Atomizer Analyzer - override ohms

vaporlips

A quarter turn, eh? Yikes.  Yes, I'll play around more.  If I can find the issue with these hot vapes, I'd be a happy camper.  I saw the newly designed 510- it's interesting.  BTW- is it robust?  Or could it be broken?  My atty doesn't sit down flush to the edges (both subtank mini and RDA but the mini is better)- I don't want to break it! :)  [I am tightening it pretty tight right now though- knowing the earlier problems with bad connectivities were part of the refinement problem for everyone on the DNA40.]

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll try the RDA refinement as suggested, and also playing in the atomizer analyzer much more!

Well- I realize these things are often made with materials that have their own TCR as well as who knows what types of internal connections- if they're secure or not.. So, it certainly could be.  I will say the build appeared stable in Atomizer Analyzer to me, but I never screwed it in and out of the 510.  Not a bad idea at all.. and I also didn't vape on it while watching the resistance etc.  And the recording of the data for refinement is a good idea. :)  With the addition of the carbon deposit, I would expect some resistance to possible go down, not up... which is what was confusing me about the more dirty coils going from 0.08-0.13+.  I'll do some playing!  Thanks, James!

Hmm.
That seems like a very large resistance change for a dirty coil... I wouldn't think it should vary that much. The Nautilus Mini I test with does not vary much.
Atomizer Analyzer won't update resistance while firing, though Device Monitor will.

Ok- good info all around, James.  So, on the display on the device, only "cold ohms" will be shown for a TC Ni200 coil.  I assume if there are changes (in unlocked mode) that this will be a change to the cold ohms due to refinement.  Now, in ohms locked mode, there shouldn't be a change, right?  I'll have to play with ohms locked mode more.  Thanks for your help!

That's correct, for TC coils the screen will show the cold Ohms. That's the room temperature (70F) value, and corresponds to what someone would measure with a meter -- after all, nobody's measuring while the coil's hot. It's important because the temperature measurement is based off of that. For instance Nickel at 410F has a live Ohms about twice its room temperature value. As it cools you can watch this with Atomizer Analyzer's Raw Ohms. The analyzer also shows you Cold Ohms (same as on the DNA's screen), it's just in smaller text.

Logging refinement, it ought not to bounce around significantly. But if it does you can see it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking regarding the temp.  Interestingly, I was getting "?" for cold ohms for my atty frequently.  I'm wondering if this may be related to the problems I experienced.  That was true when I was checking it under ohm-lock.  Not sure if that matters- I'll pay attention to it in the next few days here.

I wondered that also re: the dual coils.  I'm fairly sure at this time that it wasn't happening.  I checked it multiple times when this was going on- things were tight.  Also quite true of last night's vaping with unlocked ohms.. then the harsher hits in the morning after refinement.  I checked multiple times and the change in ohms didn't appear to be due to any coil issues... I also didn't remove the atty at all from last night to this morning's hot vapes.  (until I gave up on the atty and moved to my subtank)  Subtank is playing nice tonight- I may leave it on overnight to see if during charging anything changes.

Thanks, James!

Hi everyone!  I wanted to update you a bit on what I was experiencing here.  I suspect that my problem is in my dripper.  I've been using the Subtank Mini at 80+ watts for the past few days and everything has been going well (although I missed the flavor and punch my RDA had).  I just replaced my RDA on this morning, and cold the RDA read 0.7 ohms, and after about a half hour of mild vaping, it appeared the RDA was retaining a lot of heat (even with the cooling fins on top) and the resistance in TC mode moved up to 0.9 (over just a half hour) - my subtank mini  was stable at 0.15-0.16 for days of vaping.  The RDA right now is almost too hot to touch at the moment ,and it appears to be vaping quite hot.  So, I'm suspicious that at least my problems are related to my RDA right now.  I have a CiGreen Arrows RDA built with two Ni200 coils with a combined resistance reading on the DNA of about 0.07-008 when cold.

I think I've side-tracked this from Vaporlip's original error report.  I'm going to try and take more of a back seat here and start my own thread if I want to discuss this issue further.  If anyone can comment on Vaporlips (and the same experience with me) in locked-ohm mode, I'd love to hear more.  I think my RDA was causing my temp problems even in TC mode... 

But, I'm wondering if it's related to the Locked-Ohms problem both of us have experienced.

By default, if it sees more than a 25% difference between the resistance at which you locked the atomizer and what it is reading now, it will assume that there is a new coil and lock to the new ohms. 

We do this because otherwise, if you had something with a .5 ohm cold resistance locked, and screw on a .1 ohm without unlocking it would try to preheat (possibly at 200W) to something like 1 ohm. Which would be several thousand degrees. Suboptimal. 

However, if you have an atomizer that is making terrible contact or shifts around significantly, you can make it consider a wider range. The setting is in Mod, under Electrical, Ohm Lock Range. 

Try setting that to somewhat wider, maybe 40% for your particularly shifty RDA

Allen,

It's all good if you're researching and finding other issues.  Don't feel like you are taking over by any means.  All I wanted to do was point out a possible bug (the instant temp limit thing as seen in the video).  Get that out there and known, and allow Evolv to do their thing.   

By all means, if you feel like what you're doing is related, then keep it here, or in another thread, or anywhere at all.  It's all good with me.  :)

Thanks, Vaporlips!  And thanks for bringing that bug up!  I'm learning quite a bit here, and appreciate all the hard work that Evolv is doing with this new board!  James- that's super responsive and great turn-around on the bug fix!  My hat's off to Evolv for their excellent customer involvement here!  Thank you for the bug fixes!

I'm going to continue to play around with my atomizer- see if it's funky- the Subtank mini has been rock-solid.

Thanks!!
-A