Chip efficiency, Battery life

Hello. What is the efficiency of the 80c? I just got the San AIO 80c and my battery life hasnt been very good. I am using a 3000mAh Sony VTC6 and at 35w and I have barely any battery left after just 1 tank, other people are also having this problem, and with other devices. Also my device refuses to charge when using a quickcharge charger that also supports normal 5V 2A charging, but somehow pulls 2.5A through my laptops USB port.

Can we at least get a firmware update that adds stealth mode, surely this can be done just through software. That would at least add some battery life with the screen being off.

Overall pretty dissappointed, I paid premium for the DNA and I knew the chip is pretty barebones but at least I expected the efficiency to be good compared to some noname chinese chips..

Can only agree. SAN and Blaze DNA80C and at 75w on the San i use up at least 3 batteries for one tank. This is by far the worst performing chip in any of my vapes which is kinda sad since it seemed really good and comes at a premium price. 

37 minutes ago, intel said:

What is the efficiency of the 80c? .... Also my device refuses to charge when using a quickcharge charger .... Can we at least get a firmware update that adds stealth mode

For questions like these you'd need to open a 'Help Desk' ticket. There's a link in my signature line below.

45 minutes ago, Dieseljesus said:

SAN and Blaze DNA80C and at 75w on the San i use up at least 3 batteries for one tank

So if you swap the battery and boro from the San to the Blaze is it still 3 batteries for one tankful? And what batteries are you using?

Same issue here, actually i just registered to post about this issue but Intel did beat me to that. 
Same as others, i need at least 2 batteries to go through a 4ml tank.

i first thought it was the shift tank but after switching to an rba it is still the same issue.

i usually vape at 30w with 0.4 coil using molicel p28a/p30 new batteries.

Alrighty, been thinking. At what point are you folks swapping your batteries? When the icon is getting low or when you're getting a 'weak battery' warning on your screen or when it no longer fires and displays 'check battery' on your screen? 

When you do go to charge that battery, what is the voltage at? It should be close to 3.0-3.2 volts if you vape till 'weak battery' except for @Dieseljesus (but it's long winded to explain, but I can if you want)

While there is no 'stealth' option, you can turn the screen brightness down in the settings on the mod. 

7 hours ago, Wayneo said:

Alrighty, been thinking. At what point are you folks swapping your batteries? When the icon is getting low or when you're getting a 'weak battery' warning on your screen or when it no longer fires and displays 'check battery' on your screen? 

When you do go to charge that battery, what is the voltage at? It should be close to 3.0-3.2 volts if you vape till 'weak battery' except for @Dieseljesus (but it's long winded to explain, but I can if you want)

While there is no 'stealth' option, you can turn the screen brightness down in the settings on the mod. 

I always swap when I lose too much flavor. The battery level indicator is showing empty on the display. However, I think I start to lose flavor a bit earlier than when battery level is showing empty. I believe I'm using molicels as well but rewrapped a few times so not sure

13 hours ago, Wayneo said:

I normally swap it when the icon is getting low as the power drop is clear. To test today i pushed it till i got the check battery warning and the device started to restart itself “ didnt get any low battery warning before that”

after that i popped the battery in my charger and it showed 3.65v

22 minutes ago, EagleRock said:

I normally swap it when the icon is getting low as the power drop is clear. To test today i pushed it till i got the check battery warning and the device started to restart itself “ didnt get any low battery warning before that”

after that i popped the battery in my charger and it showed 3.65v

Typical of a cell with hundreds of recharges or are older than 5 years old. Think of it, a typical cell is rated for 250 to 500 recharges. And if you recharge a cell everyday, in 6 months time that is already at 180 recharges. Some battery rechargers can report accurate cell capacity. It will show the battery has lost 20% or more of its capacity in this state. Some other chargers can read the internal battery resistance. And they will increase as they age and gets used.

5 hours ago, BillW50 said:

Typical of a cell with hundreds of recharges or are older than 5 years old. Think of it, a typical cell is rated for 250 to 500 recharges. And if you recharge a cell everyday, in 6 months time that is already at 180 recharges. Some battery rechargers can report accurate cell capacity. It will show the battery has lost 20% or more of its capacity in this state. Some other chargers can read the internal battery resistance. And they will increase as they age and gets used.

All my cells are bought between April and June this year and I have about 15 of them so I highly doubt that the age got anything to do with it. Add to that that I have around 30+ vapes and many of them with internal batteries. Most of my batteries had like 5-10 charges at most before I got the DNA80C chips. In comparison. I can run my stubby and for one battery on that one I need to change 3-4 times on the San DNA80C

The batteries are all brand new bought same time as the mod 2 weeks ago, im using the Nitecore ums2 charger.

I think this might be an indication that the chip need so much voltage to run, something is not right.

• Like 1

Would you mind taking a screenshot of Device Monitor while you are taking a puff? logging Battery Voltage and Power at least (Wondering if it could be voltage drop on the battery connector, loaded vs unloaded voltage.) Are you noticing power drop off during firing, or is it showing a low battery percentage as well?

Would you post your settings .ecig file please? (Just to see if it differs in any important way.)

Also what brand/model of quick charger are you having problems with?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, James said:

Would you mind taking a screenshot of Device Monitor while you are taking a puff? logging Battery Voltage and Power at least (Wondering if it could be voltage drop on the battery connector, loaded vs unloaded voltage.) Are you noticing power drop off during firing, or is it showing a low battery percentage as well?

Would you post your settings .ecig file please? (Just to see if it differs in any important way.)

Thanks!

I have been testing the blaze a bit more now and I can say that on the same settings and with the same tank as on the San DNA80C, the blaze performs better. I can't give any numbers but it feels like a battery on the Blaze last for at least 2-3 times what it would do on the San DNA80C. Out traveling now but when I'm back I can see if I can get some more data. Right now I can't use the San because frankly it would drain my batteries completely before I had the chance to recharge them and the Blaze is much better.

However, the Blaze can't beat my Stubby, San V1 non DNA, Raga AIO, Zaion etc. It would be awesome devices if we could get a better performance curve or a fix to sort out battery usage.

On 7/24/2024 at 2:28 PM, BillW50 said:

Hi @Dieseljesus and @EagleRock. OK I'll take a DNA80C to the work bench and do some testing. I'll report back in about 2 days.

SAN DNA80C AIO #108 Firmware SP78
BATT#1 RPY 20w 768 puffs 3.46v 3ml
BATT#2 PWR 18w 949 puffs 3.39v 3ml

Stubby Xray AIO #14138
BATT#1 PWR 18w 847 puffs 3.19v 4ml
BATT#2 PWR 18w 858 puffs 3.33v 3.5ml

I'm not seeing any real difference in battery longevity. I remember @EagleRock was using 30w and @intel was using 35w. So what wattage are you using @Dieseljesus? I could do it again at higher wattages. The SAN DNA80C would report weak battery at the tail end. The Stubby would dial back the wattage and then refused to fire claiming weak battery at the tail end. Any questions of my results, just ask.

@EagleRock, @intel, and @Dieseljesus, are you all using boost? As that will drain the battery faster. The Stubby for example doesn't sport boost. I didn't use boost for my tests. I should add the coil read 0.16Ω on the SAN and 0.17Ω on the Stubby.

Edited by BillW50

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, James said:

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.61e395d80a6a529b294ab3b269f8a705.png

I have since installed a weaker 0.6ohm coil at 25w as something for 30-40w compatible with the shift tank was unavailable at my local store, it does yield me better bat life but sacrifices quite a bit of flavor, here is a screenshot. 45w might just be too much for a single 18650.

Edited by intel

7 hours ago, BillW50 said:

Stubby Xray AIO #14138

I'm not seeing any real difference in battery longevity. I remember @EagleRock was using 30w and @intel was using 35w. So what wattage are you using @Dieseljesus? I could do it again at higher wattages. The SAN DNA80C would report weak battery at the tail end. The Stubby would dial back the wattage and then refused to fire claiming weak battery at the tail end. Any questions of my results, just ask.

I'm usually running 0.20 and 0.15 on 55-75w on both the San, blaze and Stubby. No boost.

• Like 1

@EagleRock, @intel, and @Dieseljesus, are you all using boost? As that will drain the battery faster. The Stubby for example doesn't sport boost. I didn't use boost for my tests. I should add the coil read 0.16Ω on the SAN and 0.17Ω on the Stubby.

Hi Bill,

no boost here.

Asking about your results. Do you mean you got 768 puffs from 3ml of liquid?? I have had the San for 3 weeks and buff count only shows 1653 and i must have used over 50ml.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BillW50 said:

Stubby Xray AIO #14138

Ill count how many buffs do i get with mine with a fresh battery but im thinking it is less than 50.

• Like 1

Gents, I do believe @James was hoping for a 'Device Monitor' from all 3 of you. Ideally it should look like below. The only addition I'll make is if you hover in the middle of a puff it will show details such as battery voltage at that time (see my mouse arrow). @Dieseljesus thanks for finally compairing to your blaze, and could you swap boro and battery again.

Edit: And if you go to settings on your mod and click(fire button) at the top, it will show current puffs and firmware (also requested for all 3 of you).

Screen Shot 2024-07-26 at 6.56.47 AM.png

• Like 1