Aspire Triton coils 316L

mrdee3

If you click on "how it works" in the bottom left corner, there's a page with instructions. It helped me a lot. I just copied and pasted an excerpt

"TFR and TCR

If the calculator has a resistance factor by temperature table for a particular coil material, it uses that.

When the selected temperature points don't correspond to the data points that are stored with the coil material, the calculator approximates them using linear interpolation.

If no table is present for a material, the calculator uses the TCR to calculate the resistances."

mrdee3 said:

Steam engine has a 316L curve but it will not load in E-scribe. So i'm looking for a good temp curve.
Also what is the difference between TCR and TFR?
Thank's

Did you get the triton 316L temp control working? The TFR curve on steam-engine has a few points that are identical (first two and last two I believe) so I got the error when trying to load the saved CSV, or save it after manually copying and pasting the points. Once I realized it was beause it needed every point increased, I replaced a far decimal point so each point increased by like .00000001 above the other one, and that solved the issue.

I haven't perfected it, but I will play with it some more in a bit. But it's working good so far, set around 430F to 440F and ~40 watts, I only used it about 30 minutes, but when I realized those points being identical was a problem, I wanted to share. I'll tinker some more after I get done working in a bit.

Vape_Like_A_Boss said:

The TFR curve on steam-engine has a few points that are identical (first two and last two I believe) so I got the error when trying to load the saved CSV, or save it after manually copying and pasting the points. Once I realized it was beause it needed every point increased, I replaced a far decimal point so each point increased by like .00000001 above the other one, and that solved the issue.

[Outdated info in grey:]
Oh, right. The reason for this is that when you query a temperature below the lowest temperature in the curve stored with the coil material in Steam Engine, it returns the factor for the lowest available temperature (in other words, a flat curve). The same thing happens if you query a temperature above the highest temp.

I'll update the curves for 316L and 317L with some additional temp points. Maybe implement some extrapolation as well, in order to return better factors for out-of-bounds temperatures.

In the mean time, lowering the lowest temp factor(s), and/or increasing the highest one(s) by a tiny amount should do the trick, as you've discovered.

Alternatively, you can just remove the out-of-bounds temperature point(s) from the first box in the TCR calculator altogether. This is probably the cleanest solution, and the easiest one as well.

Edit to add:

I have improved the TFR curve for 316L and added one for Ti1. I could not find a good curve for 317L, so that one is still using a linear TCR.

I also added extrapolation for edge cases, though I don't believe it will be used much from now on.