Firing button non-functional

Chancej8

For some reason my firing buttons aren't working. Both the on-board and the external one I just wired in. This is the second board with the exact same problem. I can fire the device through EScribe, up and down both work, battery is good, reads my atty's....did I somehow fry only the firing button soldering it together? Anyone have any ideas what my issue could be? I thought I was okay at soldering, but 2 in a row with the exact same problem? I have to be doing something wrong, right? I feel like giving up at this point, but I've already dropped a good chunk of my vape budget on this, and I don't take to quitting very well. I don't want to do another RMA if I can help it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it, I'm at the end of my rope.

Thanks for your input VapingBad. I desoldered the external firing button and tried the on-board button again, still nothing. I'm going to try a different switch at lunch but I don't have high hopes at this point. I haven't been able to find out anything about what could cause this or anyone else having this problem, It's gotta be something I did. Anyone know if there is any troubleshooting I could do? Stick a multimeter on it somewhere? Should I just stick to playing with LEGO? I really want to love this device, but it's making it very difficult.

I just finished a MOD on Sunday with the exact same issue. Everything is fine while connected to escribe using the onscreen sim buttons. Also when it's plugged in the up downs work but no fire button at all. I also tried an external fire button thinking maybe the onboard clicky button was bad but that doesn't work either. I did support ticket at like 6:30am on Monday but still haven't gotten a reply from evolve. I've checked over my solder joints with a joulers loupe and resoldered any that weren't perfect. There is a little tiny black circuite or something right next to where you solder the external fire button on. It's so small I couldn't really see it without the loupe but that looks like it might be broke or burnt? That's the only thing I that looks like it could be a problem but it's so small I'm not even sure. There's several of those tiny black things but this one looks different. Part of it is white I think. Anyways I have a question for you. When you plug it into escribe does it default to locked mode? I always have to click the sim fire button 5 times to unlock. I was just curious if this is normal behavior. Hope I finally hear back from evolv tomorrow so I can get this taken care of. Was planning on having my new MOD on fathers day but that didn't happen and now tomorrow will be 4 days of checking my phone for that email everytime I feel it buzz in my pocket.

Dwcraig sent me a response in a pm suggesting that I may have overheated the on board button when soldering on the 510. I checked it with a multimeter, and it looks like that's what happened. Best bet is to get the RMA. I pulled mine apart and am about to do the same. The bigger wires are kind of a pain to get the right amount of heat on I guess. Sucks that you haven't gotten a reply yet, Evolv has fantastic customer service from what I've seen. I didn't have the lock issue, you're having, and I'm still very new to all this. I know it isn't much but I hope it helps. I feel the pain, I can't wait to get one of these bad boys working. Good luck!

Chancej8 said:

Dwcraig sent me a response in a pm suggesting that I may have overheated the on board button when soldering on the 510. I checked it with a multimeter, and it looks like that's what happened. Best bet is to get the RMA. I pulled mine apart and am about to do the same. The bigger wires are kind of a pain to get the right amount of heat on I guess. Sucks that you haven't gotten a reply yet, Evolv has fantastic customer service from what I've seen. I didn't have the lock issue, you're having, and I'm still very new to all this. I know it isn't much but I hope it helps. I feel the pain, I can't wait to get one of these bad boys working. Good luck!

OK, thanks for the reply. I've done quite a bit of soldering with my other hobby rc trucks boats and heli's but I was having some issues with my iron when I did those first couple power wires. My tip was kind of a mess. I did clean it up good and retinned it after those. I was still being careful not to hold it on for very long but it was longer then I'd have liked. If they burn up that easy I'm tempted to go buy some heat sinks and maybe even to new tip just to avoid and chance of that happening if it is what happened. I still have my doubts. How exactly did you test it? What settings did you use on your multi-miter? I was poking around with mine and was getting some resistance in the legs of it just like the other 2 buttons. If it was the onboard fire button wouldn't the remote button still work or does that somehow run through the button?

Chancej8 said:

When you did your rma's did you remove everything from the board? Including the balance tap? It's a paita to remove 4 lead components so I left that on mine. I hope they normally send boards with those included. Also, how long did it take to get you board back?

• 2 months later...