Mod just stopped working without being plugged in.

Darklyspectre

So yesterday my friend en I finished up building my DNA 200 mod.

It worked great. emptied out the lipo. and let it charge overnight. it worked this morning but like a hour ago it just stopped working. No button works. Screen/mod won't turn on.

Connected it to my PC. The mod turns on. Checked device monitor. Battery registers just fine. Voltage of the battery pack is what it should be. individual cells are balanced and USB is charging it.

so the battery is fine. The mod registers the correct values for it. I checked the battery fuse on the board. that is fine too.

But the moment I dare to unplug the USB the entire system just shuts down.

I noticed that the chip won't register my atty anymore. just a question mark. Checked the connection to the board and those seems to be fine. exactly the way they were in the beginning.

Tried downgrading and upgrading the firmware but it doesn't do anything either.

I am honestly stumped. the battery connection is solid. the atty connection seems solid. The only thing that seems to have gone iffy is one lead of the fire button on the PCB. It kinda wobbles but it's pretty solid and can't touch any other leads. Even then at most that would cause a false button register.

any idea what is going on?

Can you try jumping across the fuse with tweezers or a very fine wire and see if it comes back on? We have been doing batch testing of the fuses made on the same days as ones that have popped, and they seem fine so far, but I am starting wonder if we didn't just get a reel with some bad or mislabelled fuses in it. The fuses that are definitely 25 amps pop dramatically (the link burns away, leaving the fuse white), but some of the dead fuse opuses seem to just kinda bubble up. I don't have any hard evidence of it, and I do have hard some opuses with definite internal shorts, but it makes me wonder.

Well it has been confirmed.

Used some 32 gauge I had laying around to make a bridge thingy.

Sparky spark and then the screen turned on. Letting go of the wire made it turn off.

So I guess the fuse is indeed blown without it turning into ash haha.

while I was fiddling with the wireI noticed that there was this covering ontop of the fuse came loose. Kinda looks like a see through plastic like thing.

I am honestly surprised it blew. The wire is big enough. I never reversed the polarity. I used connectors that are high quality and can handle the amp loads. I work with my parents in the kitchen industry(selling and installing consumer kitchens) and I have installed so many cooktops that needed 5 wire connectors and the whole measuring out voltages to get it right. Wow it would just suck that I did something wrong with just two wires haha.

Ah man this sucks. I had enough issues with soldering those wires for the buttons let alone that tiny fuse. But the chip was a darn dream while it worked. That is the weirdest thing too. it worked for like 15 hours and then just blew. Hell I wasn't even firing while it blew. I was unlocking the device. would a blown fuse prevent the chip from reading the cold ohms of an atomizer?

my dna screenshot (that is Thursday and June in dutch)
[tumblr_nsd3zzXhzx1r31daro1_400]

Yes, a blown fuse will prevent it firing. We are looking into our records for production from that batch. If you are feeling feisty, you could short across the fuse on the board with a large wire and install a mini 25 amp automotive fuse in line with the battery if you have space in your device.

I removed the board and removed all the leads since I need to redo the fuse anyway.

But when I took it out I tried it again(the my dna picture was at that time) and still the same thing.

Checked all the leads. positive and negative leads were secure and nothing was touching anything that it shouldn't touch.

battery leads are solid too so is the balance charger. The button leads were good other than the negative fire button lead, it spun around abit but even then it couldn't touch anything that would cause a short.

same scenario in the encasing. Nothing was touching anything. Hence why I am so confused to why the fuse blew.

http://www.mouser.be/ProductDetail/Schurter/3413033222/?qs=tk5EcTX4n4yNf01GmJFMyw%3D%3D

This is what I need right?

Well this is great.

one shop sells the fuse separately but its a total of 30ish bucks including shipping. Another one sells by 10 but only ships to the UK.

Seems like I am going lose 30 bucks over this damn fuse. I guess this teaches me not to touch with electronics.

about using a car fuse.

Do you mean something like this?

[Zekeringen_-_Mini_zekering_25_ampere_5_stuks] 
It just has to be 25 amps right? Guess I will frankenstein the chip and turn it into a car mod haha.So what gauge wire should I use?

Sorry for the double post but I just want to be sure if it works or il probably buy the schezer fuse.

The fuse itself is very cheap. no issue there but the only two places that I found that sell it in reasonable amounts are mouser and digikey and both have shipping that are 22-25 bucks.

anybody else sells it either in a 10 pack(which isn't too expensive) but only ship to their own country or sell it in 1000 packs.

Thank you for your offer to have you guys replace the fuse. Need to check with my postal office on shipping prices to the US since their website is talking 35 bucks on shipping. What would be my cost on the repair and return shipping to belgium?

Wow. Well I guess I can take abit of waiting if it means my chip will be properly repaired instead of me messing everything up and completely frying the chip(did find a cheaper place for the fuses but hey professional)

Can you PM me the details on how to do this john?

Man people have always told me about the customer service of evolv but this is the first time I have actually got involved with the evolv customer service. consider me impressed.

My mod has literally just done the exact same thing.  I have used it for about a week since the completed build.  The data sheet provides a part # for the replacement fuses; is there any special tactic to replacing them?  Is there a recommended site for purchasing them?  I am certain the battery connection is not an issue - it is soldered directly to the board

MiraiXero said:

My mod has literally just done the exact same thing.  I have used it for about a week since the completed build.  The data sheet provides a part # for the replacement fuses; is there any special tactic to replacing them?  Is there a recommended site for purchasing them?  I am certain the battery connection is not an issue - it is soldered directly to the board

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Schurter/3413033222/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtxU2g%2f1juGqdarebAki7BncFR0viL77ps%3d = $0.54/ea

Digikey Schurter - $1.10/ea