Trying to get the right vape in TC, but end up going back to wattage mode.

Darkstar_

hoping someone can help.

I recently bought a new DNA250C mod and a FreeMax Mesh Pro tank. I am very happy with both, except some small issues with this mod.

The replay idea of the DNA250C appeals to me. Set it and forget it, but I'm finding that I am not getting the vape I want and I spend ages in the settings (getting lost sometimes in escribe) and I can't get it right.

I want a nice warm vape which doesn't burn the coils. I have it set to 75watts (this confuses me as I just want a temperature to set, I have no idea what wattage to put, my other mod just allowed me to change temp). Yet the draws I get from it are weak. I check the last puff and it shows me that it was around 35 watts. Well I need to bump that up then, but I have no idea how.

I've tried changing the boost settings but that seems to do nothing. How can I tweak this so it works best with these coils (ss316 by the way, resistance 0.112).

I'm currently vaping in wattage only mode at 50 watts. Only then do I get a good hit. Even switching off replay and going into SS316 and cranking up the temp to nearly the max the coils claim to take, I still get a cold weak hit.

Am I missing something?

14 hours ago, Darkstar_ said:

I want a nice warm vape which doesn't burn the coils. I have it set to 75watts (this confuses me as I just want a temperature to set, I have no idea what wattage to put, my other mod just allowed me to change temp). Yet the draws I get from it are weak. I check the last puff and it shows me that it was around 35 watts. Well I need to bump that up then, but I have no idea how.

By my understanding, the only reason why you'd be getting 35W instead of the 75W that you've set in replay is because the chip is trying to follow the same temp curve as when you recorded the puff, and it realises that to not exceed the set temp curve, it needs to provide 35W instead of 75W. 

I'm using an RDA so when this happens to me, I just redrip when I notice the vapour production throttling down. Not too sure how you could fix it in a tank. Maybe keep it topped up with juice? Or maybe wait slightly longer between puffs to allow the wicking material enough time to become at least as saturated when you recorded the puff. 

I'm also using the Horizontech Falcon tank with an M3 mesh coil and I just run it in straight wattage mode. Don't really need to fiddle with temp control there (not that I could even if I wanted to, M3 doesn't have a SS coil like Freemax).  I've created a separate profile for the tank and I just switch to it when I'm putting the tank back on, and I get pretty much a consistent vape every single time. Haven't had a dry hit yet. Of course I make sure that the juice level is at the very least enough to be touching the wicking ports on the coil to allow the juice to soak up. 

Hope this helps.

So, its a mesh tank, do you use mesh as coils or do you have wire coils in it ?

And you have ss316 with 0.112 ohms.

Question is, is it mesh or (dual-)coil ? (because you say coils)...

If its mesh then you need a higher wattage, as there is so much cotton in between (I have an Iris Mesh RDA, so I know about that problem).

Not shure what happens when you record replay with 35 Watts and then raise it to 75... could be that replay will ignore the higher wattage because it will re-create the recorded puff with 35 watts ?

Maybe switch it off, then do some puffs (with fresh juiced coils) with the 50 watts you use in the moment and then re-activate replay.

I also found out that replay and TC are not great in working together, as the different goals (keep the temp vs. keep the last puff) are confusing the replay function working properly.

So, try to get a good puff in wattage mode, then activate replay.

And pls post the info about what coil(s) you are using. That's quite important to find a solution.

BTW: Also it can help if you can mention some details about your experience in vaping in general (as you talked about another mod that only uses temp.)

How long do you vape, build coils, etc... so we can get a better picture.

A pro pos picture... if you have one of the coils maybe... 😉

Everything that can help finding a solution... settings etc... screenshot...

Thanks !

Edited by Lanzarotechris
typo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First thing that hits my eye is your temp setting. 312°C is way too high.

As you see with the "normal puff" that temp is around 170°C in the peak, so you can set the temp to 200°.

I prefer 235°, and you should not go higher than 250° as that is the temp when the cotton will start burning.

Second thig is the resistance.

In the normal puff it rises only a little (from 0,125 to 0,144) and then stays at that level. It looks to me like a kanthal coil, not SS.

That could answer the question why TC is not working properly. Kanthal can not do TC as there is (more or less) no resistance change.

That is why you need to use SS for TC because the resistance will change and the computer can calculate the temp from that change in resistance.

So check your coils and make shure you use the right material for the right setting.

If you need info which wattage to use with which resistance I would forward you to steam engine.

You put in your details about the coil and you get a recomended Wattage. Of course you have to know your details like material, thickness, diameter and so on.

From that recomendation you can start and go up or down with your wattage setting if you want it warmer or cooler.