Battery level not going to 100 after a charge, escribe shows 4.2 volts... more info... weird?

Zenataos

VS DNA 200

My gauges show battery %... first time I set it (in eScribe) as 100% (on a full charge), fast forward a day or two and a few charge cycles, first cycle will go to like 94% on the meter but show 4.2volts in escribe and balance cycle has completed, 2nd cycle will show like 88% and 4.2volts, 3rd cycle 75% and 4.2 volts... 

this can be fixed by loading escribe and selecting a different screen setting (don't show the %) then redo the % ... and it shows as 100% at 4.2 volts... 

Haven't noticed any decrease in battery life between the charges... is this just an escribe bug? Or is this just me??

Zen

I've been having the same problem with my VS200 for the last few weeks. Only charges to 96-98% before the charging indicators turn off and I've watched the USB current sit at 0.00A for up to 30 minutes before unplugging it. However, if I fire the device it starts charging again and continues to 100% at .3-.6A like normal.

I'm curious why the factory setting is 10.22mWh for a 900mAh lipo. Shouldn't it be 9.99mWh? That would explain why its only balancing up to around 97% but not why it continues to charge after firing.

I manually changed the 10.22 to 9.99 and now it will charge to 100% no problems (when I load escribe it hits 100% at 4.17 volts and it WILL continue charging on it's own at full rate to 4.2 volts but just stays at 100%... other than that haven't noticed anything funny.

If escribe shows 4.17v when your device is showing 100% wouldn't that mean setting it to 9.99 also makes the battery charge % inaccurate?

I just charged mine from 89-100% (set at 10.22mwh) and escribe showed two cells at 4.21 volts... When it stopped charging at 98% earlier all three were at 4.20v

moneymike said:

If escribe shows 4.17v when your device is showing 100% wouldn't that mean setting it to 9.99 also makes the battery charge % inaccurate?

I just charged mine from 89-100% (set at 10.22mwh) and escribe showed two cells at 4.21 volts... When it stopped charging at 98% earlier all three were at 4.20v

I'm not sure I'd want the cells showing 4.21 volts... AFAIK that's slightly overcharged and will shorten the battery life. 4.2 volts / cell is full capacity. 

I don't believe getting to 4.21 is going to hurt anything that bad but still... don't like it personally.

Zenataos said:

It still charges to 4.20 volts, the meter just clicks from 99% to 100% at 4.17 volts and it continues to charge at 2 amps until 4.20 volts then the amps slow down / balance / stop.

That's what I meant, if the device thinks its at 100% when the cells are reading 4.17v then maybe 10.22mwh is more accurate for whatever reason. Although I don't think it should charge at 2A all the way to 4.2v, I've never monitored it in escribe but the balancing usually kicks in around 95% for me when it charges all the way.

Zenataos said:

I'm not sure I'd want the cells showing 4.21 volts... AFAIK that's slightly overcharged and will shorten the battery life. 4.2 volts / cell is full capacity. 

I don't believe getting to 4.21 is going to hurt anything that bad but still... don't like it personally.

I don't like it either, this is the first time I've checked at 100% straight off the charger. Now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my 2a Samsung S5 charger or the USB cable I'm using.

going to give it a few cycles at the 9.99 watt hour setting (the graph still shows 10.224 watt hour for some reason) as it seems to have stopped the short charging meter (all times charged 94 / 88 /76 etc were all what read on the device after charging overnight at the 10.22 wa setting) so far 2 cycles at 9.99 watt hours and charged to 100% both times

moneymike said:

I don't like it either, this is the first time I've checked at 100% straight off the charger. Now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my 2a Samsung S5 charger or the USB cable I'm using.

Should be nothing wrong with the charger / cable, as long as you can get it to charge at 2amps your cables etc are fine. I think maybe the 4.21 is part of the battery settings @ 10.22 watt hours although I never checked the voltage at that setting for mine.

The DNA chip and built in balance charger shouldn't overcharge the batteries.

If it fails to get to 100%, the watt hour setting may be off or overstated.  The charging cuts off at 4.2 or 4.1 depending on your setting related to max puffs or max recharge.  If you are reading 4.21, it may be during the balance portion where the pack is charged at a low rate and the cells that are topped off are drained to keep them from over charging while the low cell(s) are topped off to 4.2 or 4.1.  To my knowledge the watt hour setting is batter meter related and in no way charge system related.