Weak temp control vape with ISub SS coil

Toronto Tonto

Hello, first time poster here. As the title states, I'm experiencing a weak vape with my ISub SS 0.5 ohm coils. I tried setting the resistance when the coil was at room temp and it read under 0.5. Then I dialed in my wattage. Net result is almost no vapor even when I set the temperature or wattage very high. I tried to manually dial in the resistance to 5.3 and got a better vape but still weak. What's going on here? Thanks in advance.

I'm almost tempted to spend fifty bucks and  buy an Innokin tc device to see if their mod can drive the coil properly. It's a nice coil in wattage mode, very similar to the Clapton. I can singe the coil if I chain hard for three or more hard pulls in a row and I was hoping the evolv could save me a coil here or there while giving a nice vape. Maybe I'm saving the cotton but I'm not getting near the quality of vape I was expecting. Way too cool and thin in TC even at high temperatures and wattages and I'm someone who happily vapes at a modest 30 watts and likes a coolish vapor. I think the resistance is not correlating accurately to the temperature of the coil. There, I said it. Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks to those who have already posted.

What version of EScribe are you using?  Is the service pack on your device the most current one? This is the recommended Escribe version as of this date I think and includes the most current service pack if it needs to be installed:  

EScribe Suite 2.0 SP5.2
For US-based customers: https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupEScribe2_SP5_2_US_ServicePack.exe
For international customers: https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupEScribe2_SP5_2_INTL_ServicePack.exe

I've not used the coil you are vaping.....  I ponder why your wattage in temp mode levels out at about 7.5 watts when it reaches 220C temp..... it shows reaching the set temp and holding the temp.  I'm wondering if that coil is a vertical coil with one leg longer than the other.  I ran across a vertical coil a while back that was supposed to work in temp mode but it was a weak vape and never vaped like all my other temp sensing coils but it worked good in wattage (power) mode......  

From your posts I gather you have no other temp device to try this coil on and it is your first temp coil.  

• Like 1

That is the EScribe version and service pack I'm using. I've tried this coil in my Fuchai Duo and Minikin 2 and it's even worse with those mods. The Minikin is slightly worse than the evolv mod and the Fuchai doesn't seem to produce any vapor at all. I'm not too upset with those, as I didn't expect to use them in TC but the evolv I bought specifically to use in TC.

13 hours ago, giz_60 said:

It's reaching temp according to Device Monitor... OEM coils can cause these issues

When I first switched over to using DNA mods, which I did to get a good TC experience, I too had alot of issues with the ISub coils in TC mode. Gave my ISubs to a friend who vapes strictly in wattage mode because of all the headaches...

Edited by giz_60
  • Like 1

giz_60: That's good to know. I may have to try another tank/coil combo then? If this is the case, what coil did you switch to for use in TC? retird: I assumed the Minikin and Fuchai were going to be weak in temp control based on reviews. Now that I know someone else has had a bad experience with Innokin TC coils, I have to rethink. I'd like to try a temp control coil that works well with evolv and would welcome suggestions on that front. Something in the 0.5 area would probably be a good place to start since that's what I've been using in wattage mode.

I have since gone to build yer own atty's & have never looked back. A lot of people have had success with atty's with OEM coils, so maybe they can chime in with their suggestions & experiences...can say this for sure, stay away from any of the SMOK TFV atty's because they have a floating pin in the base which will cause some really wonky fluctuating resistance issues...even with their build decks as well...just my 2 cents...

Edited by giz_60

By any chance does the atomizer have nickel legs? (The legs heating up even 20 degrees would register as 100 degrees in Stainless, even if the coil is sitting at room temperature. I wish this were a rare issue.) If you vape it in power-controlled mode at a comfortable level, graph Live Ohms and see if it reads something completely improbable for Stainless. 480F (around where you hear a crackle) is 20% higher Ohms than room temperature if it's all Stainless.

My everyday OEM coil is a "notch coil" which is placed on a build deck type tank.  Probably not what you are wanting and ohm rating not what you specify. 

https://www.myvaporstore.com/Wismec-NotchCoil-Pack-of-5-for-Theorem-Atomizer-p/wist40.htm

I sometimes use an Aspire Ni200 OEM coil in an Aspire Triton 2 tank.... again probably not what you are wanting....

http://www.aspirecig.com/aspire-tanks/triton/triton443.html

I have positive experience with OEM coils I use and I only use OEM coils.... others hopefully will chime in on what they like in the way of OEM coils.... folks that use OEM coils may be in the minority..... :)

Screenshot of Notch Coil in tank:

Notch.png

retird, I noticed that the Triton coil is rated at 20-45 watts, so maybe it would be something I would like. One thing I might try is a 0.2 nickel coil for my yet to be delivered Herakles Pro tank. That coil is rated at 15-50 watts. That would save me from having to buy another tank to continue with my foray into TC.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with SS316 coils from Joyetech is that they use a standard TCR of 120, it's the default setting of Joyetech mods. When I use a custom TCR of 88 or 92 (the most common values normally used for SS316) I get a very weak and cold vape. I believe the same holds true for Kangertech SS coils, at least my experience is the same. Maybe your problem is the same also? Non-Chinese mods with a default SS316 profile almost always use a TCR of 88 or 92 and not 120. Higher TCR's will cause higher temperatures.

There is something strange going on with some Chinese oem coils that has led me to believe they don't really use SS316, but some other SS alloy.  Besides Joyetech and Kangertech, the same also holds true for Eleaf SS coils 

I have since then flashed alternative firmware on my Joyetech mod and found out in the second thread mentioned below that I needed a TCR of 120 when using Joyetech SS coils. 

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/the-ultimate-tcr-list.721201/

https://nfeteam.org/forum/threads/tc-on-pico25-too-weak-compared-to-stock-firmware.816/

Edited by denniz

Given that the accuracy of TC is determined by the TCR values of the specific alloy in use, "playing" with the TCR, IE guessing or trying different values until you get the vape you want, kind of defeats that accuracy and can lead to significantly different temperatures being present.  The result being that device monitor will report the temperature based on that "fudged" TCR and not on reality.  That's why I use, strictly, RBA atomizers and wire from known, reliable, sources.

• Like 2