silly question, but why do this? Is it to make sure the coil is quickly at a nice temperature to vape? Personally I never had much issue with that, just wondering. Currently breaking my head over my SS316L TC settings.

It depends on he amount of metal you have to heat. Claptons, Alien coils and so on, need a lot of watts to "wake up", but then it can be too much watts to maintain the heat you desire.
Less watts will get you there, but then the ramp up time will be more.
With preheat, you get more watts to start, and less to maintain, achieving a better vape experience.

With SS316L you can have preheat, but on most of the times you will not need preheat on SS, as it ramp up pretty quick and then DNA200 will have an hard time to control the temperature due to SS316L low tcr.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...