Default function of up down buttons

blueridgedog

Agreed -- another vote for being able to configure the buttons to adjust temp.  

Would also like to be able to display temp in large font with wattage being the tiny font.

Would also like to be able to set the temp increment for each button press.  Sometimes 10 degrees is too much either way and a computer isn't handy nearby to tweak the temp less than 10 degrees.

The temp control on DNA 200 is so spot on that wattage has become almost irrelevant as long as it is set to enough.  The performance has finally made it to true temp control leaving temp protection behind in its wake.  The user interface can now evolv (!) to reflect the new level of performance the board delivers.

I finally got a mod put together with DNA 200 board inside in a portable package that I trust enough to carry around all day.  After using it as an all day mod, this board is what all other mods want to be when they grow up lol.

(can you tell I'm happy with how well it works lol)

When in TC mode why would you ever change your wattage?  Why also would you not simply set your TC mod to its max wattage?  (non-rhetorical...curious) I am set at 200 and vape at around 20 or so to keep my set temp.  The one reason not to I guess is in the event that it may jump out of TC mode, but I have never seen that to be the case with the 200 and a standard nickel coil.  What am I missing?

blueridgedog said:

When in TC mode why would you ever change your wattage?  Why also would you not simply set your TC mod to its max wattage?  (non-rhetorical...curious) I am set at 200 and vape at around 20 or so to keep my set temp.  The one reason not to I guess is in the event that it may jump out of TC mode, but I have never seen that to be the case with the 200 and a standard nickel coil.  What am I missing?

Same as any VW device to set the amount of vapour, just using temp you may get more vapour than you want from large coils and less from small.  With just temp consider the different vape from a small single coil and large dual coils.  The usefulness of wattage adjustment hasn't gone away with temp limiting.

VapingBad has a valid point.

It all depends on your build and especially on juice delivery. If you can deliver (and vaporize) enough juice 200w might indeed produce more vapor than a casual user might desire.

Right now, on my standard builds I do the same thing as BRDog, I set the wattage high and let temp throttle the wattage. That works because my builds are not supplying enough juice to require more than 15-20w to maintain temp, and that yields an acceptable amount of vapor for me. If my juice delivery provided more flow/throughput, the increased juice flow would have a cooling effect on the coil and it might take 120w to maintain the same temp which would also yield a heck of a lot more vapor - possibly too much.

Wattage is indeed a vapor throttle, at a given temp, but only if you have the juice delivery to support it. I think the next big frontier is going to be truly adjustable juice delivery systems that can support high wattage temperature control. Perhaps something "active" like a micro-pump or an Archimedes' screw.

Anyway, I too support making it configurable, allow the user to swap wattage and temp controls.

Ok, so if my RTA could flow more juice, I would get more vapor as it would use the wattage available as it sagged in temp, so folks with say drippers would dial back the wattage and just vape under the set temp so not to blow big clouds?  Personally I would love, LOVE to find an RTA that would flow more.  I like my Tailfun's but would love to get some more vapor from time to time.  Any recommendations as I am a tank guy for certain.

blueridgedog said:

Ok, so if my RTA could flow more juice, I would get more vapor as it would use the wattage available as it sagged in temp, so folks with say drippers would dial back the wattage and just vape under the set temp so not to blow big clouds?  Personally I would love, LOVE to find an RTA that would flow more.  I like my Tailfun's but would love to get some more vapor from time to time.  Any recommendations as I am a tank guy for certain.

Well sort of. The first part about using more wattage as temp sagged is spot on. The dripper part, not so much IMHO. In a fully saturated dripper I would use a smaller coil if I was getting too much vapor, rather than run it under temp. A smaller coil wouldnt be able to "vaporize" as many ?L of juice per second as a larger coil can, assuming both are fully saturated. 

As for a high flow tank, I too would love to hear recommendations. I use the same tank you do.

Imagine an atty where you set the wattage based on how strong a hit you wanted, and the temp was a closed loop controller tied into an active juice delivery system. As temp sagged juice flow would slow, as temp reached setpoint juice flow would speed up. Of course this would also require a coil capable of handling the upper range of your wattage while fully saturated.

mikepetro said:

Imagine an atty where you set the wattage based on how strong a hit you wanted, and the temp was a closed loop controller tied into an active juice delivery system. As temp sagged juice flow would slow, as temp reached setpoint juice flow would speed up. Of course this would also require a coil capable of handling the upper range of your wattage while fully saturated.

I have played with the thought. One analog output would do it. When firing the mod,
Vout = (1 - (Patty / Pselected)) * 5
would give a nice 0-5V signal to control a juice pump. But I guess squonking will always be simpler and more reliable. ;)

The thing is, a big build that needs, say, 120 watts to reach 450 F can be throttled back by limiting either wattage or temp (or both but no real point in that). I believe the end effect would be the same. To noodle it out, say 50 watts on that build will max out at 410 F and that 50 watt vape is all you want in terms of enough vaper. Just set temp to 410 for equivalent effect and leave the power setting where it was at 120?

I would like to see temp setting as a default mode to. In the morning I like to vape around 350f after 30mins I'm up to 420f, at work I have it set to 450f so I can take a quick shot because I'm not aloud to vape. Adjusting the temp through watts causes a slow ramp time to temp

Laguz75 said:

I would like to see temp setting as a default mode to. In the morning I like to vape around 350f after 30mins I'm up to 420f, at work I have it set to 450f so I can take a quick shot because I'm not aloud to vape. Adjusting the temp through watts causes a slow ramp time to temp

Seems like 3 profile for this would be the easiest for you either way.

Don't understand the last sentence "Adjusting the temp through watts causes a slow ramp time to temp"

Watts and temp limit adjust different things and I would expect that lowering temp limit would increase heat up time as the pre-heat will then stop at a lower temp where it would not do so by lowering the watts.

It's somewhat of a slow ramp time, let's say I'm vaping at 350f in the morning so I'll set it to about 7watts cuz it's set at 420f there's not any preheat time and reaching 350f depends on how long I'm inhaling, which causes the slow ramp time. With the coil cold it takes longer to ramp up. It's just to much of a guessing game so I'm having to mess with my device like I'm playing a video game :)

Laguz75 said:

It's somewhat of a slow ramp time, let's say I'm vaping at 350f in the morning so I'll set it to about 7watts cuz it's set at 420f there's not any preheat time and reaching 350f depends on how long I'm inhaling, which causes the slow ramp time. With the coil cold it takes longer to ramp up. It's just to much of a guessing game so I'm having to mess with my device like I'm playing a video game :)

I would have a play with it in device monitor so you can see how the diff settings affect it IIWU and take out some of that guess work.

The default (DNA40) behaviour is to pre-heat for up to a second or until 100 F below the temp limit, whichever comes first, so lowering the temp limit will shorten the pre-heat.  You can make a lot of adjustments to the pre-heat and suggest you do 3 profiles for each phase you describe where you can really tune these to what you want for each mood/time of day.  Changes profiles on the mod is really quick.