Update download not possible on windows XP..?!?

It offers a way to tell it to just "go ahead and install it" does it not?
Don't worry
It was not submitted to MS to be certified (and too late now to do so, no more work on XP by MS)
Oh I missed it, I was thinking install, still should be able to download, perhaps try a different browser if the option to continue is not present.

I performed a nearly full hardware upgrade on my PC some months back. Almost everything except the case and the floppy drive got updated with new equipment. Instead of doing a clean install on the new HD and then moving all the data over one piece at a time I used a program to duplicate my old HD completely onto the new and larger one. The old HD was set a the C: Drive and the new one temporarily was designated D:. After all the data was transferred over I verified the PC worked and then hooked it up to the web to run updates to XP and any associated programs. The updates downloaded but failed to install.  **LINKS REMOVED**

Some investigation showed the new HD was still designated D: even though the old original had been removed already. I changed the drive letter to C: and tried again. Again the updates would only download and not install. Also, during this process, all the old updates to the OS seem to have vanished. I?m now pending 87 updates and they will not install on the PC.   **LINKS REMOVED**

How do I resolve this?

Oh yes. The problem is when you clone Drive C, you also clone all of its memories as well. And Windows gives all drives a serial number and then remembers this drive. So what happens is Windows knows this new drive isn't drive C, so it won't accept it as drive C. The fix is to change the serial number. Then Windows has no memory of this drive and will now accept this drive as the new drive C.

adammary said:

I performed a nearly full hardware upgrade on my PC some months back. Almost everything except the case and the floppy drive got updated with new equipment. Instead of doing a clean install on the new HD and then moving all the data over one piece at a time I used a program to duplicate my old HD completely onto the new and larger one. The old HD was set a the C: Drive and the new one temporarily was designated D:. After all the data was transferred over I verified the PC worked and then hooked it up to the web to run updates to XP and any associated programs. The updates downloaded but failed to install.  LINKS REMOVED

Some investigation showed the new HD was still designated D: even though the old original had been removed already. I changed the drive letter to C: and tried again. Again the updates would only download and not install. Also, during this process, all the old updates to the OS seem to have vanished. I?m now pending 87 updates and they will not install on the PC.   LINKS REMOVED

How do I resolve this?

[samuel-l-jackson-banned] 

dwcraig1 said:

It offers a way to tell it to just "go ahead and install it" does it not?
Don't worry
It was not submitted to MS to be certified (and too late now to do so, no more work on XP by MS)
Oh I missed it, I was thinking install, still should be able to download, perhaps try a different browser if the option to continue is not present.

I Think he means install, if you right click on the warning, then anouther dialog box pops up install anyway, then select yes. Firefox is good, and you can homepage it to wirewizard for you tfr/csv files In pc world they call it a (picnic) problem in chair not in computer, lol and adammary:: ive got a concreat drive, a bloke knocked the door this morning and asked if ive ever thought about having it tarmaced, i said no.