12v 6a charging board piggy backing on the 200

Frogmod

There are times I forget to charge my mods at night so I end up tethered to a backup battery for about a 1/4 of the day. So I'm building a fast charge mod. Right now I'm waiting on my 2.2Ah battery, the specifications of the battery for charging is 2.2amp, max is 11amps. It's a venom 15c (33A) drain. I'm hoping to have the battery this week and should have more information and pics by the end of this weekend. The 3s board has charge and discharge protection. I'm going to try a 12V 10A power supply and see if it trips the board on changing it. 7A is what trips the board on discharge but now sure on charging it though.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.png

Frogmod said:

There are times I forget to charge my mods at night so I end up tethered to a backup battery for about a 1/4 of the day. So I'm building a fast charge mod. Right now I'm waiting on my 2.2Ah battery, the specifications of the battery for charging is 2.2amp, max is 11amps. It's a venom 15c (33A) drain. I'm hoping to have the battery this week and should have more information and pics by the end of this weekend. The 3s board has charge and discharge protection. I'm going to try a 12V 10A power supply and see if it trips the board on changing it. 7A is what trips the board on discharge but now sure on charging it though.

this separate charging board has a cell balancing circuit as well? are you going to leave the battery settings in escribe on lithium polymer or power supply to turn off the dna's charging circuit? one more question, can you post a link to this charging board please. 

i hope it works out for you. when you're doing the install post some during and after shots to let us know how it worked out.

Frogmod said:

Here's one for the 25,40 and the 75 board. It uses quad tp4056 chips. But you need a 3A plus USB power supply it get the full power from it. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=351668266308

i just combined two tp4056 boards to achieve 2 amp charging for my hacked vt200 i made into a dna 75. thanks for the link frogmod. good see other people who are like minded. here's a link to what i did.

https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65603-topic/?do=findComment&comment=886542

edit.....that link you posted to the 3 amp board, i'm guessing they're combing all those 4056 ic's not only to achieve 3 amp charging but also when plugged into a 2 amp usb charger it's less stressful on the 4056's and produces less heat at 2 amps because of the extra headroom.

ChunkyButt200 said:

i just combined two tp4056 boards to achieve 2 amp charging for my hacked vt200 i made into a dna 75. thanks for the link frogmod. good see other people who are like minded. here's a link to what i did.

https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65603-topic/?do=findComment&comment=886542

edit.....that link you posted to the 3 amp board, i'm guessing they're combing all those 4056 ic's not only to achieve 3 amp charging but also when plugged into a 2 amp usb charger it's less stressful on the 4056's and produces less heat at 2 amps because of the extra headroom.

yeah the boards do get hot but I haven't had any burn up yet. There great little boards I have about 20 if them laying about. I might have try on what you did I have a 6amp battery backup pack that takes forever to charge

My lipo pack will be here Friday evening but I thought I would try it on some vtc4's at 3 amps. First pic is when there dead Second and third pic you see the voltage is getting close to 4.2V and the amps going down Forth pic is when it's done charging Please note that the 13.3v is from the power supply and not the batteries I disconnected the power supply and it read the normal 12.6v. The vtc4 batteries where warn like normal charging warm and only took 30 mins. I can't wait to see what my 2.2 amp lipo pack charge time will be at 6 amps, 15mins.....maybe?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So I got my 2.2 amp pack today and this is how I wired it. The following pics are the when there was no power to powering the batteries. The batteries where almost fully charged so I'll have to test It more. The amp meter's desimule point is in the wrong place it so post to be 3.93 amps and .37 amps, (cheap China stuff) the plug for the high amp charger board I haven't decided on what to use yet. I'll post more info when the battery is dead (around Sunday evening)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

ChunkyButt200 said:

great job man. it's like that charging board was made for a project like this. who needs vaporshark's 2 amp charging when you got 4 amps. maybe a nice size barrel jack for the charging board mounted on the side or bottom of the mod.

thanks man :-) I do have some 5mm barrel connections on order for other projects I could try them, there rated for 3A though. I'm running battery anlyzer so ill have the results soon after I charge it back up

So escribe says my battery is 23.43 Wh's the pictures are taken 10 minutes apart from start to what I think is finished I did have some charging spikes when I first started charging but I think the charging board was testing the volts. Escribe was charging it to so I think that's why I was getting the 11 amps. It looks like the charging board will take what you'll give it so there goes the ideal of charging it from the cars power source. So I think having a 5A power source for this 2.2A battery will be safe, but I'm only going to use the fast charge option for when I forget of when I want to top it off before heading out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Frogmod said:

One thing I forgot to say is to fine tune your power supply between 12.6 to 12.8 volts you can leave it maxed out, it just won't have the slow charge towards the end of the cycle

Are you sure? Some lithium chargers (the better ones) usually start out slow with the current and build up to max current. I have seen some take up to 10 minutes or more to reach to this point. This is supposed to prolong the life of the cells.

Now I haven't seen any lithium chargers supply max current all the way up to full charge. You say yours does? The only way that could happen is to apply far more than 4.20v per cell. As lithium chargers generally work by constant current (CC) mode first and switch over to constant voltage (CV) mode (4.20v) once the charger's voltage is putting out 4.20v. Then once the current drops below 100ma, the charger should stop. As it is said that lithium cells doesn't like being held at 4.20v.

Frogmod said:

Second and third pic you see the voltage is getting close to 4.2V and the amps going down

This is how yours is actually working, right?

Yeah I know my nitcore charger Max's out at 750ma then slows down when it's about charged and my tp4056 charging boards do the same. This board does the same but you have to have your voltage set. The amp meter's decimal point is in the wrong place the last pic is reading .26ma the amps will slowly go to zero it just takes a little longer do so Edited....those 18650 batts I was playing around with the voltage so it's not really accurate the lipo pack is what it suppose to look like I ordered a 12v 5amp nonajustable PS so I'll see if it's more stable

ChunkyButt200 said:

.18 amps is what your charging board is drawing from your PS? is it nearing the end of the charge cycle? why do you say your amp meter is junk? maybe just test the current with the MM only and not both the amp meter and the MM.

i think .18 amps is right and it was at the end of the charge cycle. When I first started charging the amp meter was reading 97.4 even if I moved the point over to 9.74 that's still not right coming from a 12v 3a PS the volts were climbing normal so I let it get close to being fully charged then tested it with the meter then put them on the nitcore charger, it was giving them .05 amps so the board is doing its job. When my batteries are drained I'll try just the MM. I think having a better fixed PS (12v 5a that I just ordered should be here next week) will be better. But like I said I'm only using the fast charge for when I'm pressed for time or if I forget to charge it, my main changing will be from the USB port.

After doing more research I think I found the right charging components what do you guys think? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281843079093 http://www.batterysupports.com/liion-lipo-126v-108v-5a-3s-wall-socket-battery-charger-ac-dc-p-336.html

i'd think this combo would be friendlier to your lipo or 18650's. you can set the CC amps for that part of the charge then when it's time for CV to take over you can also set that. the board automatically knows when to switch between cc and cv.
you need a power supply that has a voltage greater than 12.6v  14-16 would be ideal for the input on this converter. you could still use your protection board as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-5A-Lithium-Charger-CV-CC-buck-Step-down-Power-Supply-Module-LED-Driver-New-/401089106197?hash=item5d62c61115:g:bHwAAOSwo8hTqSb

I use one of these. Great for multiple purposes. Charging lithium batteries, VV and/or CC power supply, etc. Careful, no reverse polarity protection.

CPS-3205 0-32V 0-5A Portable Adjustable DC Power Supply 110V/220V

http://www.banggood.com/CPS-3205-0-32V-0-5A-Portable-Adjustable-DC-Power-Supply-110V220V-p-934530.html

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the results for the 3s vtc4's the board got really warm at a set point of 2.5 amps. The voltage started to climb and the amps stayed at 2.5 11.46v 2.498A 11.88v red light goes off amps start to drop 12.30v 1A 12.44v 500mA 12.5v 350mA 12.52v 270mA blue light goes off green light comes on 12.55v 200mA 12..58v 100mA 12.6v 80mA the amps kept dropping but I took it off and put it on the nicore charger and it said it was done. So the total time was about 1.5hrs having the board set to 12.6v 2.5 amps A single 18650 vtc4 with the board set at 4.2v 2.5 amps started out at 3.1v at 2.5 amps then at 4.01v 2.5amps red light goes off in about 30secs amps start to drop tell the green light comes on around 4.1v and the amps drop from there.