How to prevent DNA from dying after disconnecting from USB

Lowbytes

Hi 

First of all - great Boards - BUT it seems that there is some kind of problem! Not only for me - it happened that the board is dying after disconnecting from USB (computer) or USB Charger

Several user reporting that board does not boot up anymore after charging / updating via USB - first my thoughts where bad USB Chargers are going to kill something - but now (my second board got "killed") i´m having this problem for the second time.

Everything was fine until i disconnected my mod from USB - after disconnecting board is not booting anymore - while pressing and holding fire Button i see Evolv - then Check Battery - both cells (2 Cell configuration) are fully loaded - reconnected to escribe cell 1 is reported to have 0 Volt ! All of the wiring is correct - no shorting - no broken wire or bad soldering - same happened to my wismec DNA200 some month ago (board was replaced by evolv service) 

To make sure - i never use charging via USB - it happens on 2 different computers (Surface Pro3 - MAC Mini) so on this side nothing possible to change (USB Ports are integrated) - i´m sure that board will not boot because there is the problem with the cell voltage measured via the balancer chip?! Any suggestion how to find out why this happens? In fact it seems that i´m not alone with this problem (because i found some similar postings also reporting the same problem) Maybe only a resistor /capacity or diod dying? Already opened Ticket on the Help desk - awaiting answer - but maybe i can fix it by my self?

Regards

Mikel

I'm on the same boat. Brand new Hcigar VT250S in 2 cell config. Cell 1 reads 0V, cell 2 reads 5.02V. Removing both cells, cell 2 still reads 2.26V. I've got 4 puffs on this device. I put 2 charged batteries in, the battery indicator shows empty batteries, so I plug my 1.5A USB charger in and after unplugging, the device won't come on again. Holding the fire buttun for long enough will show both initial screens and then "CHECK BATTERY"

Edited by Toaster79

The easiest way to kill a dna is to remove 1 battery while its hooked up to a usb port. Of course, you should not do it at any circumstances. But lets say you have a device charging, and you accidentally trip it. One of the batteries looses connection and your board is fried.

Edited by dywersant
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 8:21 AM, Lowbytes said:

Hi 

First of all - great Boards - BUT it seems that there is some kind of problem! Not only for me - it happened that the board is dying after disconnecting from USB (computer) or USB Charger

Several user reporting that board does not boot up anymore after charging / updating via USB - first my thoughts where bad USB Chargers are going to kill something - but now (my second board got "killed") i´m having this problem for the second time.

Everything was fine until i disconnected my mod from USB - after disconnecting board is not booting anymore - while pressing and holding fire Button i see Evolv - then Check Battery - both cells (2 Cell configuration) are fully loaded - reconnected to escribe cell 1 is reported to have 0 Volt ! All of the wiring is correct - no shorting - no broken wire or bad soldering - same happened to my wismec DNA200 some month ago (board was replaced by evolv service) 

To make sure - i never use charging via USB - it happens on 2 different computers (Surface Pro3 - MAC Mini) so on this side nothing possible to change (USB Ports are integrated) - i´m sure that board will not boot because there is the problem with the cell voltage measured via the balancer chip?! Any suggestion how to find out why this happens? In fact it seems that i´m not alone with this problem (because i found some similar postings also reporting the same problem) Maybe only a resistor /capacity or diod dying? Already opened Ticket on the Help desk - awaiting answer - but maybe i can fix it by my self?

Regards

Mikel

please post if you get a fix for this i tried to save my config then when I disconnected I have the same thing....thanks

• Like 1

Got answer from Helpdesk - They will repair the board for me - so i guess that you´ll possibly get the same answer! Maybe they do not exactly know why this happens - but there must be a reason for it ......The device is designed to use the USB Port so things like this should not happen!

******,UPDATE*********

Date: 2017-08-24 15:13:12
Name: Nick Coutris
Printer friendly version

Hi Fred LaCroix,

Dual 18650 mods will display this behavior if they are set to 3-cell operation and not 2-cell operation on the Mod tab in EScribe.

You may need to select Options > User Interface > Manufacturer from the top dropdowns in order to see and change this setting.

Please check this setting and let us know if this is the issue. An image of this setting for reference is available at the following url: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxnf8OwrMZ7ObXBFaDF5QjF0bEE/view?usp=sharing

Thanks,
Nick Coutris
Evolv, Inc

I THEN HAD TO TWEAK THE BATTERIES FROM 3 CELL TO 2 CELL AND RERUN A COUPLE TEST IN MANUFACTURE MODE AND I AM VAPING AWAY 😎

9 minutes ago, Lowbytes said:

PUSH

Just want to push this up - more and more people reporting "dead" boards after disconnecting from USB (German community) 

Any ideas about why this happens or how to prevent it????

Is this being reported as happening on mostly 2 cell mods?

@dwcraig1 

No - 3Cell mods - 2Cell mods - DNA200 and DNA250 boards.......... 

For experiments i´m going to disable USB charging (diagnosis) before closing escribe and disconnecting device - but i don not have any ideas if that makes any difference 

Maybe we first have to disconnect the typeA USB Plug instead of disconnecting the mirco usb b first..........

• Like 1

I had similar problems with my drone- it turned out that while updating escibe I also updated the wrong firmware-ie I ended up with the config for a Triade on my drone- so battery 3 would read as 0V - the drone only has two batteries. Go to the manufactures website- download the firmware for your Mod- then unzip to your desktop. Open escibe - then open the firmware from your desktop from the file menu in escibe- upload to your mod. This worked for me.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Geoff:

I had similar problems with my drone- it turned out that while updating escibe I also updated the wrong firmware-ie I ended up with the config for a Triade on my drone- so battery 3 would read as 0V - the drone only has two batteries. Go to the manufactures website- download the firmware for your Mod- then unzip to your desktop. Open escibe - then open the firmware from your desktop from the file menu in escibe- upload to your mod. This worked for me.

Wrong Firmware? There is no wrong one - it´s easy to select 2 or 3 cell option in Escribe (if escribe is setup correct) but never the less - to reflash the firmware is a good idea anyway ....... Escribe is not updating the firmware of a DNA Board by itself - it notice that there is a new service pack or you have to do select a firmware manually - i´m pretty sure that it is not possible to flash a DNA250 firmware to a DNA200 board (i´m sure that evolv added some check ups to prevent  flashing a wrong file)

But we are talking about "dead" Boards without flashing an update - failed right after disconnecting the USB cable!

• Like 2

Hi LowBytes

I am sorry I misunderstood the nature of the problem. I am truly surprised this problems exists. I thought that the DNA 250's and 200's were very solid boards- perhaps this may not be the case. I have not had a problem with mine so far- though I have only had the Drone for a couple weeks- hopefully I won't run into problems in the future.

Regards

Geoff

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Geoff:

Hi LowBytes

I am sorry I misunderstood the nature of the problem. I am truly surprised this problems exists. I thought that the DNA 250's and 200's were very solid boards- perhaps this may not be the case. I have not had a problem with mine so far- though I have only had the Drone for a couple weeks- hopefully I won't run into problems in the future.

Regards

Geoff

The DNA boards are solid! They are sold several thousand times - but sometimes some of them failed - thats no big problem because evolv supports us with perfect customer service! But for me as a technician and amateur radio operator i´ll always want to find out the reasons for things going wrong ;-) 

• Like 1

Mine died from plugging it in. Plugged in the USB, picked up mod 5 minutes later to take a pull and get check battery message. I set my laptop to hibernate when I left work last night and device monitor was still open when I plugged it in tonight. Don't know if that had anything to do with it but I doubt it did. This makes 2 dna200 boards and 1 dna250 boards that are dead for me. I've had this mod 3 days.

Edited by wykyd