On 2nd board, this time pad lifted free

alee132

My first board stopped working. Got new one but now pad is off board. Can I epoxy it back in or is it a gonner? The pad is still soldered to the wire. I have hot glue/epoxy but I don't want to do anything that will less up chances of getting it replaced by evolv. I really just don't want to pull the chip out and deal with rma and it's gonna be a pain to get chip out of box for 2nd time. I really would rather avoid doing so but if not possible on. I just don't know if it will work if I put it back on. I have seen it done when it has only been partially off but this is all the way off and right next to fuse as well so it worries me a little.

20151116_073634.jpg

20151116_073814.jpg

20151116_073555.jpg

I don't know where you got that from but I didn't rip anything off. I know how to solder but that's not the issue. Maybe because the pictures arent great or you misunderstand but the actual solder pad Isn't attached to the board but it's actually fallen off of the board itself. The wire still has the actual solder pad soldered to it. There is no solder pad to solder to on the board anymore as it's attached to the wire. If it just needed to be soldered I would have done it myself and never posted. If I don't hear back about this soon I guess I will start support ticket.

Bakak said:

Since you basically ripped off the wire, the chance of getting a replacement from evolve seems pretty low to me...
The solderpad still seems fine, just solder the wire back on.

What you see on the board isn't a solder pad. Its what's showing now that it's no longer there. Thanks for the Reply but it's of no help. If it was that simple I wouldn't post. I have been doing this a while but first time a solder pad actually came off a board ever.

The battery and atomizer hookup wire is pretty large gauge, if tinned heavily, and then bent to fit into the case, it can put a great deal of torque on the chip, and lift a pad.  It is really important to not tin past the solder area and to generally shape the wire for its final form prior to tinning and soldering.

alee132 said:

[QUOTE=Bakak]Since you basically ripped off the wire, the chance of getting a replacement from evolve seems pretty low to me...
The solderpad still seems fine, just solder the wire back on.

What you see on the board isn't a solder pad. Its what's showing now that it's no longer there. Thanks for the Reply but it's of no help. If it was that simple I wouldn't post. I have been doing this a while but first time a solder pad actually came off a board ever.[/QUOTE] Well Bakak wasn't very helpfull was he, these boards are really fragile.. Put a ticket in to evolv they should help you out.. I'm suprised this happened on the battery side as its only 18 gauge wire needed and takes seconds to solder.. The 510 and Gnd side will pull it off if not done like blueridgedog says..

This has happened because you have got too much heat on the board, effectively melting the pad off of the board, and now that the pad is completely off the board you have broken the PCB trace as well.

Solder with less heat dude, tin the pad, tin the wire, and preheat the wire before making your solder connection, you want the iron to be in contact with the board for as little time as possible, so when your tinned wire has molten solder, just place it on the pad and remove the heat. Don't put the wire on the pad and heat the whole thing up till it joins.

PCBs are very fragile and sensitive to heat.