SS316L - Final thread - settings, information, sujestions.

seekerom

retird said:

Can you take a screenshot in Device Monitor showing a vape.  Would like to see graphed the "Pack",  "Power" and "Power Set", "Temperature" and "Temperature Set"

THANKS....

What me?

Not likely at this time of day, i dont vape inside - oversensitive smoke detectors, maybe on a warm day - (its winter and night here at the moment) when i can open the window and door to vent the vape :)

Mdelaere said:

I'll be following this, I seem to be having issues with SS316L (only wire I have) as well. I think I might just buy some UD wire next time. My wire did come from a vape shop, but no idea what brand of wire it is.

The vape feels better on my cuboid, but that's probably because the cuboid SS 316 setting is not that accurate. I feel the DNA75/200 should be better once I get it set up correctly.

I use UD 28g 316L and it has performed great with the Dna200. I will say that the wire has been sitting for a year as I bought it to use on a IPV D2 and I did not care for the results at all. The flavor was really muted and I went back to kanthal and power mode. For some reason with the Dna's the vape I get is just as good as kanthal. I can only guess its the way that the board handles the wire in TC differently than the Yihi does. I think I got the wire from Fasttech but I am sure its available in the US now. Its the stuff that is on the lime green spool.

stylemessiah said:

I cant fathom how people are still complaining of problems with 316L SS on the DNA200

Ive been using it for months, no drama

All my coils are built thusly:

Single coil
7/8 wraps of 26g 316L for around 0.6
Spaced

I think ive said it here, and probably on every forum where people bang on about issues with 316L SS, build your coils knowing the caveats of the wire - low TCR, and stop blaming the DNA200 for the limitations of the wire. Build for above 0.5, the device has a far better chance to cope with the wire if you give it enough TCR to work with. Plenty of people who have followed this advice in my posts will tell you they had far better experiences.

People do have luck building lower, probably using good quality wire. But if youre using cheap fasttech or other generic who-knows-what-it-actually-is-even-if-its-labelled-316, and youre whining, then you need to get better quality wire, and stop whining. Im not a cloud chaser either, i vape to not smoke...im weird like that.

All my coils work fine with the default 316 profile...

I do not use Preheat - i approach this thusly "why would i want to heat my wire/juice to a setting i wouldnt vape at?". I can wait a half second for the wire to heat up, and up to the temp i vape at.
Preheating a wire beyond the temp you intend to vape at and not getting accurate results...well i wouldnt be surprised...again, learn about the caveats of the wire...preheating it is just going to mean youre forcing the mod to make calculations on a wire with very low TCR, at inflated initial TCR values due to preheating....not the mods fault, its yours for not understanding how it works, or recognising the limitations of the wire <- a lot of the problem is people not understanding the fricking limitations of the wire.

I have my watts set at 40

I vape at 180-200c

Never lock ohms, my atties (2 x Lemo 2's) are rock stable...another area people need to consider, how stable are your atties. Mine do not drift.

I use the same atties on my other mod - a TreeBox, and they work just as well on that as the DNA200, with the same read ohms, and the same temp settings. I can go from the TreeBox to the DNA200 and the experience is identical....so its nothing to do with the DNA and the whiners assertion that the DNA200 is flawed with 316 L SS....build a decent ohmage spaced coil with decent wire....

If youre having that much trouble with 316L SS, the answer is simple, move to 430 SS, it has a higher TCR, so even with crap quality wire, you have a better chance of success.

Ive been waiting for 430 SS to be available here, to make things even more accurate, but im not in any rush 316L SS works just fine, with a coil built to the limitations of the wire.

Ive been a tc only vaper for about 8 months, and using 316L SS for about 6 months of that

I never have heard about building .50 and up. But that makes really good sense now and it is where I am getting my best results. I have been vaping my Squape like crazy with a .63 ohm build and its just great.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought some unbranded alien claptons that came out to .2 and I'm assuming there's very little chance of me getting TC to work. 

I've 2 other setups right now:

12 wrap, 28ga, 2.5mm ID,  dual contact coil. came out to be about .6 ohms. Worked flawlessly before the firmware update, couldn't even tell there was an update aside from on device manager you could see a temp spike before it leveled out.

Second setup was 
7 wrap, 28ga, 3mm ID, dual slightly spaced coil, .43 ohms. This one worked with TC but I had to jump through hoops to get it to work, tried locking the resistance and still had to turn the temp up a bit to get a slightly weaker vape. After the recent firmware update, it works 100% and I don't have to do anything special to get it to work.

All of these have been with TCR set to .00092 with preheat/power set to 50W and temp usually around 450. I stick with temp dominant mode and the board does power for me.

Really wish I could get the alien claptons to work but it kicks me out of TC everytime, has anyone had any sort of clapton build work with TC and what resistance was it? 

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty new to the dna200 here and even newer to the forum, only had my triade about a month but here is what i have landed on so far that im pleased with. by all means if someone understands these things better and sees something a bit off please chime in because i have only come to these settings by trial and error. Sorry if much of this is common knowledge just taking you through the whole process of getting things right for me.

I have triple core fused claptons 28g/36g 3mm ID 6 wrap dual contact coils .16 ohms wicked with rayon- was having issues with them in my tfv8 and tsunami 24. I started using my tweezers and pliers and putting a tight 90 degree twist in the legs so the screws impacted the flat side of the wire without tweaking the whole thing to one side or the other and problems disappeared. Having a gradual twist in the legs was causing too many irregularities for me and even causing it to not read the temp. (obviously ignore if you have clamp style or vertical screws.)

As for settings i just started in wattage mode and found the area that was close then plugged it into a profile for TC with the CSV for the specific coils I was using. I started with just the standard 316l settings and it wasn't right at all. once i plugged everything in for it being clapton and all the specifics and loaded that up it got much closer. 

The hard numbers i have it set to now are in two different profiles one is for high vg and is power @100w preheat @150w preheat punch @11 temp @420 and ohms unlocked. now for juices with slightly lower vg everything stays the same except power goes down to 75 and preheat is at 100. devicemonitor.jpg 

VapingBad said:

The latest early version of EScribe and DNA 200 firmware will give you a much smoother vape when running at the temp limit, link in my footer.

Thank you!! i was using Ni200 before and the temp was so steady. when i switched to ss316l i just assumed that irregularity was what i was stuck with because of the change in wire. Just like you said vapes so much smoother, thank you again! devicemonitor2.jpg