Coil Safety - DNA200 Specifically!

josh

So a 0.05 ohm build (for Ni200 TC) at 125w would have 50amp draw, the 0.05 ohm build at 35w would have a 25amp draw...

Am I right in saying that the DNA200 has an onboard 25amp fuse which could blow if you go over it?

Also what happens if you go over the amp limit on a 3s lipo?

As my math suggests bad news I havn't been brave enough to try it but I know people who have but would like to see what Evolv say about the fuse and everyone else about the lipo?

Thanks in advanced,

That would be absolutely true IF the DNA 200 were a mech mod but it isn't.  The DNA 200 is a converter which steps down voltage and steps up current and can output the needed 50 amps while only requiring a maximum of 23 amps from the battery to do it.  Well within the safe range of most 3s Lipo's.

As with all regulated devices you need to think in Watts each side of the converter and allow for electrical efficiency.  The board is 97% efficient so when it provides 200W to the coil it needs 207W from the battery, the amps will be highest when the battery is lowest (9V) so the current needed from the battery at 9V to supply 207W is 207W/9V = 23A (P/V).   It doesn't matter what the coil ohms.