JAC Vapour Series-B DNA75, reading wrong resistance (bit too high)

DMcC

Ok, here's an addendum...

I was mucking around with my Berzerker MTL RDA yesterday, which has a very tight barrel.  It happened to be on the Series-B at the time so I ended up doing some pretty serious twisting, and finally some rocking while pulling it to get the barrel off while it was screwed down on the mod.

When I finished adjusting the airflow and put it back together, it was immediately reading the resistance correctly (and more correctly than during this entire process), and appears to also be extremely stable, so far.  Tried the other tanks/coils I've been working with and had identical improvements.  It has just decided to seemingly suddenly behave itself and has been extremely stable since the event in question.

Is it possible that something was up with the 510 connector/pin/plate that may have corrected itself due to my reefing it around a bit?  Not suggesting this fixed anything at all just yet, but I am not sufficiently informed on what effects the resistance readings to conclude anything so thought I'd mention it here in case it is something that may well have been jarred loose or perhaps now is making a better connection somewhere.  May also be temporary for all I know but thought I'd add it to the information here in case it's useful.

Obviously, I'm just sitting on it anyway until I get the sandstorm one I ordered so will continue to monitor it, but it's amazing having my TC back.  If it holds up over the week or two it will take for that mod to make it to me, maybe all is well... time will tell, it always does (with apologies to Doctor Who for stealing his line).

~DMcC

My guess is this is a bad solder joint somewhere, that the tinkering with has adjusted, or it's something on the connector or spring loaded barrel as you suggest,  either way a small drop or something could return it to it's faulty state, keep me updated if any new info comes to light.

Well, the sandstorm model arrived today and while it took me a while to get it all into the setup I was used to with the 22mm one (and I'm having to wait to discharge a battery to 25-50% to run case thermals, and will attempt Wayne's suggested case resistance measurement---but correctly using TC wire this time), it seems to be off and running.  An interesting aside (unclear if this is indicative of something off with the board or not): with the new one, I can remove materials from the board.  I am unable to do that with the 22mm for whatever reason.  I can add materials it seems, but not remove them which always seemed odd to me.

For the record, even with the existing case thermals and a case resistance of 0.003, it was reading the resistance correctly immediately.  Did some changing tanks while doing set-up and it briefly read a 0.74ohm coil at 0.77 (which could be due to some warmth still in that coil), it quickly settled back to reading it perfectly at 0.74.

Meanwhile, the 22mm one is behaving much as it was when I started this thread --- it was back to reading a bit high (~0.77) but still usable, but is already slowly creeping up over time and is 0.79 currently on that same coil so I'm going to assume nothing was fixed in a persistent manner from my jiggery pokery and as you say, there is possibly some minor issue with a solder joint or connector or spring and will just continue with the warranty return to get that one in a happy state :).

Thanks again for all the help provided with this.

~DMcC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DMcC said:

Wayne's suggested case resistance measurement

Case Thermal characteristics  does not require any atty at all attached to the mod. Just a known constant temp, and batteries like you mentioned.

Mod resistance. Yes, TC wire, uncoiled.

3 hours ago, DMcC said:

... with the new one, I can remove materials from the board.  I am unable to do that with the 22mm for whatever reason

On your 22, any material you want to remove must first be removed from any profile using it.

Hi again Wayneo.

I'm aware the material has to be unused in the profiles.  With the new device, the buttons in EScribe are functional, and if pressed would tell me that it's in use by a profile.  On the other device the buttons are just greyed out and can't be pushed regardless.  I'm not dwelling on that in particular btw, just struck me as a bit odd :)

~DMcC

• 3 months later...

RESISTANCE PROBLEM RESOLVED

DMcC, 

Faced the same problems with the resistance reading high.

When the mod arrived , all was fine, but a month later the resistance started fluctuating. I was forced to stick to watts vaping on this device. Wish I could make use of the warranty, but since I'm overseas and basically did not want to get into  the cumbersome process. Had got the mod shipped from JAC(UK) to USA to a friend's place who was flying back home to India.

Over  time, the resistance had started reading 0.3 ohms in excess, i.e. a 1 ohm coil had started reading as 1.3 -1.4 ohms. ...

Opened up the device just to see the grounding of the negative wire and every wire was properly soldered onto the board.  Re-soldered the negatives and positives but no success. The"form factor" of the device somehow always attracted me and hence continued to vape on it only on wattage mode.

In the meantime, got myself a LostVape Mirage 75C, enjoyed the mod , but missed the JAC. 

I finally decided to give the JAC another go. Opened up the two screws of the top cap of the 510 plate and shorted the soldering of the negative below the plate of the 510 with the outer diameter of the 510 (the negative basically)  with a metallic nail file (lol),  while I had my Hastur mini atomiser screwed in the 510......AND BAM... The Reading which was showing 1.36 ohms, as if by miracle, started showing 1.05ohms.

Thought of soldering a small piece of wire securing the negative connection between the  outer barrel of the 510 to the plate itself (under the plate), but realised the DESIGN FLAW.... the 510 is press fitted onto the plate which was not giving a secure negative connection. Noticed, that the 510 was protruding half a mm above the plate.  All I did was put all the screws back in place, put the mod on the  floor , and with a small flat hammer gave the 510, 2-3 shots. All this did was, make the connection between the 510 and the plate solid. The protusion of half a mm also became negligible and the resistance on my JAC is back to perfect. My Mirage has gone back to the shelf and am back with my love.

However it was very nice  of our JAC member to extend all kind of help and assistance. Hats off !!! ....   It is nice to hear that JAC is coming up with a 75C. Dear Jac member, if you are there, is it possible for you guys to ship it to India ?  Will definitely be getting the JAC 75C, any which way.

In the mean time, Happy Vaping .......................................

---TANNY.

• Like 2

Hi Tanny,

Nice to see someone poking at this longer than I did...I was going to get into the connections and board more deeply, but JAC convinced me just to do a warranty return so I stopped thinking about it much.  Your summary here is amazing and I'll be keeping this in mind should a similar problem arise in future as I still have two of these mods, although both have been behaving well since dealing with the first one I had referenced originally here.

As for the DNA75C, I'm still checking my e-mail and their website all the time waiting for an announcement "coming soon" or some such :).  They did indicate maybe August, so might be soon depending on how their prototyping and manufacture arrangements are going.  I finally got a squonker that uses a 75C chip and holy hell am I enjoying that chip a lot.  Amazing board.  Can't wait for the JAC update as I'll happily buy an upgrade to the Series-B assuming it maintains that sexy compact form factor which I like so much.

Obviously, I do not work for JAC Vapour so what I'm say here about shipping is just based on my reading of their shipping information, but they definitely ship internationally (I live in Canada and they ship here without issue).  I don't see any reason they wouldn't ship to India unless there is something about the routing of mail from the UK to India that I don't know about.

Cheers and thanks again for posting the solution you came up with here.  Very much appreciate it.

Keep calm and vape on o/

~DMcC

Thanks for the update, I have one with a similar issue that returned here, so I'll go over it according to your suggestions. In regards to the future DNA devices the final prototype of the 250c should arrive this week, if all is good we should be able to start production, so that will arrive first probably late August to mid Spetember, the 75c should follow behind this quite closely. Nothing will be confirmed until the next few weeks though, and I'll firm things up then.

• 1 month later...
Am 30.7.2018 um 10:05 schrieb JAC:

Thanks for the update, I have one with a similar issue that returned here, so I'll go over it according to your suggestions. In regards to the future DNA devices the final prototype of the 250c should arrive this week, if all is good we should be able to start production, so that will arrive first probably late August to mid Spetember, the 75c should follow behind this quite closely. Nothing will be confirmed until the next few weeks though, and I'll firm things up then.

Anything new from the 250c or 75c?

Sorry for the delayed reply, been away for last week, Currently the DNA devices have some build issues, and we also have a finish problem, so, unfortunately, it's been longer than we wanted, mainly because we are working with a new production line on this (a new company that is) and they are getting used to our build needs. Realistically I think we will land it late this year (late Nov), and I know Finance will want to hold it back for full release until after Christmas if it's too late, otherwise, sales may suffer, but I've agreed if this happens we can do an early access program for interested users somehow. Apologies if that's too late for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update we are expecting the final prototype with all issues fixed on 5th November which is quite a bit behind schedule. With things starting to back up for material demand and things, it's unlikely we'll land the device this year, although we may have an early access start late in the year. The main launch will be dictated by what's financially best for the company, which is more likely to be early in the New Year.  Sorry to anybody hoping we were going to get this out this year, and as soon as I have any info on pre-launch access I'll update.

Thanks again for updating.  Appreciate that you do that.  This is wonderful news, and I understand that there are business issues as well with respect to release dates.  I'll keep calm and vape on in the meantime and will still be looking forward to the fruits of all your labour here :).

Cheers o/

• 3 months later...
Am 19.10.2018 um 10:17 schrieb JAC:

Just to update we are expecting the final prototype with all issues fixed on 5th November which is quite a bit behind schedule. With things starting to back up for material demand and things, it's unlikely we'll land the device this year, although we may have an early access start late in the year. The main launch will be dictated by what's financially best for the company, which is more likely to be early in the New Year.  Sorry to anybody hoping we were going to get this out this year, and as soon as I have any info on pre-launch access I'll update.

So, anything new you can tell us, maybe?

Personally, I wasn't expecting much action early in the year in any case due to Lunar New Year.  Shame to hear it's been pushed further out but will continue to watch for action.  In the meantime, I'm ordering another Series-B as I really do like that mod a lot (and JAC seem to be shipping them with free S22 tanks atm...bonus to snag another one of those) so would be nice to have a spare to fill the void until you get a DNA75C option happening :).

Honestly, I could content myself with the DNA75 for most things if it weren't for the relatively poor efficiency of that board (you can rally notice the battery life difference on the DNA75C vs 75).  After experimenting I've found I still prefer straight TC over Replay most of the time anyway, and the Series-B is a sexy mod, so what the hell.

Thanks for the update again though - always appreciated.

~DMcC