Escribe Software ISSUE

Hello everyone.  I was trying to download and install the eScribe software and it keeps locking up on my Win8.1 machine.

So -- Sadly I have not been able to even attempt any tweaks.  Is their any known software that conflicts with Escribe?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brandon said this a couple days ago:

BlackouTT, I was having a similar issues yesterday and James determined it was server connection related.  In other words, I think there may have been some connection issues on our end.  I know that James is looking into it.

Maybe this is what you are seeing. I run windows 8.1 64 bit too without issue but am not doing an install. Maybe uninstall and try again?  

Feklar, if you go to "Options" in Escribe and un-check "automatically check for updates" that would make it work. But of course you have to have the software launched to do that...

We should add a timeout if it can't communicate with the server after 15 seconds or something. Good catch, onto the "to do" list. 

A popup message after the timeout period saying something like "Can't connect to server for updates. Continue without updates?" and have a yes or no choice in the dialog box would be handy. The user would be notified of the problem with a way to continue running the program.

John said:

Feklar, if you go to "Options" in Escribe and un-check "automatically check for updates" that would make it work. But of course you have to have the software launched to do that...

We should add a timeout if it can't communicate with the server after 15 seconds or something. Good catch, onto the "to do" list. 

Yeah -- it will just sit and spin and will not let you make any selections.  So yes a timeout would be great.  I get all the files manually but those Proxies/Firewalls are not going to allow most 2 way communication.

Anyway thanks.

The updater is already on a background thread. Which is why this is odd to me.
Feklar, odd question but, do your EScribe tabs have left/right scroll arrows on the right by any chance? I found a "slows down massively" case involving that yesterday.
That said, we ought to have timeouts. I will add a 60 second timeout to the next version, so we'll see if that's the problem. Need to find a proxy to test with as well. :)

James said:

The updater is already on a background thread. Which is why this is odd to me.
Feklar, odd question but, do your EScribe tabs have left/right scroll arrows on the right by any chance? I found a "slows down massively" case involving that yesterday.
That said, we ought to have timeouts. I will add a 60 second timeout to the next version, so we'll see if that's the problem. Need to find a proxy to test with as well. :)

No -- No scrolls from left to right.  I have attached a snipping of the screen for your review.  Looks normal except unable to use anything. eScribe.png

I hope the above helps.

That looks perfectly fine. Guess I need to buy Windows 8.1 to test. For reference, are you on the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows?
The other possibility is it's freezing looking through the list of connected USB devices for DNA 200s. Do you have any unusual USB devices hooked up by any chance?

James just FYI I use 8.1 64 bit and no problem here. Going to load Win10 shortly. Wish me luck!!  I found a few times when trying to download a file from the web it may not work and when I try again it still doesn't work. Most times I can clear the cache and browsing history and try again and it works.

I downloaded what was linked on this thread: https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65933-topic/

Unfortunately it does the same thing.  The screen pops up and then the little windows cirlcle sits and spins.

I am hoping that this is the same version and does not have the time out.  Keep in mind -- I do have connection.  The proxies are just not allowing the two way.  I am not sure if that matters with how you have it coded.

But still no worky at this time.

It is either a software compatibility issue with software I have on the system or a hardware conflict with system.  I have gotten the program to work on an old xp Desktop.  I can't get the board to communicate with that system, but the software does not sit and spin.  I can actually click and do all the drop down menus.

So with my win 8.1 laptop -- it is probably a software compatibility issue with something I have installed.  That is what I am leaning to.

• 1 month later...

I'm having a similar issue.  I get the "sit and spin" thing indefinitely with no device plugged in, when I plug in a DNA200, after it downloads the settings the software pretty much locks up and becomes unresponsive.  At this point, none of the buttons respond when clicked and I can't even close the program without going into task manager to kill it.  I'm running Windows 7 SP1 x64 and I've tried disabling all firewalls and antivirus and disconnecting from my wifi.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Escribe, and I've tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3.  Anyone else having this problem?

Im having the same problem as above. Same setup also Win 7 64 bit SP1. The only way Ive barely been able to use it is hit CTRL/ALT/DEL, cancel that, then it will work for a few seconds and lock up again. The process can be repeated. I haven't complained because I thought it was just me and I set Escribe up on a Win7 32bit machine that works flawless.

For those having issues on Win 7 machines and above have you tried to run eScribe in "XP Compatibility Mode?" (short cut properties > Compatibility > "Run this program in compatibility mode for:").

I would also advise while you're in there click the checkbox for "Run this program as an administrator".