TC mod too cold

lv21185

Hi guys!

I just bought my first DNA device which is a Thelema Solo 100C. When I tried using TC mod right out of the box, using its default setting for SS316, the vape was abnormally cool (compared to my other TC box mods and to normal wattage mode). Then I loaded the .csv file from moderator @retird for SS316L, which is the exact metal I was using (by the way it'd be nice if anyone can tell me how it differs from SS316 without an L). Still, I got cold vapor, like the vapor was there (though quite thin) but it felt like I was breathing normal air, not vaping, since the flavor was very much muted too. Has anyone encountered this problem? I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this thread already exists, I just couldn't find it (probably since English isn't my native language). Many thanks in advance!

P/S: My coil is a single SS316L, parallel build, 0.24 ohm in an Arbiter 2 RTA, if that helps.

Welcome 👋
I'll start by saying you should watch a video or two about DNA mods (longer DJLSB Vapes) so you get a better understanding overall of these mods, TC setup, and lingo.

I'd prefer to see a Device Monitor screenshot, please.

Start Device Monitor. On the left, click these checkboxes only.
Power, power set, temperature, temperature set, cold ohms, live ohms.

Take a puff or two, pause Device Monitor. Post screenshot of full screen (link in my signature line) cha

Edit: Slight changes, but I'll probably continue c&p from this post.

• Like 1

Hello @Wayneo!

I did put in some effort to learn about DNA devices prior to buying (watching videos, reading this forum and some others, etc.) My assumption was that TC mode might not be super easy but it must also not be tricky, and I had some experiences with other TC devices. I noticed my other RTA (Pandora V2) worked great in TC (same coil material, using either default SS316 profile & retird's one), so I suspected it might have something to do with the Blaze Solo RTA which I was having problem with. I have attached a screenshot of the Device Monitor according to your instruction and additional screenshots of the Atomizer Analyzer (taken over the course of a few minutes). Thank you very much for spending your time to help me!432824375_devicemonitor.thumb.png.1c1f4040bfebb75613e3a19b2a9419cd.png1.thumb.png.9d85ebfd8c236ee26a7da5713d8e51ce.png2.thumb.png.d6eebb22fd719244e1eb71b3599590c6.png3.thumb.png.47f3b95fe025aa645e1f901a7b110216.png4.thumb.png.26becb4d9a9430bf5ee59ff4fcaa7ef9.png5.thumb.png.c0eec542b85429e160562b7d01d18be0.png6.thumb.png.cc93620026089aa228e23a7d5da2a66b.png

Edited by lv21185

Thanks for those screenshots. Just perfect. 👍
Your coil is definitely reaching the temp limit you set. TC is working as expected, and your coil looks stable. I'd turn off all preheat settings, like 1 watt, punch at 1, and here's why.
If you look at that power line(green), it's less than 1 second with your punch to hit 50 watts, and then drops to just over 20 watts. That squiggly temp line(red), is like perfectly vertical meaning it has hit that temp limit and you're missing out on flavors of a complex ejuice.

By turning off all preheat settings you should get a gentler slope. You could also raise the temp limit leaving your current set watts.

Try those 2 things, and give me your thoughts. You want more clouds, or it was too hot, etc.

*If you look a bit lower from the top, do you see where it says "Current Profile: 5" well just a bit lower than that, you showed Profile 1, a kanthal profile so I couldn't actually see your settings. That's just a tip for the future

Hey Wayneo, I definitely forgot about high punch setting being bad for flavor, so I did what you suggested and turned them all down/off. I even set my wattage a bit low for my resistance (0.22), but the temp line is still quite steep (screenshot below):

image.thumb.png.7039b24512c147364e71bd9d9adf473b.png

And yes I also forgot to show the actual profile I was using, so this is it (after I turned of all punch settings):

image.png.4c781f6a754f5ca7741f6189a5c550a0.png

All that aside, my problem is still here: I feel the vapor is too cool at my usual setting for temp, which is a bit over 200 Celsius (I live in Asia). The reason is with my other mods (Voopoo Drag 3 & Hannya V2), the same wattage and temp setting results in a thicker and significantly warmer cloud. It's like the warmness we feel when vaping in regular wattage mode with the protection of TC (and flavors too), and I'm used to that. I tried setting the temp at 252 Celsius and it was definitely warmer, but that means I may need to set it to over 300 to get what I want, and that scares me because all the potential dangers with SS316L at such high temps. Also, from what I've learned, the ideal temp for vaping should be around 200 to 250 Celsius for different e-liquid. I tried 3 type of juices with different VG/PG ratios (50/50, 60/40 & 70/30) and it's the same. Since DNA chips are famous for accurate TC, could it be that my perception of warm and cold vape has always been false (because I only used crappy mods before)? And what do you think is the ideal & safe temperature range to vape at? Funny thing is with my smaller MLT RTAs, it seems to work just like my other mods, and only my larger RTAs (Blaze Solo, Arbiter 2) are all cold. Anyway thanks a lot for your answers! At least I now know my coils are stable enough :)

Edited by lv21185

3 hours ago, lv21185 said:

All that aside, my problem is still here: I feel the vapor is too cool at my usual setting for temp, which is a bit over 200 Celsius (I live in Asia).

Oh, I hear you. 
You should have no fears at all with SS at 300°C. The temp required before any sort of offgassing is more than double that.
We all like and tolerate different temps. Even my preferences have changed and are now ~390-490°F(200-255°C) moreso based on time of day.
PG and VG can break down at higher temps BUT you should notice it

And here's what the problems are
If you feed these mods good information they will be accurate BUT most manufacturers do NOT set them up fully. Mod resistance left at default, Thermal characteristics left at default, and SS is an alloy.
If you look at escribe - mod - thermal there are 5 different parameters that say how long it takes your mod to cool, how much it changes plugging into USB, etc. These all increase the accuracy of your mod as well as the current ambient temperature. When some of those align and you measure your coil resistance you'll have great accurate TC. According to your screenshot when yours was measured, it was ~26°C. TC values are always a pair. Your Ohms Ω, and the temp.

Replay with 'watts' as your material will give you the vape you desire and dry hit protection without the temps

• Like 1

I changed my wick from dedicated vape cotton to the cheap Japanese cotton, and it was significantly better lol (still cooler than my other TC mods though). I guess I will need to do a better job at wicking my tanks, plus try raising the temp above my "comfort zone" from now on.

By the way, I haven't touched any of the mod settings in Escribe because almost all tutorials I've come across basically say "leave those alone" or "they're for manufacturers only". I'm curious though and would like to tinker with them a bit to optimize my device, but only if I have the correct values for those parameters. Do you know how I can obtain them? Thank you again for your detailed and super helpful responds!!!