Whats the best material to start out building with other than Kanthal?

24 gauge Pt950/Ru (95% platinum/5% ruthenium). Titanium has a flavor too, but it's hard to detect until you vape on a wire that has absolutely no flavor at all, because it's chemically inert when used as a heating coil. It does not oxide with anything in the atmosphere at any reasonable temperatre You can dry fire it to blindingly hot - not just glowing, or red hot, but where it's getting to be as bright as a lightbulb filament - and all that happens is that every bit of gunk on the wire vaporizes and the coil is shiny and new. It will literally last forever. Because no oxide layer forms on the outside, the coils must be spaced.

On my Griffin I built dual chimney coils. Nice clouds, and because the only air route is through the inside of the coil, the flavor is intense. IMG_4629.jpg  IMG_4633.jpg 

kismetcapitan said:

24 gauge Pt950/Ru (95% platinum/5% ruthenium). Titanium has a flavor too, but it's hard to detect until you vape on a wire that has absolutely no flavor at all, because it's chemically inert when used as a heating coil. It does not oxide with anything in the atmosphere at any reasonable temperatre You can dry fire it to blindingly hot - not just glowing, or red hot, but where it's getting to be as bright as a lightbulb filament - and all that happens is that every bit of gunk on the wire vaporizes and the coil is shiny and new. It will literally last forever. Because no oxide layer forms on the outside, the coils must be spaced.

On my Griffin I built dual chimney coils. Nice clouds, and because the only air route is through the inside of the coil, the flavor is intense. IMG_4629.jpg  IMG_4633.jpg 

Where can you find that type of wire and gauge? And how much is it?

What are you using for a TC on that wire, Johan?  I see 3.93x10(-3) listed but don't see a listing for the ruthenium.  I'm guessing the 3.93 number would work, but just want to ask.  It is expensive, ~$50/ft, but if it can be dry burned, easily, that negates the added expense.

I didn't get any, was thinking about it, still may. The number you posted is all I found also. Was hoping steamengine would have it with the new materials they added...

Was just reading about platinum wire on a jewelry making site, apparently you can work harden it if it's too soft. One method they use is spinning it with a drill motor and holding other end with pliers just like you would to straighten core wires for clapton (coaxial) wire.

And my apologies to the OP, kind of off on a tangent here for a question about starting to build your own coils [redface]