SMY SDNA75- Problems and scorch mark on board.

Conanthewarrior

Hi everyone. 

Today, my DNA75 started playing up, displaying 'check atomizer'. 

I opened the mod, and found the positive lead to the 510 had become disconnected, but more worryingly, there is what appears to be a scorch mark on part of the board. 

Around a month ago, this mod was in my pocket, and I felt my pocket becoming hot. It was autofiring, and I could only stop it by removing the battery. It was quite hot, could this be the cause of the scorch mark? 

Is this board done with now, as it was working until today when I noticed the lead had become disconnected, I am unsure how long this scorch mark has been here. 

Here is an image of the mark, it is to the right of the black part with numbers on, two smaller parts around the bottom middle of the image,  the left one has the mark-

Thank you for your help, Conan. 

I can do fairly simple jobs, I will be able to solder the positive back, although I haven't opened this mod until today when the issues started, which is why I wondered what the scorch mark is. 

How would I of melted an input cap? Could it of been the auto fire situation that happened a while ago, as the mod and battery did get hot when this happened. 

If it is safe to still use, I will just solder the lead back in place, but I am a little worried in case it is unsafe. 

Have you reconnected the positive wire to the 510 and does the mod work again?  What was the cause of the auto fire a month ago and how was it corrected?  It is hard to tell from the picture much about the marks and it looks like there are marks on several components and could only be components not fully conformal coated during manufacturing.

The device was working ok until you got the check atomizer message and the message was caused by the disconnected 510 positive wire. I would guess the two things are not related but it's not easy to troubleshoot over the internet and not physically having the device in hand so that's my best guess....

retird said:

Have you reconnected the positive wire to the 510 and does the mod work again?  What was the cause of the auto fire a month ago and how was it corrected?  It is hard to tell from the picture much about the marks and it looks like there are marks on several components and could only be components not fully conformal coated during manufacturing.

The device was working ok until you got the check atomizer message and the message was caused by the disconnected 510 positive wire. I would guess the two things are not related but it's not easy to troubleshoot over the internet and not physically having the device in hand so that's my best guess....

Hello, I haven't yet reconnected the positive wire, as I was worried it could be a potential safety issue with the scorch mark. 

The autofire, I just took the battery out, and after everything worked fine again. 

It is hard to tell from the picture, but the only mark I can see is the one I am worried about, and the epoxy coating seems to be on all of the board, apart from the area with the scorch mark and directly left of it. 

Yes, the device was working fine until today, when I got a 'check atomiser' message that kept flashing and would not stop, which is why I opened it up. I then noticed the wire had become disconnected, and also the mark. 

OK.... Is there any indications on the board or solder points of the marked part that indicates overheating of the board or solder points around the marked part? Maybe the best way to check is to reconnect the 510 wire and see if it vapes again and you can feel the marked part for heat buildup. Hopefully the positive 510 wire when it came loose did not short out at the ground of the 510 connector. If that did occur I would think you would have gotten a shorted error message...

The only thing I can think of is the lack of Epoxy, would heat buildup cause the epoxy to melt/dissapear, or is that likely just from manufacturing? 

I did actually get a shorted error a few days ago, but I can not remember if it was on this, or one of my Hotcigs. I removed the atomiser, rebuilt and when I put it back on,everything was fine so I assumed it was an atomiser short, but the message displayed was just "Shorted". However I know the mod was fine afterwards, so I gathered it was just a bug. 

I will find my soldering iron later, and reconnect the lead, and hope for the best. I did really like the DNA75, so would like to be able to use it again. 

If the board HAD shorted somehow, and I reconnected the lead to the 510, would I be in any danger attempting to use the mod to see if it works? 

This is the only thing stopping my from soldering the lead back in place now, I would not want anything bad to happen. I am not familiar with building mods, and all of my Evolv devices have been from manufacturers of whole mods, so I am just a little worried something could happen that would hurt me if there was another issue going on. 

If you are concerned you could take it to a locsl vape shop that troubleshoots issues or contact SMY about the issue... and let them look at it and connect the 510 back and etc.  there are safety features built into the dna's.... the 510 wire should not have disconnected with normal use...

Also if there was a heat buildup you should have gotten a message also.... from the data sheet:

Too Hot: The DNA 75 has onboard temperature sensing. It will shut down and display this message if the internal board temperature becomes excessive. You can monitor the board temp in EScribe also....

Hmm, I am slightly worried that the 510 shouldn't of disconnected with normal use, but I am thinking it could simply of been a bad solder joint that was weak to begin with. 

Unfortunately, there are local vape stores, but I know more than they do when it comes to mods, they do not even understand the difference between input and output when it comes to regulated mods, so I wouldn't be able to do that- round here is a very 'chavvy' area, and they seem to hate Evolv boards, saying they are too expensive and fail too often. 
(Which, in my case, is unfortunately true. I still do find my favourite mods are my DNA200's though, even with the failures).

I never got a too hot warning, so I think soldering the positive back in place to the 510 will be the best move, and go from there. 

I just wonder why that Input cap has marks like that. I never run my mods hard, and the DNA75 has been used at 40W max. 

It is likely that the movement of the spring loaded center pin of the 510 and possible cold solder joint of the center pin wire caused the wire to come loose from the pin. As you said it was working ok before the check atty message... Somebody that repairs electronics (tv, stereo, etc) should be able to solder it for you. If it works after reattaching the wire to the 510 then you can plug it into EScribe Device Monitor and see how it is doing.... the mark you keep mentioning may be nothing to worry about and could have always been there you think???

Let us know what you find out after you get the 510 wire back on the center pin...