Fried new laptop

kinkmangc

Hey Guys,
I may have fried my new laptop while charging and taking a drag at I think around 70 watts. Or at least it happened right when I did take a puff. At the time I did have a loose screw from the negative terminal and the DNA75 was acting strange. Which I thought normally charging is disabled when you hit the fire button. Is that correct? I got a usb meter and only measured .8 amps while charging. Scared to try it again and monitor when I take a puff and damage laptop after I got it repaired. Can't find any info online about the current ratings of my cheap ASUS laptop. 
Thanks for any help

ASUS replaced the motherboard. Thankfully under warranty. The USB ports are all integrated to the MB. Not sure if this was the cause. The laptop now I can actually hear the fan. I can't remember hearing it before getting fried. I was fairly low when it happened. Around 25%. But was jumping all over the place with that loose connection.

Don't recall ever hearing of a DNA frying a computer and I have charged Evolv stuff for at lest 5 years now from computers via USB......  I checked mine again and when I fire the DNA while charging the charging amps drop to 0.002amps and rise again when no longer firing.

So I guess your DNA charges normally now via the computer?

i'm pretty sure the dna 200/250/75/60 will "talk" with the usb port in some way if it senses data lines are present and current limit itself to .5 amps (to prevent a usb brown out). at least that's how it's supposed to work with usb 2.0 when the board is connected to a computer. not sure about later usb versions. i'm not sure how a loose ground in your mod would fry your MB. 

edit....oh ya BTW a couple months ago i found an ASUS laptop in a dumpster at new home construction site i was doing hvac at. it was all wet but i used a hairdryer and brought it back to life. only thing is i can't get past the previous owner's windows 7 password.  

retird said:

Don't recall ever hearing of a DNA frying a computer and I have charged Evolv stuff for at lest 5 years now from computers via USB......  I checked mine again and when I fire the DNA while charging the charging amps drop to 0.002amps and rise again when no longer firing.

So I guess your DNA charges normally now via the computer?

I have been using a wall wart charger mainly. And my old Dell laptop and work HP laptop. All those seem to charge fine. Checked with a USB amp meter and all did similar to what you witnessed. Maybe it was just a coincidence. Just scared to try on the newer laptop

ChunkyButt200 said:

i'm pretty sure the dna 200/250/75/60 will "talk" with the usb port in some way if it senses data lines are present and current limit itself to .5 amps (to prevent a usb brown out). at least that's how it's supposed to work with usb 2.0 when the board is connected to a computer. not sure about later usb versions. i'm not sure how a loose ground in your mod would fry your MB. 

edit....oh ya BTW a couple months ago i found an ASUS laptop in a dumpster at new home construction site i was doing hvac at. it was all wet but i used a hairdryer and brought it back to life. only thing is i can't get past the previous owner's windows 7 password.  

I read that loose negative lead would make the mod act strange. While it was doing this it was throwing ever error message over and over constantly. Was wondering while it was acting strange it didn't disable charging while I vaped. I was looking at the monitor in escribe and dam near hit 15+ amps when my laptop fried. And since the battery was partially dead I was thinking it drew a lot of current though the USB port. 

On this newer laptop has both USB2.0 and 3.0. I don't remember which one I was using. Even has a USB type c that I think I could use if I get a cord.

Lol thats cool about the dumpster find. Asus are not bad laptops. I'm suprised how good and cheap they are. Maybe you can reformat and reinstall windows