Sparks across 510 connection

Andymilneruk

Earlier today my replacement DNA 200 board blew its fuse.  No obvious reason it has been operating as expected for about 1 month after the previous board quit.

Since replacing the fuse I have been getting sparks across the 510 connector, I noticed this originally when I was testing the spring return center pin.

My question is has the fuse blowing incident caused another issue ion the board?  My lost vape efusion doesn't behave like this so I guess its RMA number 2.

FYI it is a 3d printed enclosure and all solder joints have been checked reflowed and heat shrink wrapped after my last RMA experience.

Andymilneruk said:

I should have said it has been working fine since the fuse replacement, I just will not be using it until I get to the bottom of the sparking situation.  It seems to be constantly putting a voltage to the 510 even when the board is sleeping.

It will send current through the 510 as part of the resistance refinement process. Possibly maybe this is what you're seeing.

Andymilneruk said:

Further to this my Lost Vape Efusion has now blown its fuse.......

What is going on!

0.1 ohm TI dual coils in Billow V2.  Solid connection working perfectly then blows out of the blue!!!!

Issues!

I think that both failed boards should both go back to evolv for a failure analysis, perhaps along with the USB power block associated with them. I know I've seen more than one person with multiple failed boards and that makes me wonder about a common denominator -- like for example a USB power source with some characteristic that destroys boards. If that were the case, unless the USB power block is doing something outrageous (always a possibility), maybe there's a way to make the board more tolerant of funky power supply issues. Just one thought. Coincidence and "bad luck" are always possibilities. I see that evolv is always working to improve the product so I'm guessing they'd want to see the boards to try to figure out what may have gone wrong with both of them.

Potentially that could be the case, all the boards have been charged using the same 2A wall wart at some point or other.

The first blew initially in normal use waking from off.
It then fried the board when used whilst charging.
The second again in normal use waking from off.
Fuse replaced started sparking across the 510.
The efusion blew waking from off, not changing that fuse its off for RMA as we speak.

From two working DNA 200s to none in a few days

Awesome!

Back to the old faithful Sigelei 100w no fuses, no stress, just no TC or USB charging.

Maybe those having repeat problems should consider a mains surge protector extension lead (with ground protection) sold for computers, many USB charge devices advise against charging from a PC as the USB ground is normally connected to mains ground and can carry large voltage spikes, it is not impossible that some USB supplies could suffer the same problem.

the other option is that there is a normal voltage going between the +ve and -ve of the 510 for the refinement constantly until it goes into sleep mode.

I originally thought atomiser analyser was only pulsed to measure the coils resistance when you turned atomiser analyser on.

but maybe the refinement voltage is on all the time, and the analyser just allows the reading of it