eeek!! Help Installing Escribe with Chromebook

Jentz9517 said:

What needs to be downloaded to get escribe up and running with an asus c201 chromebook with an arm processor? Can anyone with experience please list steps? I have limited knowledge and just got this laptop today.. Much Appreciated

Hey, I just sent you a PM. In order to DL Escribe, all you need to do is go to the Evolvapor.com (evolv's homepage) and find the link to download the escribe software. Once you do that, install the software on to your chrome book and it will provide you with a shortcut icon on your desktop that once clicked will open up the program...and that's it. Plug in your DNA 200 and Vape on! It's fairly simple...hope that works! *Also, I suggest you use Google Chrome as a web browser, mainly for downloading and saving CSV (from Steam Engine) files to customize your device. For some reason, Internet Explorer will not save the CSV files.

That is an ARM style cpu, I seriously doubt you are going to get escribe to run on a chromebook.

I don't think you are going to find any Windows virtual machine software for it, as it runs chromium.  Also being a ARM processor throws another wrench in the works.

Escribe needs Windows(and MAC in the future), or some type of virtual machine, but even with virtual machines there are issues ..

If it was done on a chromebook , it was done by installing some flavor of linux on it and then installing a virtual machine ...

The problem is going to be your CPU, the ARM CPU does not use the x86 instruction set, so some HEAVY emulation would have to occur in the virtual machine.

Some Chromebooks have x86 style cpus so it was most likely one of them.

Jentz9517 said:

Yeah he was running an acer c720 - so I guess I'd better just return this ?

(Yeah, his was an Intel-based one.)

If you want to run EScribe, yes, I'd return it.

There may be a way to shoehorn the KVM virtual machine on an ARM chromebook, but it would probably require every last nerve and stand of hair from a seasoned Linux nerd; and that's without even getting the USB to work.

For the sub 200.00, 150 bucks range, I'd go with a small Windows 10 tablet (with a USB port).

I'd look at one of the Chinese brands on Gearbest. Amazing bang for your buck.

I think places like Best Buy would have some small, Windows 8.1 tablets on clearance for under a hundred bucks, too.

Jalcide said:

[QUOTE=Jentz9517]Yeah he was running an acer c720 - so I guess I'd better just return this ?

(Yeah, his was an Intel-based one.)

If you want to run EScribe, yes, I'd return it.

There may be a way to shoehorn the KVM virtual machine on an ARM chromebook, but it would probably require every last nerve and stand of hair from a seasoned Linux nerd; and that's without even getting the USB to work.

For the sub 200.00, 150 bucks range, I'd go with a small Windows 10 tablet (with a USB port).

I'd look at one of the Chinese brands on Gearbest. Amazing bang for your buck.[/QUOTE] That is why I went with the Winbook TW700- it is one of the only tablets with a full sized USB port-you can get them all over the internet (mainly ebay) for around $100.

just throwing this out there but i picked up a chuwi Hi8 windows 10 tablet from gearbest for under $100. great for web and escribe. only one micro usb port tho, so yer gonna need a usb hub to charge at the same time if you have you dna plugged in. also if you wanna run any of the escribe analyzers. the 4000mah lipo doesnt last long at all when the dna is plugged into it. thats why i suggest a hub or a tablet with 2 usb ports, 1 for charging the tab, 1 for the dna200.

Jentz9517 said:

Ya didn't you get yours for like 50$

I got mine for $27+shipping! There are new listings everyday on ebay. They're definitely not hard to come by. * I just checked ebay and they have a "Buy it now" Winbook (used, but comes with box) for $65+free shipping and another one at auction for $25--about 2 days left and 0 bids...

If it were an x86 Chromebook (ie. Intel based), then you could use one of the hacked Qemu installs, install Winblows to it and then Escribe that way (done it with my Samsung, and it tends to work). I use Qemu or Virtual Box on all of my machines because I only run Linux, and use one of the IE virtual images from Microsoft to use Escribe.

Long story, or confusing story, short....You cannot do what you are trying to do with your Acer Chromebook.

You need a windows environment on an x86 or an AMD64 processor.  If you have a compatible processor, then you can get your windows environment with a variety of methods.  First is a direct install of windows to the hardware, the second is a install of a windows "guest" OS via one of the common virtual OS solutions (VirtualBox, VM Fusion).  To my knowledge, ChromeOS can't support the hosting of virtual OSs via a software program like VirtualBox or VM Fusion.