SS430 for Temp

GrumpyJoe

I recently got some Geek Vape SS430 (26ga & 24ga) and I am trying to get it working properly in temp.  I am using a single basic 6 wrap spaced coil, 3mm ID in a Merlin RTA.  The Steam Engine csv that I downloaded seems to need a very high temp to put out decent vapor and the stock SS430 csv from the SD75C seems to be really hot and thus requires a very low temp to work anywhere close to ok.  I am attaching the two csv files for reference but I am looking for input from users who may have their SS430 working well in temp.

Thanks all :)

SS430.csv

SS430-SteamEngine.csv

I had a similar problem with Crazy Wire SS430 and went to unkamen, which is also nickel free, but is only available in 28 gauge.  I got the Crazy Wire working acceptably using a TCR of around .002 if I remember correctly.  I'm now using the Crazy Wire as baling wire.  The unkamen works very well with the curve from Steam Engine, at least for me.  I usually twist two pieces to wind a coil, but to be honest, it really isn't necessary for me anyway.

Edited by awsum140
  • Like 1

I  can vouch for that SS430 from Unkamen also. IIRC it was $10 for 100 feet. Even after a quick drill spin before twisting two pieces it was still quite springy and would deform easily. I ended up making 2x28 with 40g fused claptons. Great tiny coils that last a long time. Curve from Steam-engine. 

The 420F from my SS430, SS316, and Ti01 coils all feel to be the same heat to my lungs.

Edited by Wayneo
  • Like 1

Just thought I would post a follow up in case anyone was having the same issue.  A friend who is quite knowledgeable with temp and all things Evolve played with the GeekVape (GV) SS430 wire for me and we found that a manual TCR of 0.00185 works well for this wire on the evolve chipset; he tweaked the TCR until it started to brown/burn dry cotton at 430-450 degree range.  We only tested the GV SS430 24ga, but I assume the same manual TCR would work also for the GV 26ga SS430.  The recommended manual TCR of 0.00138 for generic SS430 requires a very high temp (570+ degrees F) to produce acceptable vapor with the GV SS430.

Grumpy

Edited by GrumpyJoe

Yo Grumpy, SS is an alloy so that TCR value is close/correct for your current spool of wire.

You ought to do that burn or water test or check it with a thermoprobe with every new spool you purchase. There is no specific recipe for any grade, more like minimums and maximums.