EEPROM read failed

punksofada

punksofada, what firmware is your device running? (What version in Device Monitor?)

If it is 2015-06-02, you will definitely need to update your firmware before uploading/downloading. That was a beta firmware that manufacturers were supposed to update to release firmware before shipping. A few didn't, unfortunately. Manufacturers are supposed to run all their mods through Production Utility as well for final functional test, which would specifically prevent this, but, again, a few don't. Most do, thankfully... So, update your firmware, and it will work perfectly. :)

If your firmware is fairly recent, try the 9/3 or 9/30 EScribe in the Early Firmware thread. Those have longer timeouts for slower PCs and for computers running Windows under virtualization (Macs for instance).

Device is on version 2015-08-21. I just tried the 9/3 firmware and it's doing the same thing. I guess I'll give another version a shot. Edit: I did a hard reboot and then tried downloading settings, and it got almost done before the error popped up this time. I'm thinking it may be my computer being slow. That was the most I'd seen it do

Hmm. I was going to make a small EScribe update on Monday. "EEPROM read failed" is a very generic error -- nearly all underlying errors while uploading/downloading will give it. I'll add a debug feature to Monday's release to make it possible to get at the underlying error message. All other functions - Tools->Reboot Device, Tools->Show Serial Number, etc. all work perfectly? Does Device Monitor say 'error' in the fields at any consistent rate?

I finally got it to work once. Seemed really slow, but did work. I'm thinking it may be a pc issue. I set the priority higher in task manager. Lol. I don't know if that helped or just by chance it wanted to work right after that. I just want to clarify that the pc I'm using isn't exactly new, so that could be the problem. But I really appreciate the help. I'm gonna keep fiddling with it and see if I can get it working a little smoother.

Not getting errors anywhere else except when trying to upload and download. It seems the monitor is working flawlessly. The reboots work flawlessly as well. The only other error I got every once in a while said "can't figure out device version" or something very similar, I can't quite remember. The first thing I did when I connected the device for the first time was update the firmware on the device, so it has been up to date the whole time I believe.

Sounds a lot like the USB timeout associated with running an operating system in a virtual environment, so there is probably some lag going on at the PC level slowing things down.  One way I have addressed that in the past is to make a new user account and log in as that user as that often bypasses a great deal of startup related items that people tend to collect over the years.

punksofada, I've made a version (2015-10-20 1.0.35) that can show the underlying error message. It's in the Early Firmware thread in the Software and Firmware forum. To unlock the full error details, go to Help->About and left click on the Evolv logo seven times. After that, it will show the error details along with the error.

• 2 years later...