Totally New & Stupid

Okay, I've got a Tupperware graveyard in the bottom drawer full of old mods and tanks, so there's some dead bucks there. Gonna give my last mod (Tesla 160), to my stepson and he's pretty happy. Had a Smok TFV4 to go with T-3 coils, and it lasted just a week before shorting out. Not happy. So I run to my favorite store and pick up a Reuleaux DNA200. Awesome! Got a Uwell Crown with 0.25 dual coils for it. Great taste and nice clouds. Problem is that it burns hot and I've got it turned down to forty watts and I still can't get the hit I want without it burning out my butt. So I download the Evolvaper software, look it over and think, I don't work for NASA and my degree is in English. This may sound dumb, but can I connect mod to pc with the batteries in the mod? I'm good looking and want to stay that way. Should I adjust the temp? Seems like I need to create a profile for the Crown? Need to get through setup so I can play around with themes. Yup, totally new and stupid with a new toy...

Yes you can connect it to the PC with or without batteries. Although you won't be able to fire it without batteries, but everything else will work.

You don't need to create a profile. But profiles are handy for making a bunch of changes at once. And you must be using Stainless steel coils in your Crown. eh? So what are you running it in, temperature control or wattage mode?

The Reuleaux DNA200 (both my two) were setup for Ni200 for all profiles. Running SS coils in TC that is setup for Ni200 TC would be horrible. As it would either be too hot or too cold and nothing in between. You can adjust the temperature to the highest 600ºF and then click once more and it will report OFF. That means temperature control is off. Now it should vape fine on wattage.

Thanks, Bill! You were right -  way too hot and yes, horrible. Temp is now off and I'm getting a nice hit at higher wattage. I'd still like to figure out a profile for the Crown with the SS coils. I was "advised" that the Ni coils were garbage and not to use them? Looks like I'll be doing the tutorial next. And thanks again for your helpful, quick response.

I thought the Crown's Ni200 coils were fine. Although I think I only used two of the stock Ni200 coils and then started building my own with the optional RBA. But the word out on the street says that the Crown's Ni200 coils are hit or miss. So I guess it is a gamble. I never used my SS316L Crown coils, so I am no help there. I heard they are tricky to get TC right with them.

[QUOTE=ChunkyButt200]welcome to the forum @mossmoon. you know the old saying, "there are no stupid questions........" [/QUOTE]

Working for customer support in the industry, I'm inclined to disagree. :P

However the OP's question is most definitely not one of them. 

[QUOTE=BillW50]

I thought the Crown's Ni200 coils were fine. Although I think I only used two of the stock Ni200 coils and then started building my own with the optional RBA. But the word out on the street says that the Crown's Ni200 coils are hit or miss. So I guess it is a gamble. I never used my SS316L Crown coils, so I am no help there. I heard they are tricky to get TC right with them.[/QUOTE]

I used about 10 of the NI200 ones, they were ok, I think people conclude they're not good just because they're comparing the flavor to the SS ones which are definitely better, but they're not particularly bad, or worse than any other NI200 IMO. I wouldn't buy them though personally, I just had 10 with the 45 coils I got with my crown tank when I bought it.  Most people who love temperature control seem to be building their own coils and finding just the right build that works best with their atomizer.

I believe Uwell uses nickel press welded non-resistance legs on their SS coils, they claim that they're not meant as TC coils but they do seem to mostly work and many people use them that way. I'm not sure if some custom crown coil TCR curves exist that may compensate for this fact or not. I generally just use them in wattage mode. 

When I get my device back from Evolv I really need to try actually building some nickel coils and check the flavor, for the most part I always try TC, switch to wattage mode and the flavor is better. I need to give it some more chances to find just the right thing for me.

Back in my good ole college days, political correctness was already taking hold; we often heard, "There's no such thing as a stupid question." But let's face facts:  There's a slew of stupid people out there, ergo -  stupid questions AND answers...

I'm pretty happy with my Crown now that my DNA is set correctly, running the SS coils gives me a good hit at 92W with lots of flavor. Although I must admit I've got a black Smok TFV8 on the way (I'm basically lazy and like switching juice with a simple twist off, twist on). And I got a Wud skin for my mod which looks great with my nudie girl screens. Nothing like my fine wud in hand with a blast of juice!

• 7 months later...