Feature Request - change profiles to material only settings

this might be a little more involved than a simple feature request and might boarder more along the lines of a rework but i believe it is needed nevertheless. the current implementation of profiles is needlessly limited. depending on juice, coil material, coil design, deck/tank you are currently vaping you might want to change up your power and/or temperature on the go (especially if you are dripping and change flavors often). why are we setting final power and temperature in profiles at all? the profiles would be better used just as a means to store material data (for temp), preheat and punch settings. with that change there would be little need to have different profiles set for stainless steel wire with different power and temperate settings but the exact same material characteristics. 

ideally the device UI would be changed so that you can first choose the material profile you want to use (with an option to show the profile number at all times on the display) and then you would be free to set power and temperature as you see fit. in addition, the changes suggested in the link thread below would be perfectly suited to be added as well. 

https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66948-topic/?do=findComment&comment=902268

Personally I like the fact that power and temp can be set per profile so you can configure profiles for a specific atomizer. You can use the profiles in the manner you suggest quite easily without any firmware changes.

Removing these settings would make the system less flexible, why would you want to do that?

I do agree, and it's my biggest issue with the DNA, in TC mode you should be able to directly adjust your temp with power adjust behind the lock and visa-versa when in Power mode.

you do have a point which i didnt consider originally. i did just think that a best of both worlds solution would be to keep the profiles are they are now. so in them you can set an initial power and temperature for the profile. however, you are then able to deviate from that on the device. to borrow from someone else's idea in another topic you could:
- store all the information in the profile as it is today with an initial power and temperature chosen
- change to the profile you want. mod automatically changes to the initial power and temp setting as per profile
- change temperature as needed  using +/- while unlocked
- change power as needed using [power] and +/- while unlocked
- if you want to revert back to the initial power and temp just go back into the profile selector and select the profile again (or a different one)

any changes you make on the device to modify the power and temp of the profile are temporary and in no way saved. 

Also Evolv have always strived to make their mods as simple as possible to operate and profiles are a good way to extend that while keeping the devices clutter free.  I would love to be able to separate pre-heat and materials profile, but that will probably be too much for the casual vaper and I can work with the current implementation very happily.  We all have our way of doing things, but these have to work for everyone making this whole area a big challenge. I think they did a great job, we all want more now the DNA200 has broadened our horizons and I feel that since there are so many vapers that haven't yet migrated to temp limiting simplicity & stability are very important.

In my opinion nothing would be simpler than setting a material for the coil and then power and temperature. It's what other mids are doing. Take the evic vt or vtc mini for example. You choose power, nickel, or titanium mode. You then choose power and lastly your temperature. Nothing can be simpler than that. On the 200 you would just set the material profile just as you did on the evic followed by the rest. At this point that procedure is very common and a lot of people would be used to it from lower power mods. If you want to make the chip as easy as possible to use you need to assume that people do not use the software at all. In this situation the 200 is limited to just nickel and power mode. There are many other mods which support titanium and stainless right out of the box. It would be much more attractive for potential buyers to have these options available on the device itslef. This would also be solved with a switch to profiles being material only. The mod manufacturers could load on additional material profiles in the existing 8 spaces so that vapers who do not want to use the software are ready to go. Of course all of this is still able to be customized on your computer just as it is now.

Margucci said:

In my opinion nothing would be simpler than setting a material for the coil and then power and temperature. It's what other mids are doing. Take the evic vt or vtc mini for example. You choose power, nickel, or titanium mode. You then choose power and lastly your temperature. Nothing can be simpler than that. On the 200 you would just set the material profile just as you did on the evic followed by the rest. At this point that procedure is very common and a lot of people would be used to it from lower power mods. If you want to make the chip as easy as possible to use you need to assume that people do not use the software at all. In this situation the 200 is limited to just nickel and power mode. There are many other mods which support titanium and stainless right out of the box. It would be much more attractive for potential buyers to have these options available on the device itslef. This would also be solved with a switch to profiles being material only. The mod manufacturers could load on additional material profiles in the existing 8 spaces so that vapers who do not want to use the software are ready to go. Of course all of this is still able to be customized on your computer just as it is now.

Maybe ask Evolv to ship DNA's with 3 profiles already configured.. Kanthal (Power), Ni200 and Ti. Then at least the user who doesn't want the complexity of having to use escribe will be able to use TC straight out the box with the material of their choice. 

I think it's not feasible to do Stainless profiles due to the variations in material being sold.

lexalove said:

Maybe ask Evolv to ship DNA's with 3 profiles already configured.. Kanthal (Power), Ni200 and Ti. Then at least the user who doesn't want the complexity of having to use escribe will be able to use TC straight out the box with the material of their choice. 

I think it's not feasible to do Stainless profiles due to the variations in material being sold.

To be honest I think it is down to the mod makers to do that, Evolv have made a fantastic tool, how much more dificult would it be for hcigar/vaporshark and the rest to spend a little bit of time putting the correct battery and case settings, mod resistance. and while they were at it set up some profiles for NI, TI, Kanthal, Nichrome, SS 317, 316, 304.
so people can use the device with the coil of their choice immediately on purchase from wgerever without going into escribe!  
that must be a selling point surely as no one does it yet. and they would only have to do it once! then they could upload the settings to each new device.

if any suppliers would like to pay me commision on his idea, please feel free to PM me!

I think it's basically because there are to many variables with titanium and stainless.......u can't really just set up one curve for each of them because there's different types and grades of titanium and especially stainless.....Evolv seem to be very keen on accuracy and if they set just one curve for each of the 2 u could really never be accurate As u can see reading on these forums people are having a hard time getting an accurate curve for these especially stainless...... But this is just my opinion

stainless TC is sketchy and difficult to achieve. titanium not so much. the majority of mods which support TC at this point also control Ti as well (and they do so reasonably). i wouldnt argue with anyone who wants to say that SS shouldnt be included because of the variance we are seeing. as an owner of a xcube 2 i know how poorly that works at stock settings. to get even a reasonable vape you need to play with the coefficient quite a bit. and even if you do find one which works reasonably well at a certain temperature, if you change it you need to start your experimentation all over again. 

that being said i would still like to see the option for the profiles to be independent of the power (excluding preheat) and temperature settings which it currently contains. this paired with the ability to easily change the wattage, and especially temperature through the device would make the DNA200 even better in my books.