Lipo battery for a DIY mod with a DNA200 chip

lugh23

Hi, I'm just about to build(try) my first mod using a dna200 chip. I was going to use two 18650 batteries but decided to try and get the full 200 watts by putting in a triple LIPO battery. I saw on a video tutorial that the recommended 900mah only lasts 3 hours so am wondering what is the highest LIPO mah battery I can put in the mod giving it a longer battery life?

a 1300-1500 mah 3S 20C-30C lipo will extend your vape time quite a bit over a 900mah and still be somewhat small enough to fit in your hand and inside a hammond/alpine or whatever your plans are. they start getting longer the higher up you go in mah.

you could go nuts and make a dna 200 with 5000mah 3s lipo but it would be uncomfortably large. very large in fact. think of an actual red colored brick in your hand. lol

Want to make the build as tight as possible so 60cm in width is max like the http://www.modmaker.co.uk/Mod-Making-Supplies/Enclosures/ModMakerBox-WideBoy-Natural-Aluminium would be the biggest I'd build. (PS not spamming this site, just one that a friend recommended as live in Ireland). I'm going to try to use the slimmest wire recommended by Evolv as want a tight ship so to speak. The length isn't as important as the width. If you have any links to the cheapest 1500mah LIPO batteries that would fit in 60cm by 24cm including chip I'd greatly appreciate it. Sorry about all the questions but as in Ireland there's no shops you can go in and eyeball the parts. I have to use the net and forums and buy and then wait a couple of weeks before it arrives and then see if all bits fit!! :(

lugh23 said:

Want to make the build as tight as possible so 60cm in width is max like the http://www.modmaker.co.uk/Mod-Making-Supplies/Enclosures/ModMakerBox-WideBoy-Natural-Aluminium would be the biggest I'd build. (PS not spamming this site, just one that a friend recommended as live in Ireland). I'm going to try to use the slimmest wire recommended by Evolv as want a tight ship so to speak. The length isn't as important as the width. What about this?  https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10024668/5342704-acehe-high-voltage-15-2v-50c-1600mah-lipo-battery ? Sorry about all the questions but as in Ireland there's no shops you can go in and eyeball the parts. I have to use the net and forums and buy and then wait a couple of weeks before it arrives and then see if all bits fit!! :(

no, that battery will not work. it's a 4S (15.2 volt LiHV) (4 cells in series) one too many cells. you need a 3S (11.1 volt) (3 cells in series) lipo if you want the full 200 watts. you need to look for a 11.1v 3S 20-30C lipo.

lugh23 said:

Hi, I'm just about to build(try) my first mod using a dna200 chip. I was going to use two 18650 batteries but decided to try and get the full 200 watts by putting in a triple LIPO battery. I saw on a video tutorial that the recommended 900mah only lasts 3 hours so am wondering what is the highest LIPO mah battery I can put in the mod giving it a longer battery life?

Rule of thumb a lipo is three times moor efficiant than the li-mn's so your 900mah lipol would be moor like 2700mah and you also need to look at what your attys your using, a 900 lipol is good allday powering a single coil mouth lung type atty like a kayfun russian. twin coiling drippers and rtda's like aromatizers, i wouldnt go any lower than a 1300mah lipol, ,, Personaly if i couldnt achieve the full 200 watt like it was designed because of batteries, i would go with a dna 75 in the fat boy box with a 26650 battery. or go to stealth vape co. And get one of his pre cut dna200 enclosures and a 1300 mah triple from hobby king off ebay

I like my hammond 1590a boxes with an equivalent 900mah lipol in, but theyr not everyones cup of tea because they are not true square, the sides are slightly slanted, but i love that because of the way they sit comphy in my hand and back pocket, modmaker sell em or you can copy the dimensions and they do simular boxes to thoes measurments, i use modmaker & stealthvape theyre both very good, im planning on doing a dna75 with the fatboy box ect like i said above, i havnt checked the sizing for a dna200 in it and am on mobile at the moment, but im prety sure theres plenty of room and theyr also some 1000 mah tripple graphine powere paks coming in now.. people are changing over from the lipol..

lugh23 said:

Would the Hcigar VT200 LiPo battery v2 be okay? The Dimensions: 68mm*30mm*20mm look good for building though it's 25e over here so a bit pricey though I guess I could order and have it within 2 days.

Might as well get two for 25 bucks:

https://www.fasttech.com/product/5088900

It's not really 1300mAh though, more like 1000 to 1100.

lugh23 said:

Would the Hcigar VT200 LiPo battery v2 be okay? The Dimensions: 68mm*30mm*20mm look good for building though it's 25e over here so a bit pricey though I guess I could order and have it within 2 days.

still on mobile so cant check any measurments, i cant remember off the top of me head if you need 10 or 15 millimeters of space for mounting the board, you could look at some of the mods in the lets see your 200s section. For insparation and finer details.. ive built some right useful beasts and enjoy them all..

20151018_203741.jpg

20151029_222504.jpg

Another guy suggested this? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11903__Turnigy_nano_tech_1300mah_3S_25_50C_Lipo_Pack.html which would fit perfectly into the casing I am thinking of getting, is it okay? He also sent me a pic of a 1500mah in his mod though the casings height is 22mm and the exact same battery I checked was 28mm so dunno how it fitted. modbuild3.jpg 

Probly a spacer gasket.. and yes i use them or thoes batteries, you know the boards got a 1amp charger and you can allways give it a twenty minit blast or whatever to top up, no disrespect but dont let battery size do your head in, most are using 900 / 1300.. i like the way hes got the 510 nut butted against the corner post to help keep it firm. I prefer mine in the centre and would have put my jsth connector on leads so it would tuck in down by my xt connector giveing better clearence at the top, but were all bonifide builders and the 200 is the best tool to have in a mod.

Ya he mentioned a gasket so must be tween the casing and the door. I wish I could eyeball all the stuff rather than looking at measurements and diagrams I've drawn on a4 pages :( There's a nice casing here inside.. 99mm width 48mm height 22mm that the above battery and dna chip would fit perfectly and on the site it says that battery is okay http://www.stealthvape.co.uk/electronic-cigarette-mod-parts/2xaa-3xaa-14500-18650-battery-boxes/NLS-G3-PLAIN-MILLED-DNA200-2 Going to order tomorrow so trying to get everything measured and okayed.. :)

I get half way through a build and have anouther going on in my head. I wouldnt buy one, too easy to make . Just keep to the rules, ,, connect battery last.. your above link is for the g/box but allready cut, awsome boxes, i paid fifteen quid for mine and had to cut them myself,,, ive glued mine shut, no need to keep fetching the back off once your satisfied its running.

The plan is to use very rare wood which I have but am not going to jump in the deep end so will start with a premade casing just to get a feel for it. Ideally I'd like just to use the middle part of the metal casing cutting off the wall and gluing one piece of this wood as one wall and using the other piece of wood as the lid but think I'll walk before I run :)

• 1 month later...

I highly suggest Maxamps.com. Simply search through all the lipos that you like based off of Mah. Make sure it is a 3S. And check the dimensions to be sure it will fit in whatever enclosure you decide to use. They are also awesome because you can select a connector that you want to come attached to the battery and they make all their batteries fresh to order. No buying batteries off a shelf not knowing how old they are.