Resistances and performance

Singlecoilchuck

I'm just trying to get a feel for my sweet spots. It's hard to pin down a minimum and maximum resistance based on "see graph." Would I be right in assuming that for performance in a broad range while keeping decent battery performance I need to keep my resistance between a .35 and a .5? Just got my Therion DNA75 Today and am trying to get a good all around build. Thanks!

You can go lower, I use Ni200 dual coils at 0.05 ohm, but the limit for 75 W is even lower around 0.03. The lower limit for Kanthal is a little higher about 0.08 ohm, I would aim to stay above 0.12 to be on the safe side.  At very low resistances the mod & atty resistance become more significant and will sink some power, but other than Ni and Ti I don't think you will have to worry about the lower limit often.  

You are right the upper limit for non temp sensing wire is 0.5 ohm, but for temp sensing wires it is lower, 0.22 ohm for Ni.  The limit is from the 6.2 V max output voltage, you are going to be limited by the resistance your wire reaches at the temp you like to vape.  Ni will be the lowest max res for full power at 0.22 ohm, ss you can  build higher as it will only increase res about 20% so you should be OK up to about 0.4 ohm, Ti about 0.25 ohm.  (quick calcs at 500 F just using a single TCR so not absolutely accurate)

These are to get max power, you can build higher, you will just get less power.

VapingBad said:

You can go lower, I use Ni200 dual coils at 0.05 ohm, but the limit for 75 W is even lower around 0.03. The lower limit for Kanthal is a little higher about 0.08 ohm, I would aim to stay above 0.12 to be on the safe side.  At very low resistances the mod & atty resistance become more significant and will sink some power, but other than Ni and Ti I don't think you will have to worry about the lower limit often.  

You are right the upper limit for non temp sensing wire is 0.5 ohm, but for temp sensing wires it is lower, 0.22 ohm for Ni.  The limit is from the 6.2 V max output voltage, you are going to be limited by the resistance your wire reaches at the temp you like to vape.  Ni will be the lowest max res for full power at 0.22 ohm, ss you can  build higher as it will only increase res about 20% so you should be OK up to about 0.4 ohm, Ti about 0.25 ohm.  (quick calcs at 500 F just using a single TCR so not absolutely accurate)

These are to get max power, you can build higher, you will just get less power.

I appreciate it. I have a Uwell Rafael X in my arsenal that I love for tc builds due to the fact I can squeeze significantly higher resistances out of traditionally low res builds. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why my vape sucked at 50W until I realized I was pulling 6+V and my mod was screaming Resistance too high. I use ss316L for my tc builds and KA1 for anything else. I figured .35-.5 would give me a pretty broad range and keep my heat where I like it (for power). I'll have to play around with my tc builds for a while but I'm thinking .3 will keep me happy with the temp settings I prefer. Thanks for the info!

Or, you can head over to Steam-engine - mod range - choose Evolv DNA75, and with a 30A battery, it'll show the sweet spot as being .36?

Resistance range for maximum power 75 W 0.083 – 0.513?
Median resistance 0.207?
Sweet spot 0.36?

Then, head to the coil wrapping tab, lock in 0.36? Target resistance, input your wire specs, and voila, how many wraps for your coil.

If I have any of that wrong gents, please let me know.

Wayneo said:

Or, you can head over to Steam-engine - mod range - choose Evolv DNA75, and with a 30A battery, it'll show the sweet spot as being .36?

Resistance range for maximum power 75 W 0.083 – 0.513?
Median resistance 0.207?
Sweet spot 0.36?

Then, head to the coil wrapping tab, lock in 0.36? Target resistance, input your wire specs, and voila, how many wraps for your coil.

If I have any of that wrong gents, please let me know.

That is only for Kanthal. 

Ni, Ti, NiFe & SS will all be lower resistances.