Tungsten Vapers

timbomfg

Search function left me wanting, so here's a post!

This morning i recieved my Horizontech Krixus tank which uses a Tungsten coil embedded in cermaic.

Pulled the CSV from SteamEngine and got the mod loaded up.

225degC @ 75w base, on a 0.37ohm coil

Fires fine, but after a few minutes it starts saying "ohms too high" and shows the ohms have reached into the 0.60 ish territory

Found a couple other vapers on FB experiencing similar issues.

Using EScribe 1.042 with firmware 2016-02-23 on my VT133

Edit: Tried and got the same result both with the resistance locked and unlocked

Thoughts/advice?

If you look at the power graphs on the data sheet you see that temp sensing coils of 0.37 ohms should go up to just over 110 W, in power mode coils of 0.6 ohm should go up to about 145 W.  I would expect the message if you going above these numbers. 

http://evolvapor.com/datasheet/dna200.pdf

No, but you didn't say originally, sorry you did and I missed it.  I have not used this atty so can give no specific advise, maybe see if the manufacture has a forum or contact their customer services if ther is no info on the www.  Failing that I would vape it while attached to Device Monitor to see if you can capture what is happening when you get the warning, hit pause and post the screen shot.

I don't think its the coil/vendor to blame. The unit works fine on 2 different Joyetech TC devices with the tcr set to the same value in TC mode, and also works fine in power mode.

It's something to do with how the DNA200 board reads/works with tungsten i think.

I was not blaming the coil manufacture, just suggesting you ask them for the settings as they will have the most data on the coil. 

Without a device manager screen shot of it doing it I have nothing to go on.  75 W should be fine up to about 1.15 ohm and the only thing I could think of is it dropping out of temp mode because the temp doesn't raise by 150 F in the first second, but if the res is still less than an ohm as you say I don't see why you would get the warning then.

blueridgedog: Touché, none, however, my preheat profile is set to 75w, preheat of 0.5sec and a punch of "5" - Also setting my device to 0 preheat has the same result

But it ALSO has this issue in power mode. That's what i consider the big issue further than the TC aspect.

I'll grab a screenshot once i get in tonight as sadly my work take a dim view of me blowing clouds in the office.

Unless i'm misinformed, shouldn't it be doing its voltage/amperage calculations based off cold ohms though, and regulating using the hot-ohm calculation? 0.4ohm at 6v is still 90w and it never even reaches that.

I can now confirm it plays ball fine on 3 different Joyetechs, the XCube2, the Sig150TC (in power only mode), and even my old ratty BT65

timbomfg said:

Unless i'm misinformed, shouldn't it be doing its voltage/amperage calculations based off cold ohms though, and regulating using the hot-ohm calculation? 0.4ohm at 6v is still 90w and it never even reaches that.

I can now confirm it plays ball fine on 3 different Joyetechs, the XCube2, the Sig150TC (in power only mode), and even my old ratty BT65

This has not been confirmed, but I am 99% sure it it your issue: the DNA 200 is a step down converter designed to run from 3 Li cells is series and is limited to a max output voltage of 9 V.  After multiple user requests in this forum Evolv released firmware that allowed it to operate from 2 series cells at reduced power (133 W).  It is the input voltage that has changed and it does not step up voltage the max output voltage has also changed to 6 V for 2 series cell implementations.  So you need a resistance between 0.0532 ohm and 0.27 ohm for 133 W (max power) in this mode. 

You want 75 W in 2 cell the max res = 0.48 ohm, in 3 cell = 1.08 ohm

V squared over power