Cannot upload theme, "Out of Space"

s.pwyll

So I finally finished my first color theme.  I wanted it to be as compatible as possible, so I based it on the Evolv default DNA 75 color theme--but when I try to install it to my Paranormal 75c I get a "Failed to Upload Settings" dialog box with an "Out of space" error message.  I checked the size of the theme and it is 129k, which I thought might be the reason at first, but I have no problem installing DJLsbVapes' 'LostVape001' theme which is 157k or Frank's 'Paranormal Blue Theme DNA250C' which is 158k.  Obviously the size is not the issue, so what kind of "space" am I running out of?

Any clues?

It says off-board memory is 25.2% and on-board memory is 98.3%.  So how do I reduce the space being used if file size is irrelevant?  Lowering the size/resolution of the wallpapers had no effect, nor did removing the colorized text or simplifying menus.  And since there are themes with many more screens and much more complicated menus and color schemes I just can't seem to figure out what is using the space...

I have decreased the color depth from 16.1m to 256 and have converted to bmp and to png (at highest compression) and nothing makes any difference at all, either way.  I would think that perhaps it is "reserving" a specific percentage of space per wallpaper, but there is at least one other theme that has three wallpapers but only takes 71.1%...

I think on-board space is used for the layout and fonts and off-board space is used for wallpapers and other images. The on-board (on-chip, really) memory is faster so it would be used for things that are constantly updated.

Are you using a nonstandard font? Try switching back to Built or one of the other fonts at the top.

• Thanks 1

Nope. I only added the wallpapers and colored the text to show up easier on the backgrounds. I kept the default font and layout. Was going to see about further customization after I tested the appearance on the actual device, but haven't had that chance yet.

After @Frank65 's reply I reloaded the pure stock 75c default theme and checked the "space used" after adding each wallpaper individually and it goes up after each one, to the point of 25.2/98.3, with absolutely no other changes to the stock theme.  Adding one wallpaper takes exactly the same amount of space as adding the same wallpaper three times (filling all three slots with the same image). It's definitely the wallpapers taking the space, but one other theme that has three wallpapers takes 99% on-board memory while a different three-image theme only uses 57% (iirc). The differences between the wallpapers in the three themes seems to be complexity and colors, but I am drastically changing both and cannot alter the numbers in my theme ...

Edited by s.pwyll
Grammar and punctuation

The stock Evolv DNA75c theme I was using as a base takes 20% off-board and 50.3% on-board memory for the 75c board but DJLsbVapesTheme004 uses 50.9% off-board and 29.5% on-board memory.  When I add my wallpapers to DJLsb's theme the space check doesn't give me percentages at all, it simply says "out pf space."  What is the major difference?  DJLsb's theme as a lot more screens, and a lot more actions.  So I went back to my original customized version and deleted 3 screens that I'll never use.  It only lowered the off-board memory by 4.7% and the on-board memory by 0.8%, but now the theme loads perfectly fin with no issues...

Not exactly a solution as to why, but a resolution for at least some "Out of Space" installation issues...

Are you using EScribe Suite SP17? It looks like the most recent EScribe Suite changed the order in which things were being saved, and when it's near 100% usage, this affected what would fit.

The next version will correct this. In the mean time, try reverting back to SP15.1 and uploading the theme:

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupEScribe2_SP15_1_INT_ServicePack.exe

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupEScribe2_SP15_1_US_ServicePack.exe

• Thanks 1

I am using the International version of 15.1.  I did not know there was a newer version; I may try to download the newer one and see how that affects things.  I was able to simplify it enough to load, and it still has everything I use regularly, though that's about it.  I will rebuild it to the original to see about loading it on a 250c--and I will definitely look forward to the next service pack  🙂