DNA250c (Steamcrave Hadron Pro) Charging issue(s)

Hi everyone, thanks for caring enough about my problem to read this :D 

So...I'd noticed that I wasn't getting a charge on my mod. It seemed to not be able to get up past about 25 or so percent. At first I'd assumed that maybe it was a port issue (I charge exclusively with the USB cable) but the connection seems solid on EScribe even now, as I type this. After trying a few things, including a firmware update to  eScribe's USB recovery charging, it ended up going to 0% and so I ordered a new battery, the specs of which are:

Battery Model HV 1800mAh 4S LiPo
Application Aircraft & Comp Crawlers           
Type Silicon Graphene 
Voltage 15.2 nominal
Capacity @14.8V 1700mAh     
Capacity @15.2V 1800mAh
Weight 175g
Connector Type XT60 
Balance Connector 4 Pin XH
Number of Cells 3 Cell
Configuration 3S1P
Dimensions (WxLxH) 33.5x86.5x27.5mm     
Maximum Charge Rate 2C (3.6A)
Burst Current 90C
Watt Hour @11.4V 20.5Wh

The original battery's specs, copied from Element Vape:

Fullymax 4s Li-Po Battery Pack, offering a massive 6400mAh capacity, 14.8V output, and is crafted for the Hadron Pro DNA250C.

Steam Crave Fullymax 4s Li-Po Battery Pack Features:
• Battery Capacity: 6400mAh (4 x 1600mAh)
• Max Discharge Current: 30A
• Voltage: 14.8V
• Max Charge Rate: 23.68wh
• Chemistry: Li-Po

The new battery is listed as a 3-cell battery. When I select 3-cell in EScribe and go to the device monitor, it shows the voltage for three cells, USB power and USB current are 0.000 and USB voltage is 5.something volts. When I switch it over to 4-cell, it shows voltage on a 4th cell, USB power is 2.697w, USB current is .668a and USB voltage is 4.2v. Also, set on 4-cell, the cells are all very stable at 3.73v (voltage is 14.93) where when I had it set to a 3-cell battery they were changing rapidly.

So is it a 4-cell battery, or is EScribe misreading it, or...what could be going on here? I want to know what I'm doing more, but I really don't. I just want the battery to charge so I can puff on my vape, man! Even with the new battery, the charge level seems to be stuck between 25 and 27% and won't go higher.

Are there settings I should adjust when replacing the battery? 

Can someone who actually understands this maybe help guide me to getting this thing right?

Hadron Pro EScribe.png

Edited by ultranothing

When charging stops at 27% what is the USB voltage reading?

You USB power looks really low, do you get the same reading for USB power when plugged into another USB port? Have you tried a USB charger block (wall charger)?

Have you tried other cables?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

Can you post a link for that battery, please.

Here ya go. Jeez, now I see on the battery itself that it's printed right on there, "4-cell". Which is weird because everywhere that sells it is calling it a 3-cell and I was going by their descriptions. 

P.S., we're at 37%! I guess talking to you guys scared it straight lol

Edited by ultranothing

I ended up taking it apart to get to the board so I could do some tweaking/crimping on the USB port. In the process, the solder point on the 510 broke off so I had to use some solder to solder the solder.

The connection now is a lot tighter and seems to be more stable. I guess that the lesson here for future people who find this thread is: Mess with your USB port and ensure that it provides a tighter home for your charger - or just use an external lipo charger and save your fragile port.

38 minutes ago, ultranothing said:

Mess with your USB port and ensure that it provides a tighter home for your charger - or just use an external lipo charger and save your fragile port.

In just under 9 years of using DNA mods with built in batteries I have never needed to tweak/crimp my USB outer casing. The mere thought of using an external charger, removing the power and JST connector just doesn't seem practical to me.

The odd time I had a loose connection, it was at the cable end.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

In just under 9 years of using DNA mods with built in batteries I have never needed to tweak/crimp my USB outer casing. The mere thought of using an external charger, removing the power and JST connector just doesn't seem practical to me.

The odd time I had a loose connection, it was at the cable end.

Well, through my own negligence and many oversights, I've been a bit rough on mine. I can't tell you how many times, for example, either I or one of my kids knocked it **almost** to the ground before the charging cable saved it from crashing down, which you can imagine put a lot of force on the cable/port. And that's just one of virtually endless examples, now that I've taken the time to really look into this thing and honestly recollect its abusive upbringing. This was my fault. The board is fantastic and Steamcrave build is also top notch. There's no doubt my next device will be a 250c, once I finally and inevitably kill this one.

Posted (edited)

Hey again! So now the new weird thing that's going on is that, for the past few days, the mod had been showing that it's 70something percent charged. I began to become suspicious of it this morning because, ya know, batteries don't stay charged forever. I went to fire it up and my watts reading went down to 3w (from 105 where it's set) and it wasn't giving me a puff. Next thing I know, it read 0%. So it went from reading, say, 75% charged to zero in about ten seconds. It seems to be charging fine now, though. 

Edit: It seems to be charging a lot faster than normal. I've had it plugged in for 11 minutes and it's up to almost 20%. Something is whack-a-doodle with the charging, here. Something is........going on....

Edited by ultranothing

Dude, can you post a Device Monitor screenshot. Don't take a puff or do anything. 
I'm looking at your 4 cells, and if they're relatively all the same voltage (batteries have zero clue about any %).

After it's done charging, same thing except screenshot while taking a puff, and I wanna see the puff.
Here I'm looking if one cell is noticeably weaker than the others.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

Dude, can you post a Device Monitor screenshot. Don't take a puff or do anything. 
I'm looking at your 4 cells, and if they're relatively all the same voltage (batteries have zero clue about any %).

After it's done charging, same thing except screenshot while taking a puff, and I wanna see the puff.
Here I'm looking if one cell is noticeably weaker than the others.

Yessir, here they are:

DNA250c Screenshot 1.png

DNA250c Screenshot 2.png

So far everything looks really good. 👍 See how during your puff, they're pretty much all equal in the amount they drop.

While you are using the latest firmware, the US version limits new features for you. The 'INTL' has no limitations.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2024 at 6:01 PM, Wayneo said:

So far everything looks really good. 👍 See how during your puff, they're pretty much all equal in the amount they drop.

While you are using the latest firmware, the US version limits new features for you. The 'INTL' has no limitations.

Hi apologies for the random question, I’m waiting for my hadron pro to arrive.

where is best to charge while charging on the board? I don’t want to plug this thing into the wall not knowing and it fly across my living room in 20 minutes…

1 hour ago, Wayneo said:

I plug mine into the nearest outlet to me. You should take whatever safety precautions you believe necessary.

I believe there are fire retardent charging bags sold but never heard of anyone using them, maybe you already use one for your current batteries. 

Perfect I have a usb charging dock I was thinking of using the slower speed on that ? I thought it’s at least lower that directly to the wall, how low are you letting your battery get before charging I was thinking about 20 percent or are you guys draining to 1 ? Sorry for all the questions I’d rather ask than not know my beast just arrived I’m so excited 

usb charger dock says 2.4a 

IMG_2918.jpeg

IMG_2919.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

2A charging is the Max, limited by the board, no matter what steamcrave says 🤔 and that’s shared by 4 cells, so that’s really only .5A per cell. 

So it would only draw 2A from the charger? 
or are you saying the charger being 2.4A is too much and I shouldn’t charge on that I could look at the output of a xbox and charge on that I’d imagine that’s lower 

17 hours ago, BillW50 said:

It works like this @Lennox. Even if you use a 100A charger, it still will only draw 2A. You can use less than a 2A charger too. It will only draw what it is capable of supplying if less than 2A. It will take longer to charge of course.

I’d just like to let everyone know how helpful you’re advice has been and how thankful I am, you have made things a lot easier to understand I had a defmod but the battery was a solid connection and I wasn’t aware of the differences between lipo and 18650 and how they need to be charged and how they discharge and unfortunately that mod is stuck at 3 percent and won’t accept any charge, I’m thinking of possibly putting my own balance cable and power cable into it maybe in a few months after some more research hopefully that is a possibility because it would cost me too much to send back to the original country for them to repair and pay for postage back to me, 

just another thank you to all who offered their advice 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1