Need help + explanation

checkvec

alright so I don't know a lot about these things with setting them up with scratch so I have a few questions. What do I do casewise (no 3d printer and I dislike plastic) where do I get button switches and what proper battery do I get. How do I install everything with making sure things won't get hot (vent holes, insulation) etc. I feel like a lot of the readers here are inexperienced and need help along with me, so I think that's why this thread should be made. Thanks everyone.

For cases look at Hammond 1590G and for CNC versions of it on Ebay, it is a good size to start off with.  I mounted my board by tapping M1.6 holes in the case, made spacers from some old copper micro-bore pipe I had that was 3.1 mm OD and M1.6 x 10 mm screws. I cut the spacers a little lone then ground then to the exact size with a fibre disc on a dremel, you can add washers or shorten the screws a little to prevent them poking out. This method of mounting will allow any heat, which is not that much anyway to dissipate to the case nicely.  I did drill 5 2 mm vent holes in the bottom of the case, but it would also vent out of the USB & screen holes so not everybody does it.  I used VT30 connectors for the battery and cut down 5 mm shelf pins for the buttons, 18 AWG silicon wire for the battery and 14 AWG for the output wiring and a Varitube 510 with the spring stretched to provide a bit more pressure.  I will add a couple of pics or my one for you to better see what I mean, it is in a Hammond 1590A case, but it is a tight fit and I wouldn't advise trying it for your first build.

[20150717_042833_Copy]  [20150719_003721_Copy] 

I used a nono tech 950 mAh battery, but in a 1590G box you will have more options, good luck with your build.

Hey VapingBad, How are you finding the Varitube 510 Connector, they are the best in my opinion of "off the shelf" connectors available... Just wondering if you've givin it some hard use at high wattage/voltage end of the boards abilities?? Anyone out there destroy one yet?? Best, Wick Mods

No I am vaping at around 40 W ATM, but had the preheat up to 200 W, but with genesis a 100 W is enough.   The VT is working well the lowest resistance I have used so far is 0.06 ohm and the temp sensing is still very sensitive. I stretched the spring to make it firmer, and had to open the hole for the positive wire a little to take the 12 AWG with the insulation.  You need to tin the positive pin well and use fluw in it to avoid to much solder going alone the wire and making it stiff as the battery is so close.  I have ordered a Velocity to see what extreme high power is like with Nickel.

Wick said:

Hey VapingBad, How are you finding the Varitube 510 Connector, they are the best in my opinion of "off the shelf" connectors available... Just wondering if you've givin it some hard use at high wattage/voltage end of the boards abilities?? Anyone out there destroy one yet?? Best, Wick Mods

I'm using the Varitube 510 connector in a Hammond box, and I'm running a Twisted Messes RDA with dual claptons at .16 ohms. I've run it about a week steady at 120-140 watts, and a good bit more time in the 80 to 100 watt range.

It's handled the heat/power fine so far. I know this isn't any kind of long term result like if I tested it for several months, but I wanted to comment in case it is helpful to you.