Negative TCR/TFR

Hello and thanks for clicking!

I started dialing in TC settings for my new DNA 100C about a month ago. It was going perfectly until I foolishly bought AVS's ESCC. Mine exhibits a decrease in resistance as its temperature rises.

I was going to fiddle with the curve myself, but EScribe is telling me the "curve must be strictly increasing." I am curious why decreasing curves are not supported, and I am wondering if there is a workaround or if a firmware update addressing this is possible.

Thanks in advance!

None of the standard materials (wire) we use experience a decrease in electrical resistance when their temperature is risen. None at steam-engine either.
Do you have a datasheet for that product showing either its electrical properties or mechanical properties, showing that decreasing TCR?

OR Just open a Help Desk ticket and ask. Link in my signature line.

• Like 1

I reached this conclusion by watching the resistance as I fired in wattage mode; I presumed that the ohms decreasing as the temperature increased indicated a negative TCR.

I do not have an applicable datasheet, and I worry that I may have trouble getting one, but I will contact the manufacturer nonetheless.

If you were referring to a .csv file, however, I will share one demonstrating the ohms lowering, and I will open a ticket in Help Desk Monday morning.

Thanks for the help and have a great weekend!

escc_live_ohms.csv

6 hours ago, Wayneo said:

None of the standard materials (wire) we use experience a decrease in electrical resistance when their temperature is risen. None at steam-engine either.
Do you have a datasheet for that product showing either its electrical properties or mechanical properties, showing that decreasing TCR?

OR Just open a Help Desk ticket and ask. Link in my signature line.

13 minutes ago, sleep deprived said:

Yes, that is correct.

Opening up a ticket is the way to go here. As only a firmware update will correct this.

I looked at that .csv file, and in that 1st second the change was only .001Ω's. After 2 seconds only .005Ω's. And at nearly 11 seconds only .037Ω's, or less than 10% change in resistance. All decreases

Even if that were reversed to say those were increases it's just not enough for the board to control it.(from my understanding)

Let us know their official answer.

• Like 2

The ticket was passed along, and I'm awaiting a second response.

Since you've pointed it out, I am worried the low change in resistance would be problematic even if negative curves were allowed. I am still cautiously hopeful, but worst case scenario the manufacturer (Advanced Vape Supply) sells a mod that achieves TC with different methods. My wallet is feeling very light, however, and that mod is not cheap.