Up in smoke under 30 days

Roger run in to a problem I was using the opus to try some new juice kanthal dual coil Clapton with mutation v3 ohms 0.33 pushing 60 watts every thing was fine set it down next to me about 20 minutes later it sounded like it fried got my attention looked over to see small puff of smoke came out of box not the atty picked it up stone cold I was going to put it out side not necessarily I did check the atty at once I do not believe it auto fired it was cold too I am pretty sure it popped the fuse .for maybe two seconds at the most something in side had shorted because of the sound it most likely burnt something I did not reopen it . this is the one I replaced the 510 in it all so I believe the second time I have used the mod not in temperature mode what ever it was solid short by the sound it made should be signs of what happened glade it has fuse it dose have a definite burnt smell to it like I said little puff I am disappointed it failed but glade to know the safety works so what should I do now Brian . the email I sent to opus OK now I have over 200.00 dollars in a brick can some one please tell me why my opus failed .I have read and followed the fuse problems to the best of my ability and absolutely refuse to by another Chinese mod so opus DNA 200 witch I really enjoyed for the short time it was up it's like here are too firms in the USA that can not seam to agree on why this chip and box do not seam in some cases to mate up so good .I did change the 510 when the opus DNA was less than a week old opus supplied it no charge from my limited very limited experience what a clean looking build nothing like other mods I have open so is there a solution so I can get back to using my DNA 200 with my opus box pic from when I replaced the 510 now that sure looks like a very clean build to me please help

20160122_151610.jpg

Yes I am working on that being the weekend I decided to open it up it did blow the fuse but not until if fryed the board thank full it has a fuse batteries still charged by volt meter 4.1 each pack my only concern is how long I am going to be down my opus DNA 200 has spoiled me for life big time

20160207_130946.jpg

20160207_121304.jpg

20160207_131249.jpg

20160207_131234.jpg

Im not saying youve done the same as i have done in the past, but i burnt a board out, it self fired after about 30 minuts standing unused, a small, cut strand of wire, that hadnt been cleaned away from when i built it, had lodged accross the connection leggs of a chip, and it burned the corner off the chip, the fuse never blew, but the board was destroyed.

I could not find anything shorting touching anything the mod did what I thought was a hard auto fire for less than 2 seconds it was sitting next to me on the night stand looked over seen puff of smoke coming from the box getting ready to get it out of the house quick but when I picked it up it was cold same with the atty and dead my battery packs are still showing 4.1 volts each glade it has a fuse I really tock my time opening it up on a super clean work zone everything looked perfect but board and fuse are history man I fell sick

Modbustets said:

Yes I am working on that being the weekend I decided to open it up it did blow the fuse but not until if fryed the board thank full it has a fuse batteries still charged by volt meter 4.1 each pack my only concern is how long I am going to be down my opus DNA 200 has spoiled me for life big time

yep, you fried that mosfet. definitely need a new board.

ChunkyButt200 said:

[QUOTE=Modbustets]Yes I am working on that being the weekend I decided to open it up it did blow the fuse but not until if fryed the board thank full it has a fuse batteries still charged by volt meter 4.1 each pack my only concern is how long I am going to be down my opus DNA 200 has spoiled me for life big time

yep, you fried that mosfet. definitely need a new board.[/QUOTE] any idea why ?

Modbustets said:

[QUOTE=ChunkyButt200][QUOTE=Modbustets]Yes I am working on that being the weekend I decided to open it up it did blow the fuse but not until if fryed the board thank full it has a fuse batteries still charged by volt meter 4.1 each pack my only concern is how long I am going to be down my opus DNA 200 has spoiled me for life big time

yep, you fried that mosfet. definitely need a new board.[/QUOTE] any idea why ?[/QUOTE]there's a couple of theories on how it could of fried. as black lace stated in his post, if there was a stray piece of wire (one tiny strand of copper is all it takes), it could of found a spot on the board where there was no conformal coating and hard shorted. sometimes when soldering, a tiny blob of molten solder will fling off of the iron tip or the pad you're soldering and roll around inside of the enclosure, eventually finding it's way to the board shorting out a section. a direct atty hard short i.e. super low resistance, poor soldering at the GND and Out pads creating a hard short. pretty much anything conductive, creating a hard, will fry electronics.

Modbustets said:

That's the part I do not understand it didn't fire the arty was cold

sorry, i'm having a hard time understanding your posts. youre saying the mod was not being used when this happened? the mod doesn't always need to have the fire button pressed for it to short out. it can happen just sitting there. all it takes is for the right circumstances for the short to happen. 

Sorry no it had been setting for about 20 min. and then I hear what I thought was the mod firing looked over to see puff of smoke grab the mod and from past experience with lower end mods auto firing ready to head for the door and remove the atty but mod and atty were cold it was at that point i relized it had not fired the atty .And the mod was dead I guess do to fuse popping.his all happened real quick .after opening the mod up hoping to find something simple I realized how much damage was done the kanthal .33 ohms build was another thing that confused me a lot of the fuse problem seam to be tied to titanium or nickel temperature control and is what I use on this mod 99% of the time . 0.07.to 0.15 builds .again sorry about the grammar. More pic after getting the board cleaned up

20160207_161809.jpg

20160207_161751.jpg

The puff of smoke came from the componeny that burned out, it may have been burning up for several minits beffor you noticed it give out. If you go over it with a magnifiying glass you may find somthing melted. Your pics arnt clear enough for us. when i did mine i melted a small hole in one of the flat black components , and the strand of wire was a single piece of 16 guage resting on two of the connector leggs,,, i had also done a repaire to the 510. It was thiner than as a hair and no.longer than a 1mm doing repairs with the board insitue is always a risk of further problems, breaking a component while .... ect. Ect....

O it did a lot of burning chunkyButt200 noted the mosfet gone I am finding stuff meted All over the board solder splater from high drain that blew the fuse I am impressed it did not melt one wire. I for one am glade for the way evolv builds safety in to there boards . I do not even pretend to know what caused the falt this board and the opus box are one nice setup. I just hope evolv and Roger can find a solution to this . I was told before I ordered my mod there was a problem .with some of them but I like the mod and the DNA 200 board and I refuse to buy any more Chinese mods . I am confident this can be worked out

Modbustets said:

O it did a lot of burning chunkyButt200 noted the mosfet gone I am finding stuff meted All over the board solder splater from high drain that blew the fuse I am impressed it did not melt one wire. I for one am glade for the way evlov builds safety in to there boards . I do not even pretend to know what caused the falt this board and the opus box are one nice setup. I just hope evolv and Roger can find a solution to this . I was told before I ordered my mod there was a problem .with some of them but I like the mod and the DNA 200 board and I refuse to buy any more Chinese mods . I am confident this can be worked out

good attitude to have Mod. i'm also confident you'll get your opus back up and running again.   

dwcraig1 said:

In the beginning the only manufactured DNA200 mod was the Opus so when one died of coarse it was an Opus.
But is the fatality rate actually any higher than others? Or does it just seem that way? 

good point I ordered two of them black and a nickel the black one is in the hands of a friend who has the worst luck with devices mods out of any one I know. Nock on wood the black is working no problems my friend Jeff is lucky to get 3 weeks out of a mod . His opus DNA 200 is on its fourth week .I on the other hand have never till Friday lost a board sort of hurt my pride . Jeff and I still think the DNA 200 opus is the best thing since sliced bread .

The Opus is exceptionally pocket friendly when Murphy's Law comes into play. More times than I wish to admit I forget to lock it and with the way the fire button is located it pretty much isn't going to fire unintentionally.
I'm nearing 7 months with a black one, so far no problems other than I pushed the 510's insulator in some but I fixed that. Totally my fault there.

Tell me about it as I am using my other mod for me it's all the little things. Light weight fits in my hand perfect more Powe than I would ever need .then there is the ability to change everything from what I see on the screen to how many clicks of the button to lock or unlock O I miss my opus

:D  A big thank you to Evol. Nick sent me out a new board and even with my shaky hands I was able to get the board installed and working great. I was really concerned about not damaging the ribbon as I was putting it in. Because I had the old board and ribbon for the screen to play with I was able to practice with it. I believe the original ribbon might still be good but I didn't want to chance it. I found the suggestions on this form about how to fold the ribbon using a card and a tooth pick to help slide it in. It worked beautiful. From what I read the ribbon was fragile. The ribbon was one of the first things i installed and got bumped around harder than I would of liked a few times. I was afraid I damaged it but it survived. If I had to do it again I'd take roger"s offer to send it back to opus to let them do the repairs. I think. I really missed my Opus DNA 200. It was down for a whole eight days. The biggest problem I run into was after installing the up dates for some reason the board stopped working and E scribe would not recognize it. I kept trying different things and then it said up dating drivers that took care of the problem. It really confused me because I had already hooked it to E scribe before updating with no problems. The only other problem I ran in to was I didn't align the screen properly. That was my fault. It was not that big of a deal to me except for my perfectionism. I also want to thank everyone that replied to this and pointed me in the right direction on opening a ticket. 20160217_135900[1].jpg 

• 4 weeks later...
Nick said:

Glad to see you got your device up and running again! Enjoy it. :D

O Nick I am just getting up looking through the trees as the sun comes up still in bed .Opus DNA 200 Goliath v 2 single coil T .08 450 Degree F medium punch at 75 watts running 25 watts thinking I need to be on my 30 foor Chris Craft out in the Gulf fishing warm over cast day here in Florida west cost got to get my boat up and running. cup of coffee opus sun coming up truly enjoying it thanks again for getting the new board to me so quickly Brian