DNA200 suddenly became a dud.

iandvaypes

This was working fine until it suddenly went dead. I tried to connect to connect to escribe, nothing. Tried to force a firmware, nothing. Then I desoldered the battery and let the chip set for a while without power. Then I soldered the battery again and this is the weird part. The dna 200 will turn on and completely shut off after 5 seconds. The battery symbol isn't on the screen at all. All of the battery and balancing connections are solid. The pc still won't detect it. The weird part is that if I connect it to my high powered port, it will get very hot and smell like it's burning. The battery is still fine and my reader reads the correct voltage. If I hold the fire button, it will say check atomizer over and over again without turning off. If i press the power button once, it will turn off in 5 seconds. If I turn up the wattage, it will turn off and start back at 15 watts when turned back on. Plugging the usb in will light the screen up. Plugging it in without a battery will do nothing. This would be from one of the first batches and is obtained from the coop on ECF. Thanks

Was just reading some of these issues on this Dna 200 forum and thought I would throw my issue in also just so its out there and known. Just received an opus 200 mod on July 31st, vaped it one night and woke up this morning took a hit and then board/mod went dead. Couldn't get anything from it, plugged inton escribe and not detecting it at all either. So not sure what happened, needless to say just have to return to opus for repair. Won't help now at this moment to anyone but once I find out what the issue was I will update. Been seeing a few issues lately so thought I would let people know my issue.

Iandvaypes, can you get a closeup of the three legged component near the screen connector? That is the only thing that looks even a little wrong on yours. Pm me your address and I will cross ship you one Monday. You have a failure mode we haven't seen before exactly, so I would like to know what exactly it is doing. 

Thanks. 

Well, it is part of the charge circuitry. It ia 99% knowing where to look first based on the symptons. It looks a bit discolored, but I don't see any burning on it. Will see when we get it back. Is there anything unusual about the charger you typically use with this guy? We hadnt seen a lot of charger relates issues yet.

John said:

Well, it is part of the charge circuitry. It ia 99% knowing where to look first based on the symptons. It looks a bit discolored, but I don't see any burning on it. Will see when we get it back. Is there anything unusual about the charger you typically use with this guy? We hadnt seen a lot of charger relates issues yet.

I use a normal 1 amp samsung phone charger. That cable worked great for escribe also. I also used my two laptop usb ports. The port with the lightning bolt symbol is the one that made it really hot and smell like it's burning. It started doing this after the chip went out. I do remember that it got very hot by that three port component and burned my finger.

Noixd said:

I just received my nickel Opus DNA 200 yesterday and today while vaping it just went dead. Plugging into the USB charger does nothing and is unresponsive. Does anyone know what the problem is?

When you first got it, no issue connecting to EScribe via USB?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

hello i got a dna200 chip from a Dyi mode kit someone bought me from 

NONAMé Box Mods but it was a dyi for a duel 18650 sled and i didn't want a 133 so i had a blown up rx200 mod and i have a dna200 wismec so i figured why not just use the case from the rx200 and the board so anyway i copied the wieing from that one in the rx and the screen came on but showed not battery witha a atty on if no atty it said check atty plus it would not stay on unless i held the fire button down soon as i let go it died. so i thought maybe i had to two wires in the front backward so i fliped then now it would stay on but still showed no battery and would say the same things so then looking around i found this  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4koYNhAh1fLcUpVTUZCYlVXOUU/view
so as hard as it was i copied that wiring still no battery shows and i had to ass so many wires to the rx200 mod i cold not property close it anymore anyway so now i am trying to decide if i should spend 70 bucks in parts getting a enclosure 510 chip sled and so on to make a lipo box mod or not. Problem is i dont know if the board is messed up or the wiring was just off or what i will send some pics too of the board..... it still wired in the mod atm so i cant get the back but 

magnifying_2016-04-06_16-59-49.jpg 

i took a screw out and got to wear you could see the fuse and it has a bit of solder on it but i think the fuse looks ok correct me if i am wrong.... i dont know wh to do to be honest i am willing to buy all the stuff cus i want the mod to work but this should be a new chip 

magnifying_2016-04-06_17-12-02.jpg 

oh and it does conect to ecribe but it wont do anything

dudes i got the same prob but after one month! its just about new update is bugged.
 i got wismec dna200 and it was showing warranty service every time i was removing the battery for charging and today after dat its just went dead(screen off and no reaction to any actions+ escribe wont even detect it or showed message like wrong device connected or somethin)/ SO by shazam magic i made it be able to detect it in escribe and then go straight to ur mod frimware update and update it to november 2015 update! ... i reactivated it with some random combo of buttons and downgraded to previuos software update and when u know what? its just freezed with uploading setting screen! i just tapped upload settings button on escribe and the mod restarted and working fine now. No any signs of warranty srvice message when i remove bateries or dead freezes! i think its bout that topic cause it also went ded with off screen with no reaction while i was trying to turn it on after downgrade 

I am also having a problem
Wismec DNA 200 not booting
Cell 1 is showing 0.01 Volt - all 3 Cells are charged external to 100%
Checked all cabling inside of the wismec ---- replaced the horrible Cabling with better cables but problem resists
Think there is something blown - but looked to the whole board - no discoloration no smell of burned resistors or so
Connected to USB with escribe it shows cell 1 0.01 Volt - disconect from USB pushing fire button screen shows Evolve Logo - no Atomizer
Ah i´ve forgotten to say - it´s fuse was blown once and someone replaced the fuse - but the DNA was working since yesterday it it suddenly went dead

Any suggestions where to look at?
It´s not that easy to find a Replacement board here in Germany

Kind regards
Mikel

I´m sure that it is still under warranty but someone else (i´ve bought it as a defective device) replaced the fuse (sadly)
Maybe evolve is interested in this kind of failure an offers me a replacement board - waiting for John to come along to this post ;-) 
If not i will kept the Housing / display / knobs and all the bits and peaces as Spare parts - 25Euro is not that much to cray about - but surely would
be nice to reanimate the beast ;-) 
I´ve thought that the horrible wismec wiring was the reason for the failure but it must be something on the board

Thanks - i will do so - but i have to wait until mid next month - we´re on holidays end of april to mid may ........so no one is here to handle this case -
If they tell me to ship it over to the USA it will take time....... 2 Weeks with DHL - so any action will end right to our holiday time ;-) 

• 1 year later...