Dna200 will not turn on with jst connector plugged in

seanmb

I made my friend a dna200 as a wedding gift. He used it for a few months and then reported that passthrough charging no longer worked. Later it wouldnt charge at all. I switched the battery and it would only turn on when the jst connector (balance leads) were not connected. To be more specific it flashes on and turns off immediately when the jst connector is plugged in. I resoldered the jst head pins to the board but it had no effect. The fuse also appears fine, i have not checked it though. Any suggestions on where to go now? Thanks (board pictures included)

20160113_170018.jpg

20160113_165938.jpg

20160113_170007.jpg

20160113_165849.jpg

20160113_165912.jpg

20160113_165838.jpg

sounds to me like it's RMA time. is the board still under warranty? with no battery connected at all, no jst and no main pos and neg, does the board connect to escribe via usb? if it does try a hard reboot (even tho disconnecting the batt is a hard reboot), force a new firmware update, in device monitor see what the cell and pack voltages are, if the the board will function when you plug the pack in while in escribe.

I just hard rebooted the device and had it update firmware. When I after i plugged the battery back, i checked device monitor. It displayed cell 1 as zero volts and cell 2 as 5.something volts and cell 3 as the normal 4.1 or so volts. When i checked the same battery with another device, each cell had around 4.1 volts.

seanmb said:

I just hard rebooted the device and had it update firmware. When I after i plugged the battery back, i checked device monitor. It displayed cell 1 as zero volts and cell 2 as 5.something volts and cell 3 as the normal 4.1 or so volts. When i checked the same battery with another device, each cell had around 4.1 volts.

i'm not knocking your soldering skills but try and reflow those balance pinouts on the board for your jst connector. some look a lil janky and possibly a few cold joints. it's super hard to tell by pics alone. you could have some cold solder joints. i have no idea what kind of soldering equipment you have so.......u using an electronics safe flux? you should if you aren't.

Sounds like the solderd pin for cell one has fractured and connection lost or intermitant.. Somting shorting, it would have failed from the very onset, The tinyist bit of wire touching one joint from anouther, thats fell in after building, also pluging in to somthing els and finding there isnt a batery problem, obviously check that when you plug it into the board the little connectors are actualy sliding into each outher and not missaligning and pushing out the back of the connector..and connectors are clean, a pinhead amount of flux is enough to clog up one of those little connector things... cant comment on how silver solder performs, i only use 60/40, but obviously just because its pricey doesnt mean its the best for that perticular job..

seanmb said:

I made my friend a dna200 as a wedding gift. He used it for a few months and then reported that passthrough charging no longer worked. Later it wouldnt charge at all. I switched the battery and it would only turn on when the jst connector (balance leads) were not connected. To be more specific it flashes on and turns off immediately when the jst connector is plugged in. I resoldered the jst head pins to the board but it had no effect. The fuse also appears fine, i have not checked it though. Any suggestions on where to go now? Thanks (board pictures included)

looks like the 510 red lead is touching the mounting tab little drop of solder nothing to do with balance connector but can not be good

2570945-1.jpg

you can knock that bit off with a bit of a blade, it may have burnt free from underneath when pressing the fire button, cant see that linked to your jst leads, why would it affect just one cell.. In the pic what is the single black strand running the length of your ground solder joint to component..looks a bit like a tadpole or gillfluke with a little black head sucking onto the side of the component below ground solder tab
updated
now looking at the pics on computer, it looks like at the jst, well both ends,that there's some sort of burning or corrosion going on at the solder joints and a few of the dna200 soldered parts seem to be blackend like a zinc battery has leaked all over it...